Espn on perry and mobile qbs

Noticed that we are rated third in the league by espn of the top five four are in the other division. In my view FSU and Miami should be in the championship game. This season lays out nicely for us with easy games up front except FSU and we can lose that one and get to,play them later. No excuses this year.

Advertisement
Stoped reading as soon as the writer mentioned a comparison to Lamar Jackson.

They're not similar players at all. Jackson is a dynamic scrambler in the mold of Michael Vick. Perry is a mobile QB who uses his legs to extend the play while keeping his eyes downfield--similar to Teddy Bridgewater.

His rushing stats are meaningless because he's not a scrambling QB. But if you watch his highlights you can clearly see he has the ability to avoid pressure, extend plays with his legs and pick up a few first downs with his legs when needed.

No, he's not a running QB, but I swear some people think he's dual threat for some reason. He's got a great arm and can move away from pressure, but he's not going to take off for long runs. He's not a dual threat guy, but a guy that can pick you apart when it looks like the play is breaking down. As long as he keeps the chains moving, that is all I care about. If he can run for 5 yards on 3rd and 4, he's good in my book.

melanin

He will get murdered if he runs in college. This kid doesn't have the size that Tebow, Newton or Prescott has.

Perry is mobile in the same way that Aaron Rodgers and Jameis Winston are. They all have an amazing feel for pressure and know how to instinctively move within the pocket and behind the LOS to evade it while still looking to throw, when things break down they can pick up some yards. But none are real running QBs

I get what you're saying and agree, but Rodgers can really scoot even as an older guy.

Advertisement
He will get murdered if he runs in college. This kid doesn't have the size that Tebow, Newton or Prescott has.

He's about the same size Deshaun Watson was when he started at Clemson ... And Deshaun didn't make it through his freshman season.

So, you're not wrong.

Hopefully CMR employs the Chip Kelly rules of QB running: Touchdown; First Down; Get Down. LOL

He's about the same size Deshaun Watson was when he started at Clemson ... And Deshaun didn't make it through his freshman season.

So, you're not wrong.

Hopefully CMR employs the Chip Kelly rules of QB running: Touchdown; First Down; Get Down. LOL

Chip Kelly, Urban Meyer, Dabo, and Dan Mullen all run a dual threat offense that has designed run plays for the qb... the RPO isnt that type of offense.

I still can't believe Allison turned out to be such a sackless little pansy. I thought for sure he was going to take the starting job!

If u watch the film and listened to the qb gurus here u would know he was buns sauce a long time ago

Advertisement
We need a QB that can extend plays. Not necessarily a running QB.

Exactly what we need. We've had a QB for 3 years who basically couldn't move at all. He'd get in his drop and be a sitting target. He couldn't move in the pocket and posed no threat at all of moving outside the pocket and throwing on the run. It's hard to make a lot of plays when your QB can't move at all.

Perry is mobile in the same way that Aaron Rodgers and Jameis Winston are. They all have an amazing feel for pressure and know how to instinctively move within the pocket and behind the LOS to evade it while still looking to throw, when things break down they can pick up some yards. But none are real running QBs

One of these QBs is not like the other two...

I'm wishing Perry as much success as the next guy, but y'all are setting the young bul up for failure with these skyhigh expectations

Honestly, the "mobility" thing is way overblown.

First of all, give me a QB who can make good decisions, accurate throws, and be a leader for his team.

Next, give me a guy who can move in the pocket just good enough to set up a better throw or scrambles for a few yards if he needs to. Turning a sack into a 4-6 yard gain can be a big difference maker. Nobody's expecting Perry to break off 40+ yard runs like Lamar Jackson.

100% accurate.

Mobility starts with movement/feel in the pocket to extend routes and passing lanes.

Then, it's a factor in being able to move the chains with your feet when it's 3rd and 5.

If you're building your offense around the QB having 100 yards rushing every game, then you either are stuck in 1982 running the wishbone, or you have serious problems elsewhere on that side of the ball.

Advertisement

I get what you're saying and agree, but Rodgers can really scoot even as an older guy.

Listen, I want Perry ... or anyone who puts on that helmet with the U on the side .... to be wonderfully successful. But you just compared him to an athletic freak that is a starting QB in pro football, and another QB who is has been a Super Bowl and NFL MVP.

Easy on the great expectations, Charles ****ens

First of all, give me a QB who can make good decisions, accurate throws, and be a leader for his team.

Next, give me a guy who can move in the pocket just good enough to set up a better throw or scrambles for a few yards if he needs to. Turning a sack into a 4-6 yard gain can be a big difference maker. Nobody's expecting Perry to break off 40+ yard runs like Lamar Jackson.

Exactly! Look at some of the best in the NFL today. Brady is no runner, but knows how to avoid the sack without throwing into coverage. Rivers is as slow as they come, but he knows where the rush is coming from and how to avoid it. Same with Eli Manning and Joe Flacco. Rothlesberger has the advantage of size, but even he is no runner but instead a smart QB who know how to keep a play alive. Wilson has good mobility, but for every Wilson there is a Kaepernick who flames out in the NFL. QBs have to read defenses and adjust when protection breaks down. That includes knowing when to throw it away. I'm betting that Richt molds Perry into such a QB.

One of these QBs is not like the other two...

I'm wishing Perry as much success as the next guy, but y'all are setting the young bul up for failure with these skyhigh expectations

That's a comparison in play style, not an expectation.

Advertisement

Just found his high school rushing stats...

N'kosi Perry's (Ocala, FL) Football Stats | MaxPreps

Key numbers this season:

4 interceptions in 10 games

64 percent completion rate

1778 passing yards

24 touchdowns

1.8 yards a carry and I think that includes sacks but not sure? If so then bard would have -5 lol

16 yards a carry

:U5PyXda:

If Perry was white this article wouldn't exist. Weldon is more of a rushing threat than Perry is. No reason whatsoever to compare Perry to Jackson.

Perry is gonna be a good one but not because of his legs

He certainly can extend plays and I like the low interception numbers, but I don't see reading through his progression very many times in his film. Seems to just rely on his mobility to make a play. All that is good, but cant be relied on at this level. I hope he excels for the teams sake. Dont think Rosier is the answer.

Hes more like Aaron Rodgers . Not Jackson.

Granted not in Rodgers domain in terms of greatness but Rodgers extends plays with his mobility but isn't considered a running qb

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Advertisement
Back