Soccer England - USA (futbol/soccer)

Sadly England were playing with the handbrake on.

Comfortable 0-0 draw without ever being troubled. It's a shame that's how Southgate likes to play, but he's got us to the semi-final and final of the last two tournaments we've played, so I guess it works.

Advertisement
Anyone watching besides @MadCane and I?

I’m not too impressed with the 2nd half against Wales … but hopefully Reyna (not starting) plays today against England

England on the other hand reminds me of Notre Dame in fooseball… usually overrated in the World Cup

Hoping the US can pull the upset or a tie.
So, gotta beat Iran Monday to advance. On TV @ 1pm.

Need an offensive spark. I fully understand the defensive play against an England team with far superior talent. Gotta go forward a bit more, though, against the Iranians.

Correct, we have no path to advancing without a W against Iran. They are likely going to play lockdown defense to try to escape with a draw, maybe a counter attack breakthrough if things fall at their feet. All of the pressure will be on our squad, and it will be interesting to see how they respond. Our impact players are all very young so either a) the moment will be too big for them or b) they won't give two fvcks because nobody is giving us a chance anyway and they'll play like their hair is on fire.

We should have put home one of those chances we had today. Really happy with how they played though, the US was clearly the better team today.
It was a decent game on the US side. The way England played was similar to how they played in the Euro final against Italy a year or two ago. Italy is way better than the US and just ran circles around England.

But I could definitely see the US come out and win, or a scrappy game where Iran gets in their heads and it’s a draw (or lose if they go aggressive trying to win late or a counter).

I was disappointed that the US coach substituted so late. Reyna came in late (like 85th min) and only had a couple touches so I couldn’t get a grasp of if he was injured or not. If he’s healthy, he’s got to play more… unless he’s lost the spark he used to have. Reyna (at full strength) and Pulisic would be a good tag team on offense

So, gotta beat Iran Monday to advance. On TV @ 1pm.

Need an offensive spark. I fully understand the defensive play against an England team with far superior talent. Gotta go forward a bit more, though, against the Iranians.
It’s actually Tuesday at 2pm EST (US-Iran)

Advertisement

Comfortable 0-0 draw without ever being troubled. It's a shame that's how Southgate likes to play, but he's got us to the semi-final and final of the last two tournaments we've played, so I guess it works.
"Controlled it from the back" I think he said. It gets them through to the knockout stage, but I would just like to see them go all out to win for a change. Italy were there for the taking. Not old enough to have seen England win anything but I am getting up there.

Anyone watching besides @MadCane and I?

I’m not too impressed with the 2nd half against Wales … but hopefully Reyna (not starting) plays today against England

England on the other hand reminds me of Notre Dame in fooseball… usually overrated in the World Cup

Hoping the US can pull the upset or a tie.
You lot played well, of course these kind of games you normally play like it's your World Cup final. Wales will do the same to us on Tuesday. We were **** poor but I got carried away and thought we'd embarrass you. Southgate needs to go, bringing on Henderson to shut up shop against a poorer opponent? Ridiculous

He's far too negative and inept, the Euros final was the perfect example. We won't win a thing under him and we're doing a Belgium, wasting our best chance

Advertisement
Also, for fun, was looking up Tyler Adams wiki page and noticed this
1669432183761.png

Don't be Scotland. Nobody wants to be Scotland.

Enjoy your 0-0 win.
The thing I hate most about soccer/futbol… is the shootout if game is tied. It’s such an anti climatic way to end a game… especially if it’s for the World Cup. I think they should go to sudden death and allow more subs after the Extra Time. Maybe go to 9 on 9 or 8 on 8 to speed things up

Anyone with me on that? 😂

I’m not a soccer fan BUT these young USA kids have there hearts and battled against a huge physical England team it was fiercely played on both side.

Maybe I was just ripe desperate for my home town team to play all out passionate effort, I DID in this one.I was looking at USA eyes and saw a very deep focus look of being tuned in to a fight for survival.
USA woul not go quietly without leave a mark WE WERE HERE .

We play Iran next , I can’t imagine what will happen to those Iranian players when USA wins the Iranians may slaughter them on Iranian TV.

All I know is we must win this match

Go USA

Advertisement
Don't be Scotland. Nobody wants to be Scotland.

Enjoy your 0-0 win.
If we don't win against Iran and make it out of the group stage, then this game will be a disappointment in retrospect. But if you're a clear underdog in a game that allows ties (USA win +650, draw was +325), it's obviously a good result

I'm watching though I don't have much hope for the US. I usually pick a rando team and just go with it. This year I'm going with Uruguay--no connections to the country. Just going with it.

I'm watching though I don't have much hope for the US. I usually pick a rando team and just go with it. This year I'm going with Uruguay--no connections to the country. Just going with it.
All these teams are elite and we’re right there in the fight.
I agree this is a growing experience for us we absorb it and adjust for future.

For now, I love our attitude in battle we’re in it competing with the best.

Go USA

Advertisement
Yeah I usually go with Italy as my 2nd team but they didn’t make it again (although I don’t follow them closely so maybe they are rebuilding … but when they won the Euro a year or two ago they looked awesome, so that is surprising). I think this is the 2nd time in a row Italy didn’t make it right?

My third choice after US and Italy is Netherlands. No real reason other than they wear orange and it’s my fav color!

Funny article. Remember when sports used to only be about the game played and none of this other woke, political nonsense? All sports need to get back to that, cause u are embarrassing yourself similar to the US Woman’s soccer team

Sports is where we all go to get away from politics and woke boo shizzle. Yet now we all get to wonder what is going to happen before or after the national anthem(s) or what type of garbo messages will be painted on the court/field. Get that **** outta dodge and let’s play ball!

Funny article. Remember when sports used to only be about the game played and none of this other woke, political nonsense? All sports need to get back to that, cause u are embarrassing yourself similar to the US Woman’s soccer team

Sports is where we all go to get away from politics and woke boo shizzle. Yet now we all get to wonder what is going to happen before or after the national anthem(s) or what type of garbo messages will be painted on the court/field. Get that **** outta dodge and let’s play ball!

Great point, I saw both coaches after the match talking smiling patting each other on the back a great example.

For me with all the stress we all have in different ways was able to get our minds away and be kids for a couple hours and watch a 0-0 game with so much excitement of near miss goals .I focused on the physical play both sides.
That England team looked much bigger than USA kids but we are fast where England has experienced and deep bench Andover played wide eyed up to the task.
I look forward to Iran match whenever that is.

It’s funny I know nothing of soccer but ended up watching every second of it , it’s truly a World Cup for all.

Advertisement
Back