Encouraging quote about Flagg

filmcane

Redshirt Freshman
Premium
It's from another site (Inside the U), but it confirms what I've thought about him, "According to PFF, Flagg graded out as UM’s best tackler on the season and didn’t miss a single tackle during the 206 defensive snaps he earned."

They go onto to say that even though he's kind of limited physically, his instincts are so good to go along with his tackling, that if S&C can get him a "tick faster" he can be a really effective CFB LB. Totally agree and I don't know what his physical ceiling is, but if he puts in the work, it's hard for me to believe that he can't shave some time off his shuttle and his 40. Excited to see what he can do this season.

Advertisement
Advertisement
PFF isn’t a reliable source. You could let someone run by you and as long as you make no attempt to tackle, they don’t count it against you. What they won’t say is how he gets lost in the wash and isn’t ever in position to make tackles like the rest of our backers.

with the way Manny wants his front four getting upfield, it really puts a strain on the LBs. So you need guys at LBs (and S) who can diagnose quickly and get to the right spot. If you don't have that, you end up with UNC getting 8-10 yds on the ground BEFORE contact (IIRC the on screen graphic during the game). It's one of the reasons the D looked so much better with Shaq and Quan in the back 7 - they knew where to be and they were good tacklers

Advertisement
with the way Manny wants his front four getting upfield, it really puts a strain on the LBs. So you need guys at LBs (and S) who can diagnose quickly and get to the right spot. If you don't have that, you end up with UNC getting 8-10 yds on the ground BEFORE contact (IIRC the on screen graphic during the game). It's one of the reasons the D looked so much better with Shaq and Quan in the back 7 - they knew where to be and they were good tacklers

That defense looked good bc Quan was the best tackler I can remember here in a decade. He saved us more times than I can count. Shaq and Pinckney made plenty of plays bc they shot gaps but also got gashed a lot bc they chose wrong. That defense was effective bc of turnovers and tackles for loss.

That defense looked good bc Quan was the best tackler I can remember here in a decade. He saved us more times than I can count. Shaq and Pinckney made plenty of plays bc they shot gaps but also got gashed a lot bc they chose wrong. That defense was effective bc of turnovers and tackles for loss.
That also comes with continuity and trusting your teammates.

Advertisement
PFF isn’t a reliable source. You could let someone run by you and as long as you make no attempt to tackle, they don’t count it against you. What they won’t say is how he gets lost in the wash and isn’t ever in position to make tackles like the rest of our backers.
Quite the opposite. He was in position more often than not, despite his physical limitations.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back