Soccer England - USA (futbol/soccer)

Give me ten minutes, I'll make you a francophile.
I mean I like their food and wine. I still like Giroud. I also find the people dressing up as Crusaders (as is custom for English fans) in the Arabic world to tickle the dark humor itch, deliberate or not. It does seem like something is missing from this English squad. I just don't know what. There's also the lingering threat of Maguire doing Maguire things.

Advertisement
I mean I like their food and wine. I still like Giroud. I also find the people dressing up as Crusaders (as is custom for English fans) in the Arabic world to tickle the dark humor itch, deliberate or not. It does seem like something is missing from this English squad. I just don't know what. There's also the lingering threat of Maguire doing Maguire things.
A quality CB, a quality CM and a quality #9 is what's missing.

It is wild how Rice just stagnated in his development. Grealish to an extent too.
Rice is excellent, but you need another player next to him (whether you're playing a 4-2-3-1 or a 4-3-3). Henderson is past his best. Bellingham DESPERATELY wants to play as a #10. Gallagher hasn't been given a chance. Phillips is average.

Grealish has always been a one trick pony (albeit it's a good trick).

Personally I wouldn't start Kane (he doesn't fit the system), but we don't have anyone else with Calvert-Lewin being injured and Abraham being left out of the squad. The #9 is meant to be the tip of the spear, yet Kane is often found trying to link play up in midfield.

Saka is hugely important to us too.
Harry Kane, along with Lewandoski, Haaland and Benzema are the top strikers in the world. Dude is a beast and as a Bayern fan I want him on my team next year.

Southgate is the tactic guy the times Kane has to play in the ways you described is because he’s not involving him in the game plan the way he should.

With the wingers England has and Kane on top, they should dominate most teams. Without Kane, it’s just a lost group of very skilled players. Just go look at my Germany team without a #9.

Advertisement
Dave Chappelle Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live
Lol. **** you!

****, had some opportunities and didn't capitalize.

Adam's catching a breather or just loafing on that first goal was a bad mistake.

Second goal, flat footed defense that needed to close down on that cross rather than watch it, make the window of opportunity smaller.

Dumfries really snuck in the back door on that third goal.

No moral victories, but our style of play is improving Young team that should be even better in 4 years here at home.

The Dutch deserved it and capitalized on their opportunities. Very cool, calm, and collected approach by then, helps when you go up first.
Even at 74. The Dutch have a WC coach. The US doesn’t. Berhalter is pretty ****** although he wasn’t as terrible as he has been in the past this tournament.

It is wild how Rice just stagnated in his development. Grealish to an extent too.
Declan Rice is a beast defensive midfielder. He really does a lot of damage to the offensive tactical plans of teams. Just needs a more offensive minded MF next to him.

Grealish is a *****

I told you at the time that Southgate left the handbrake on for that game - he just didn't want to lose.

Look at every other game we've played this World Cup - we've battered everyone (and no, I don't think we're going to win the thing).
Question... since I'm just a fair weather futbol/soccer fan who usually just watches the World/Euro/CONCAF/Gold cups.

I also thought the US played England really well, but maybe that was just that England was taking it easy trying not to make a mistake.

Do you think that the US matched up better than other teams that England has played, and that's why they played it that way?

I also liked the way the US started against Netherlands... with a couple early chances. However, I was impressed with Netherlands counter ... it really reminded me of the good Italy teams and how they used to play great defense and get counter goals.

Figured get your thoughts on that tho

Advertisement
Harry Kane, along with Lewandoski, Haaland and Benzema are the top strikers in the world. Dude is a beast and as a Bayern fan I want him on my team next year.

Southgate is the tactic guy the times Kane has to play in the ways you described is because he’s not involving him in the game plan the way he should.

With the wingers England has and Kane on top, they should dominate most teams. Without Kane, it’s just a lost group of very skilled players. Just go look at my Germany team without a #9.
He drops far too deep to be considered a #9. It works at Tottenham when Son is willing and able to run beyond him. For England he's the tip of the spear, except he's often in midfield.

Give me a fit Dominic Calvert-Lewin over Kane for England any day of the week. At least you'll occasionally see him in the box.

Question... since I'm just a fair weather futbol/soccer fan who usually just watches the World/Euro/CONCAF/Gold cups.

I also thought the US played England really well, but maybe that was just that England was taking it easy trying not to make a mistake.

Do you think that the US matched up better than other teams that England has played, and that's why they played it that way?

I also liked the way the US started against Netherlands... with a couple early chances. However, I was impressed with Netherlands counter ... it really reminded me of the good Italy teams and how they used to play great defense and get counter goals.

Figured get your thoughts on that tho
Southgate was obviously more afraid of you than he was Iran and Wales and set out to draw the game. That said, if we'd have nicked a goal against you, the match would have gone the same way as the Wales and Senegal games.

You have a very athletic midfield, but absolutely nothing upfront - you never threatened us and Southgate was perfectly content to take the point.

Southgate was obviously more afraid of you than he was Iran and Wales and set out to draw the game. That said, if we'd have nicked a goal against you, the match would have gone the same way as the Wales and Senegal games.

You have a very athletic midfield, but absolutely nothing upfront - you never threatened us and Southgate was perfectly content to take the point.
I thought our defense was good until we played Netherlands. And actually it wasn't that the D was bad... just that they got out of positions and lost their marks when Netherlands countered with extra attackers.

When you say 'upfront'... and sorry I'm not down with the lingo... you mean the 'offense' or 'strikers'/'forwards' (not sure the proper names) like Pulisic and Musah and Weah? If so, not disagreeing there... Pulisic is decent... but he's past his prime and starting to go the way of Donovan and that other guy whom I'm forgetting his name that was also in studio (used to flow worse than Vlade Divac used to! you probably know who I'm talking about).

Thanks for the info though and guess my interpretation was wrong. It just seemed similar to situations like Utah and Oregon recently in college football. Where Oregon is usually the better team, but Utah has their number. Not to that degree of course, but you probably get where I was going. Thought maybe the US was just slowing the English down or giving them fits.

Welp... see you all in 4 years!

Just kidding... I'll probably revisit this thread here and there through the rest of the tourney. Best of luck to our old buddies from across the pond! I'm rooting for Netherlands... but only because they wear Orange, no other reason whatsoever!

Advertisement
I thought our defense was good until we played Netherlands. And actually it wasn't that the D was bad... just that they got out of positions and lost their marks when Netherlands countered with extra attackers.

When you say 'upfront'... and sorry I'm not down with the lingo... you mean the 'offense' or 'strikers'/'forwards' (not sure the proper names) like Pulisic and Musah and Weah? If so, not disagreeing there... Pulisic is decent... but he's past his prime and starting to go the way of Donovan and that other guy whom I'm forgetting his name that was also in studio (used to flow worse than Vlade Divac used to! you probably know who I'm talking about).

Thanks for the info though and guess my interpretation was wrong. It just seemed similar to situations like Utah and Oregon recently in college football. Where Oregon is usually the better team, but Utah has their number. Not to that degree of course, but you probably get where I was going. Thought maybe the US was just slowing the English down or giving them fits.

Just kidding... I'll probably revisit this thread here and there through the rest of the tourney. Best of luck to our old buddies from across the pond! I'm rooting for Netherlands... but only because they wear Orange, no other reason whatsoever!
Get into clubs! It is really fascinating seeing how different teams approach the game and build their own identities and how each league does the same. Much higher quality of play too.

Yes I meant you have no strikers.

Get into clubs! It is really fascinating seeing how different teams approach the game and build their own identities and how each league does the same. Much higher quality of play too.
A proper club though, none of this 'EPL' bull ****.

Advertisement
What's EPL? Just a guess without looking it up, but maybe European Player League?

Does ****nal or Manchester United count? I don't even know what I'm talking about.

While ****nal is my main club, I have a soft spot for Ipswich Town as well. Had an old friend from there. It is just much harder to follow even the Championship from the states.

What's EPL? Just a guess without looking it up, but maybe European Player League?

Does ****nal or Manchester United count? I don't even know what I'm talking about.
EPL = English Premier League. So top flight in England. With the promotion/relegation system, England had a pyramid of 7 or so leagues. Teams at the bottom of the upper level will drop to the one below it each year, and teams at the top of the lower level will move up one. There are a number of clubs that will likely never leave the Premier League - Man City, Man U., ****nal, Chelsea, Tottenham, and Liverpool, there are a number that would be surprising to drop (Everton), and then there are a whole bunch that go up and down every couple of years. It tends to make things interesting across the board.

Advertisement
Back