Encouraging quote about Flagg

It's from another site (Inside the U), but it confirms what I've thought about him, "According to PFF, Flagg graded out as UM’s best tackler on the season and didn’t miss a single tackle during the 206 defensive snaps he earned."

They go onto to say that even though he's kind of limited physically, his instincts are so good to go along with his tackling, that if S&C can get him a "tick faster" he can be a really effective CFB LB. Totally agree and I don't know what his physical ceiling is, but if he puts in the work, it's hard for me to believe that he can't shave some time off his shuttle and his 40. Excited to see what he can do this season.
He should get a tick faster by trimming some of that baby fat he has

Advertisement
sorry but what defense doesn't need guys who "can diagnose quickly and get to the right spot." where are the defenses out there that are successful w/ players who diagnose plays slowly and don't get to the right spots on time? i'm all ears. ppl just start to parrot these lines of argument without stopping to think if they actually make sense.

We don’t really assign gaps, so our scheme is much more demanding for instincts and recognition. That’s why the guys we have signed since Manny has been here are head scratchers.

McCloud and Jennings would look a lot better as 3-4 middle backers cut loose to plug holes and dominate gaps. They don’t fit what we demand at all and never showed it. Flagg is EXACTLY what we want but his athleticism is below the Miami standard.

If you are not going to assign gaps and protect your linebackers with lineman eating backs, you better be signing guys with elite instincts and ability to navigate through traffic. We didn’t do that and we looked really bad last year.

The expectations for Flagg that have somehow prompted disappointment at this stage are a bit mystifying. He is a 3* true freshman who got no spring or summer ball, was coming off injury, got covid, and still was serviceable. The team underperformed, but not because of Flagg.

Advertisement
It's from another site (Inside the U), but it confirms what I've thought about him, "According to PFF, Flagg graded out as UM’s best tackler on the season and didn’t miss a single tackle during the 206 defensive snaps he earned."

They go onto to say that even though he's kind of limited physically, his instincts are so good to go along with his tackling, that if S&C can get him a "tick faster" he can be a really effective CFB LB. Totally agree and I don't know what his physical ceiling is, but if he puts in the work, it's hard for me to believe that he can't shave some time off his shuttle and his 40. Excited to see what he can do this season.
He needs to hit the track (all the players) to do sprints and plyometrics. Both are game changers. Basically, train like a sprinter and any player can improve in speed, quickness, and twitch.

You're not going to get faster by just doing squats and other leg exercises with weights. You may even get slower despite getting stronger.

I'm a big fan of plyometrics. Plyometrics give you better functional strength than just weight training. Back in the day I did plyometrics in the Spring and Summer after taking a sports nutrition class. In the Fall, I improved 3 tenths on my 60 (baseball player) and could dunk a basketball with two hands (I'm 6'2"). Plyometrics with sprints made my legs stronger and "twitchy."

I don't know what UM's strength and conditioning do, but they should incorporate plyometric speed and strength training. Perhaps they should get with the Women's track coach. I'm sure they do plyo's. Most track teams do.

Last edited:
He needs to hit the track (all the players) to do sprints and plyometrics. Both are game changers. Basically, train like a sprinter and any player can improve in speed, quickness, and twitch.

You're not going to get faster by just doing squats and other leg exercises with weights. You may even get slower despite getting stronger.

I'm a big fan of plyometrics. Plyometrics give you better functional strength than just weight training. Back in the day I did plyometrics in the Spring and Summer after taking a sports nutrition class. In the Fall, I improved 3 tenths on my 60 (baseball player) and could dunk a basketball with two hands (I'm 6'2"). Plyometrics with sprints made my legs stronger and "twitchy."

I don't know what UM's strength and conditioning do, but they should incorporate plyometric speed and strength training. Perhaps they should get with the Women's track coach. I'm sure they do plyo's. Most track teams do.
Solid post! I really could give two craps about Flagg's "NFL future." His college present and future is what concerns me and as you stated, I have zero doubt that if he puts in the work and applies himself (including game film and the cerebral part of being a LB), he will increase enough speed and twitch to develop into an effective QB of the D.

Plyos and running stadium steps to gain explosion...especially running stadium steps with a weighted vest.

Advertisement
He’s a jag but an all american if you compare him to the the rest in that bum room. One thing’s for sure. He’ll regress after this year. Same as all the true frosh lbs under mandy.

This sounds like an infomercial testimonial.

So many issues you have to put your entire hand on it since putting a finger on it isn't enough.

If you recruit athletes and speed it can hide coaching or flaws in your game. When you don't have speed or there are flaws in your game, and you aren't coached up or you are put in the wrong defense we really don't need me to go further.

We watched what happens.

I hope our defense turns the corner next year.

Advertisement
His commercial for an ab belt airs at 3am - call now for a free shake weight
charles barkley shake weight GIF

He’s a jag but an all american if you compare him to the the rest in that bum room. One thing’s for sure. He’ll regress after this year. Same as all the true frosh lbs under mandy.
why does anyone who thinks like this bother to watch the games?

Advertisement
Regarding not having the jets to get to the play - the scheme was flawed against the Heels. When Flagg wasn't in and they had "faster LB's" we were getting gashed just as much. His speed will not stop him from being effective in college.

With the stacked DL (especially the interior) and the way Simpson trains them to actually work with the entire D and not just rush up the field, Flagg can shine in this D going forward.

Scheme isn't going to change that much. I saw several Big 10 games where Northwestern LBs played very well against good teams, because their scheme and DC set them up for success. Flagg would have been fine in that program.

But against Ohio State they were smoked, and Flagg would have been smoked. Add in the fact our DC and scheme put way too much responsibility on our LBs, and I think he's a bad fit.

For example, our DL isn't even expected to chip the OL before crashing to the ball carrier (and more often than not missing), so our LBS have to navigate through an OG to even get a lick in. Our CBs were in soft zone 2/3rds of the plays, so our LB has to cover a slant over the middle coming at them full speed. Our safeties are often single high leaving a huge seam that our LBs have to somehow manage to.

It's a **** show for those guys. And we want a relatively unathletic kid to cover all that ground? Only athletes that could handle that variance and thrive would be guys like Perryman, Spence, Vilma. Shaq, who's a high quality second string NFL backer playing on Sundays now, could barely fill those shoes.

Advertisement
Back