Elijah Roberts to the portal

Advertisement
This has been my thought process as well. They think the portal about to fix this we got going on. They’re in for a rude awakening.

Kids go into the portal for a reason most of the time.
I get that we're unlikely to pick up too many perfect prospects, but the fact that 8 or so transfer portal players walked through the doors this summer and ate up significant playing time tells me that we can easily raise the floor of the programme with the right moves.

We have SO much chaff on this roster at the moment it's untrue.

Really, middling? I think that's very harsh.

Jackson and Mesidor are NFL players. Parrish and Young have been very good.

Moultrie, Agunde, Litchenstein and Ladson have added valuable depth. Denis, Johnson, Porter and Sagapolu have been warm bodies. **** even Stanley added to running Franklin off.

I'm more than OK with that hit rate.
Im ok with it it too.....but it got us 5 wins.

For some reason folks think we will be winning the acc because of...PORTAL...it aint happening.

Im saying temper the enthusiasm for wanting to throw away a bunch of kids.....Im expecting about the level of batch we got this year...
Im expecting the freshman class to be a big part of the change a bit. All the get rid of James Williams get rid of this one n that one isnt exactly gonna help the depth an competition aspect imo.

Mesidor and Kam are our 2 best defensive players

Advertisement
I don't like losing someone like this to the portal. If he was an upper classmen that would be a different story but DLinemen especially need time to bulk up and could've made an impact here as a Junior/Senior.

Sexy Party GIF

whats going to make this year any different?.

Considering most "portal" players are upper classmen who arent as impressionable as 17 yr old high school kids?>

The beast yall are expecting i think will generally be around the same level somewhat of what we got this year. We are gonna have to get guys from group of 5 looking to improve or maybe a guyy or two wanting to return to florida or going thru a coaching change type.

I dont see the "elite" guys yall are expecting choosing to come here when they will have better options etc.
well when guys come from Buffalo and CCs and become the best players on the team lately, I'll take our chances

Advertisement
For some strange reason...posters here think we are going to "flip" the roster with talent from out the portal.....

Majority of that talent in the portal will be castaways fromt heir previous school so this will be interesting to watch.

They keep saying we will have 40 new guys.....like it just will be 40 beast in the portal good enough to make up for the coaching defiicencies of Mario Cristobal.

Im not expecting to see a complete turn around that some are expecting...im expecting small steps in hopefully a new offensive staff. We will have talent deficiencies on Defense still next year imo due to previous recruiting and always losing guys like Elijah Roberts or depth pieces.
While this is true, we can't chagne the fact we haven't recruited up to par for years and years. We barely have serviceable LBs, just look at the difference with Wesley in there now. Every one of our well performing DL are portal aside from Taylor. Of course we need guys like Roberts for depth but the college football world has changed and kids like this don't need to wait if they want to play. We need to be able to find 5-10 workable players in the portal and continue to stack the classes.

This has been my thought process as well. They think the portal about to fix this we got going on. They’re in for a rude awakening.

Kids go into the portal for a reason most of the time.
Time are a changing. Impact players not cast offs hit the portal now. Even going back a few years.

Kyler Murray
Joe Burrow
Justin Fields
Jameson Williams
Jamar Gibbs
Jaydon Daniels
Jaelen Phillips
Travis Dye
Deriq King
Charleston Rambo
Bo Nix
Ahkeem Mesidor
Tyrique Stevenson
Jordan Travis
Tre Benson
Johnny Wilson
Jermaine Johnson
Jamie Robinson
Jared Verse
Fabian Lovett
Hendon Hooker
Caleb Williams
Jordan Addison

But yes the competition to get these guys will be as fierce as ever

Last edited:
Advertisement
The moment we lost to MTSU, this season was a lost cause. Mario had to have known that massive turnover would be needed. He should have spent rest of this season going out of his way to give playing time to youngstars and high effort, team first kids, even if they weren’t necessarily better than the kids in front of them. Those are the kids we want to keep. Instead, Mario played his original starters into conference play thinking we could turn things around.

I say all this to say some of the roster attrition we will have will hurt depth purposes next year and could have been prevented/minimized by finding ways to keep some of the kids that are worth investing in until a complete turnover is possible.

Time are a changing. Impact players not cast offs hit the portal now. Even going back a few years.

Kyler Murray
Joe Burrow
Justin Fields
Jameson Williams
Jamar Gibbs
Jaydon Daniels
Jaelen Phillips
Travis Dye
Deriq King
Charleston Rambo
Bo Nix
Ahkeem Mesidor
Tyrique Stevenson
Jordan Travis
Tre Benson
Johnny Wilson
Jermaine Johnson
Jamie Robinson
Jared Verse
Fabian Lovett
Hendon Hooker
Caleb Williams
Jordan Addison

Don’t forget about Anthony Brown…

Advertisement
For some strange reason...posters here think we are going to "flip" the roster with talent from out the portal.....

Majority of that talent in the portal will be castaways fromt heir previous school so this will be interesting to watch.

They keep saying we will have 40 new guys.....like it just will be 40 beast in the portal good enough to make up for the coaching defiicencies of Mario Cristobal.

Im not expecting to see a complete turn around that some are expecting...im expecting small steps in hopefully a new offensive staff. We will have talent deficiencies on Defense still next year imo due to previous recruiting and always losing guys like Elijah Roberts or depth pieces.

Those guys have been our best players over the past few years now.

My retort would be to ask you if replacing our bottom 30 players with 30 portal castaways if you'd significantly raise the floor of our roster.

No offense to Elijah Roberts, but when portal castaways like Antonio Moultrie and Jacob Lichtenstein come in and basically replace you and others like you that's pretty telling. Roberts seemed like a good 'Cane from a good family and we all had high hopes he's be a solid rotational defensive lineman at minimum...but it seems he has not yet become that for whatever reason. Maybe at his next stop. With that said...

If you replaced the Elijah Roberts on roster and guys below him on the depth chart with some Moultrie-Lichtenstein type of players, is Miami a better football team? For every Elijah Roberts we'd have to replace, there are plenty of known malcontents that hit the bricks and are also replaced with portal castaways. So...how much better are we in that scenario? I know if you look at the WR Room, that portal castaway is starting and challenging for some of our records, offensive scheme pending.

I'm sure Mario would likely agree...the rosters bottom 1/3 is unplayable right now. Many of these players were unplayable last year as well, and some the year before that, so...at some point do we welcome the land of misfit toys that must come like ripping off a bandaid to this program or do you just want to see if you can breed the institutional rot out of them. I think I'd just prefer the latter. The former seems like an unnecessarily ****ty time to be a fan of this program.

You know when the portal works for you? When you have proven coaches like Lincoln Riley that a top impact player like Jordan Addison will go to. Does King even come if Enos is still the OC? Mario gotta get this coaching corrected and then MAYBE we will be able to get impact players to come.

whats going to make this year any different?.

Considering most "portal" players are upper classmen who arent as impressionable as 17 yr old high school kids?>

The beast yall are expecting i think will generally be around the same level somewhat of what we got this year. We are gonna have to get guys from group of 5 looking to improve or maybe a guyy or two wanting to return to florida or going thru a coaching change type.

I dont see the "elite" guys yall are expecting choosing to come here when they will have better options etc.
When did that guy from Michigan State join the staff? I thought he came after signing day and was Mario’s portal manager.

I don't want him to leave and hope this staff can find the spot for him but as a safety I hope they give Markeith Williams a true shot to be the starter alongside Kam.Word is Williams has been killing it in practices.
Its just like the back up qb.

I seen Markeith Williams flash thouhg...hes a kid im glad took a shirt. Would like to see him add weight an move into his role.

They need to play the Balom's , Dunsons so we oculd have atleas see what we have more...but hey we lost to the games we wouldve expected blow out ....we lost so hey.

Advertisement
Back