Ereck Flowers

Nelson had a lot of issues with jump sets last year. At OG you don't have a buffer of space - the action happens right off the snap. That would only exacerbate his issues.

You don't take a guy who has issues with technique and assignment and move him to another position with a fresh learning curve. Fans who know nothing about OL play always wanna do this.

Nelson just needs practice reps and a scheme that suits his skillset better. He has the physical traits to be a good vertical-setting OT who can move around in the run game.
This is ridiculous and a closed minded thinking that a player can’t succeed at another position other than tackle on the oline . This happens all the time actually in tackles making the transition to guard. You never know if you don’t try it .

Nelson struggles off the snap on the edge and still did late in the season. Him playing directly next to a center would help knowing when to directly fire off the ball too when the ball is snapped. He has the run blocking prowess to play guard just with the mentality he plays with and he has the ability to pull very well, he just would need to get bigger. In his full season last year he doesn’t handle athletic players very well off the edge at all despite whatever athletic traits you think he has to succeed at the position. Nothing he put on film last year showed he can be a good vertical setting OT but he did show he can succeed as a run blocker at times that was literally the best aspect of Nelson’s game last year . His pass pro set was terrible last year and needs work on his kick step ASAP in pass protection . Plus calm it down I played OT before and know wtf I’m talking about.

Some of his issues were the same flowers had experienced in the league earlier when he played for the giants but when they moved him to guard with the redskins it suited his game better. Literally the same issues Zion experienced with being late off the ball and getting abused on the edge and struggling with power at times... it was just a suggestion at the end of the day, not saying he absolutely should play guard.

Last edited:
Advertisement
This is ridiculous and a closed minded thinking that a player can’t succeed at another position other than tackle on the oline . This happens all the time actually in tackles making the transition to guard. Nelson struggles off the snap on the edge and still did late in the season. Him playing directly next to a center would help knowing when to directly fire off the ball too when the ball is snapped. He has the run blocking prowess to play guard just with the mentality he plays with and he has the ability to pull very well, he just would need to get bigger. In his full last year he doesn’t handle athletic players very well off the edge at all despite whatever athletic traits you think he has to succeed at the position. Nothing he put on film last year showed he can be a good vertical setting OT but he did show he can succeed as a run blocker at times that was literally the best aspect of Nelson’s game last year . His pass pro set was terrible last year and needs work on his kick step ASAP in pass protection . Plus calm it down I played OT before and know wtf I’m talking about.

Some of his issues were the same flowers had experienced in the league earlier when he played for the giants but when they moved him to guard with the redskins it suited his game better. Literally the same issues Zion experienced with being late off the ball and getting abused on the edge and struggling with power at times... it was just a suggestion at the end of the day.
Agree with your assessment. Tackle or guard it was a travesty the kid was put in such a position last year. Hopefully he's given a true redshirt and next year he can truly be ready to compete where Justice deems is his ideal spot on the line.

Agree with your assessment. Tackle or guard it was a travesty the kid was put in such a position last year. Hopefully he's given a true redshirt and next year he can truly be ready to compete where Justice deems is his ideal spot on the line.
Justice seems to be the goods so we will see if he can develop the oline. I think He can honestly

He really, really cannot bend. He couldn’t bend for the small guys off the edge.

Some genius saw the talent in this kid and tried him at guard and completely turned his life around.

Who cares if if you can’t bend but you can throw 300 pound grown men like rag dolls ? Ereck went through **** to earn the bag.

This whole thing nothing short of amazing.

He sucks real talk....Everytime I watched him last season vs the gmen he wasn't all that he was basically the same player. Regardless what stats say....when u get pushed around u get pushed around.

Advertisement
He sucks real talk....Everytime I watched him last season vs the gmen he wasn't all that he was basically the same player. Regardless what stats say....when u get pushed around u get pushed around.

He’s having a rough spring

Advertisement
Brandon scherff one of the better guards in the league, flowers outplayed him last year by a good margin in **** near every game
Ok let's wait to see if he does it a few years in a row before I believe. Any player can have one good year it doesn't guarantee the following year they will be good again.....especially for a player that's struggled mightily throughout their career.

This is ridiculous and a closed minded thinking that a player can’t succeed at another position other than tackle on the oline . This happens all the time actually in tackles making the transition to guard. You never know if you don’t try it .

Nelson struggles off the snap on the edge and still did late in the season. Him playing directly next to a center would help knowing when to directly fire off the ball too when the ball is snapped. He has the run blocking prowess to play guard just with the mentality he plays with and he has the ability to pull very well, he just would need to get bigger. In his full season last year he doesn’t handle athletic players very well off the edge at all despite whatever athletic traits you think he has to succeed at the position. Nothing he put on film last year showed he can be a good vertical setting OT but he did show he can succeed as a run blocker at times that was literally the best aspect of Nelson’s game last year . His pass pro set was terrible last year and needs work on his kick step ASAP in pass protection . Plus calm it down I played OT before and know wtf I’m talking about.

Some of his issues were the same flowers had experienced in the league earlier when he played for the giants but when they moved him to guard with the redskins it suited his game better. Literally the same issues Zion experienced with being late off the ball and getting abused on the edge and struggling with power at times... it was just a suggestion at the end of the day, not saying he absolutely should play guard.

Moving backwards and absorbing force is unnatural. Fans think swapping sides or positions for an OL is as easy as WRs moving along the formation. The footwork and muscle memory doesn't transfer like that. Even experienced pros struggle with it a lot of the time. Zion needs less on his plate not more.

If Nelson struggles timing the snap and getting off the ball what do you think will happen if he's inside where **** happens even faster? Alex Cappa was a 4 year LT in college and it took him a redshirt year to get used to the pace and physicality of the OG position. You also say Zion struggles with power - well you see way more bullrushes from bigger dudes inside than outside.

Flowers and Nelson do not have the same traits. Flowers is stiff and has/had issues with pad level, balance and hand placement. But he's big and powerful. Nelson is agile and smooth athletically but had major technical and mental issues last year. Stance and footwork in particular. Unlike Flowers Zion can't just fall back on his size and envelop lesser guys.

Neg me all you want but the bottom line is you don't know what you're talking about. You're putting way too much emphasis on film results from poor circumstances instead of evaluating traits and projecting skills. Being a raw 18 year old LT who played in the worst possible scheme after rapid weight gain - that's not the story of Zion's career. With OL it's about the WHY and HOW not the "what". That's what I've learned from Duke Manyweather who trains top OL and prospects like Terron Armstead and Mekhi Becton.

Advertisement

Madden doesn't count.

Guard might be a better spot for Zion right now , he’s strong as an ox and is a good athlete. Tackle seems to be overwhelming him. He’d also have some help.

Advertisement
Nelson had a lot of issues with jump sets last year. At OG you don't have a buffer of space - the action happens right off the snap. That would only exacerbate his issues.

You don't take a guy who has issues with technique and assignment and move him to another position with a fresh learning curve. Fans who know nothing about OL play always wanna do this.

Nelson just needs practice reps and a scheme that suits his skillset better. He has the physical traits to be a good vertical-setting OT who can move around in the run game.

No chance i would put him at Guard. He isnt strong at Tackle.

If they did what i thought early in the season we likely win UF game off bat. They should have played Scaife at tackle to start the season...and work Nelson in. Not reqard him for being the tallest midget and have him have his *** handed to him.

I have solid hopes for Nelson out wide though..he has some ability.

Ereck Flowers and Nelson isnt a good comparison as Ereck was always a strong kid...even coming into UM. Nelson is coming to UM at like 255 pounds. He is getting comfortable in his weight

No chance i would put him at Guard. He isnt strong at Tackle.

If they did what i thought early in the season we likely win UF game off bat. They should have played Scaife at tackle to start the season...and work Nelson in. Not reqard him for being the tallest midget and have him have his *** handed to him.

I have solid hopes for Nelson out wide though..he has some ability.

Ereck Flowers and Nelson isnt a good comparison as Ereck was always a strong kid...even coming into UM. Nelson is coming to UM at like 255 pounds. He is getting comfortable in his weight

I posted to nauseam last off season that Scaife should be the tackle opening night.

Not sure if it was lake or ivins but on their podcast they said what I’ve been saying about scaife. He’s the best tackle option but they keep ******* with him at guard.

Lmfao at comparing Nelson to Flowers who was always a mauler and dominant at playing down hill since he was at Norland opening up lanes for Duke

Advertisement
Back