Encouraging quote about Flagg

Advertisement
If he’s anywhere close to shaq we have a winner. It’s still too early to crown or stamp as a jag. I do like his football iq.
Not looking for insults or but would you consider that our best option at LB.

Advertisement
Yep, awareness is huge in this system at mike. I’d set him as the favorite to start unless we hit the portal. Cave is the one I have my eye on outside. I expect a big jump.

In my opinion a big part of the poor linebacker play was the lack of practice time. Especially for a guy like Huff, who obviously needed the extra work.

The reality is the spring and fall will be the first time any of them have had extended reps.

I'm not going to insult you because you do a well enough job showing your intelligence.

If you’re not crying you’re insulting the players, coaches and administration at the school.

Don’t stop now.

10 yards down the field. This is not picking on you, and not even on him- he is a kid..but he really only made a few plays all year. The rest of his supposedly great plays were tackling dudes after big gains. I do not know when this became something that our fan base celebrates. It's weird.

Yeah, I don't get it, I didn't even know this kid was on our team. I saw His name and I said "Who?!?!", like a night owl.

Advertisement
If he’s anywhere close to shaq we have a winner. It’s still too early to crown or stamp as a jag. I do like his football iq.

I don't think he gets there. He's a high floor low ceiling type player. Looked like a star vs. Duke and a scrub vs. UNC because he doesn't have enough jets to get to the ball vs better athletes. Happy to have him for his high IQ and team spirit. Could develop to being a #1 at a Ga Tech or a Northwestern. But IMO, we're not winning ACCCGs, much less NCGs, with this kid starting at LB.

Really don't understand how people bag on Shaq on this site. I mean, I guess I do, because look around. But it's crazy to me. We haven't been good in TWENTY years and people expect first rounder after first rounder at backer (and everywhere else). Insanity. Shaq was a good player. If we had 85 Shaq Quarterman talents/leaders at each respective position, this would be an insanely good program.

But no, we just continue to **** on kids who come here from 500 miles away, get thrust into a starting role as freshmen, work their asses off, sacrifice for the team the armchair QBs barely watch on Saturday's while they get drunk, earn a degree, and play football professionally. Makes sense.

Advertisement
It's from another site (Inside the U), but it confirms what I've thought about him, "According to PFF, Flagg graded out as UM’s best tackler on the season and didn’t miss a single tackle during the 206 defensive snaps he earned."

They go onto to say that even though he's kind of limited physically, his instincts are so good to go along with his tackling, that if S&C can get him a "tick faster" he can be a really effective CFB LB. Totally agree and I don't know what his physical ceiling is, but if he puts in the work, it's hard for me to believe that he can't shave some time off his shuttle and his 40. Excited to see what he can do this season.
The whole d should be as physically limited.

It's from another site (Inside the U), but it confirms what I've thought about him, "According to PFF, Flagg graded out as UM’s best tackler on the season and didn’t miss a single tackle during the 206 defensive snaps he earned."

They go onto to say that even though he's kind of limited physically, his instincts are so good to go along with his tackling, that if S&C can get him a "tick faster" he can be a really effective CFB LB. Totally agree and I don't know what his physical ceiling is, but if he puts in the work, it's hard for me to believe that he can't shave some time off his shuttle and his 40. Excited to see what he can do this season.
What was his grade against UNC?

Last edited:
with the way Manny wants his front four getting upfield, it really puts a strain on the LBs. So you need guys at LBs (and S) who can diagnose quickly and get to the right spot. If you don't have that, you end up with UNC getting 8-10 yds on the ground BEFORE contact (IIRC the on screen graphic during the game). It's one of the reasons the D looked so much better with Shaq and Quan in the back 7 - they knew where to be and they were good tacklers
sorry but what defense doesn't need guys who "can diagnose quickly and get to the right spot." where are the defenses out there that are successful w/ players who diagnose plays slowly and don't get to the right spots on time? i'm all ears. ppl just start to parrot these lines of argument without stopping to think if they actually make sense.

Advertisement
I don't think he gets there. He's a high floor low ceiling type player. Looked like a star vs. Duke and a scrub vs. UNC because he doesn't have enough jets to get to the ball vs better athletes. Happy to have him for his high IQ and team spirit. Could develop to being a #1 at a Ga Tech or a Northwestern. But IMO, we're not winning ACCCGs, much less NCGs, with this kid starting at LB.
Regarding not having the jets to get to the play - the scheme was flawed against the Heels. When Flagg wasn't in and they had "faster LB's" we were getting gashed just as much. His speed will not stop him from being effective in college.

With the stacked DL (especially the interior) and the way Simpson trains them to actually work with the entire D and not just rush up the field, Flagg can shine in this D going forward.

Coaching is what will be the difference maker at the second level, which is why I was disappointed Manny didn't make any changes to get us better teachers of the LB craft.

Corey is not fast, but he's plenty fast enough to play LB in the ACC. How we prepare them and what we ask them to do is what's important here. Not discounting speed, but dissecting what's happening in front of you, tracking, and getting the ball carrier on the ground are also hugely important. Corey has three of those four. He is a good looking LB for his classification.

Advertisement
Back