Ed reed will give it to Manny straight.

O

There are plenty of people who know much more about running a successful college football program who also have no clue what Ed’s role is. He is a part time pawn in Blake and Manny’s chess game and that comes from people that have close ties to trustees and other major donors.
No offense, but your inside information is worth about as much as dental floss at a willie Nelson concert.

Advertisement
Ed was a hood ornament hired to take the heat off Blake James and the Hecht mafia when the masses were at unrest ...

.. even if he does suggest firings of the D corches (which I doubt he would), they will ignore him and move on. It not like he is a major booster like T Boone Pickens, or the team owner's son .... why the he11 should they pay attention to him.

Welp, we have a handful of games to see what can be done. We are sitting at 6-1 and could potentially run the table.

If we see our defense play to their potential like in the 4th quarter vs NC State only allowing 6 yards, then we have promise.

Guys like James Williams can be the difference makers in years to come.

Also.... What would this defense be like with Rousseau playing????
While you are clearly and greatly exaggerating when you imply that holding NCST to 6 yards in one quarter is our defense playing to their potential, I otherwise agree with the general idea/s you are trying to communicate here. Obviously, holding an opponent to 6 yards per quarter is an insane and impossible standard to hold our or any other defense to. Having said that I know and concur with what you are trying to say. That is that this defense, despite the holes that it has can and should be playing at a considerably higher level. It is also reasonable to theorize that if Diaz took over calling the defense that it would have a significant impact on their performance. This together with our offense that is beginning to come into it's own could very well put us in position to win out and finish the regular season 10-1.

I also think it's fair to say that an infusion of elite level talent into the defense and a much better DC and defensive staff would greatly improve the product on the field. An injection of speed, explosivness and athleticism in the back 7 could transform this into a very good to elite defense. Some of the pieces are already with the team but are taking this year to learn, add strength and contribute on special teams and/or the scout team. While others have seen the field on defense in very limited roles. Avantae Williams, Tirek Austin Cave, Avery Huff, Jalen Harrell, Brian Balom, Chanz Williams, Elijah Roberts, Marcus Clarke, and Isaiah Dunson are part of that future to go along with the kids expected to be in the 2021 class. Chase Smith, Karmen Kinchens, James Williams, Tim Burns, Deshawn Troutman, Leonard Taylor, Tyler Johnson and Thomas Davis among other commits and targets will certainly bring a huge dose of the attributes I mentioned above.

However it is absolutely imperative for the defense to have a DC who understands how to best utilize all of that talent and how to put them in a system that is properly tailored to their abilities. Blake Baker has proven that he is not that DC. @Liberty City El in his NCST game recap post brilliantly articulated why Baker is not the DC that we need. Baker is learning on the job but the DC position on the UM coaching staff is most definitely not the place for on the job training. Manny made a huge mistake hiring Baker in the first place and I do believe that this is becoming more and more clear to Diaz with every game we play. Baker is constantly being out coached by even the most pedestrian of offensive coordinators. His defenses always seem I'll prepared to face whatever opponent they play. His game plans are not game plans as he basically throws the same super soft zone at every offense he faces no matter how bad they are. He has demonstrated time and again that he has little idea of how to best utilize the talent as his disposal. Baker does not seem to adjust to the glaring weaknesses his defense exhibits every single week. His defenses are unprepared, undisciplined and sloppy as well as showing absolutely zero attention to detail. He has shown a disturbing inability to take away the opposing offenses strength and his players often seem disorganized and confused. Add to that our defense is routinely beat before the snap due to inexplicably poor alignments making it easy for offenses to simply out leverage us. He is a terrible defensive coordinator at least at this level.

For those who refuse to blame Baker for this defenses long stretches of ineptitude and say that this is Manny's defense you are right, technically speaking. While the defense as a whole in terms of general philosophy and all of the individual plays and concepts contained therein does come from coach Diaz, the manner in which it is being run comes from Baker. Realize that different coaches can take the same system and apply it in very different ways and in different contexts/situations. It is obvious to most that Baker emphasizes the passive zone concepts to a much larger degree than Diaz ever did here. His defense is much more passive and conservative as it is quite clear that Baker's calls are greatly motivated and influenced by fear. Baker is terrified of allowing the "Big Play.". Baker's philosophy is such that he will call a defense on 3rd and 11 that literally allows the opposing offense to easily get the first down in exchange for the comfort it gives him that at least they won't hit a big scoring play and that the offense will have to keep executing their plays. Basically Baker doesn't feel comfortable pressing his talent advantage and calling his defense in a way that aggressively tries to force mistakes even against weak offenses. Baker would rather just sit back and wait for the offense to make a mistake. When I mention being aggressive and trying to force mistakes I am referring to the secondary. Baker will play recklessly upfront while simultaneously playing very soft nearly prevent zone behind it. The problem with this is that Baker ends up giving too much respect to offenses that are poor, have little firepower or the ability to hurt us downfield. In doing so he allows offenses to stay on the field for much longer than they would have if we were to have our defense aggressively challenge them. This in turn both keeps our offense off the field and our defense on it thereby wearing the defense down unnecessarily.

Diaz made mistakes with both of his coordinator hires when he became head coach. He very astutely rectified the situation at OC by firing Dan Enos after 1 year and sending 2 of his position coaches packing with him. Hiring Lashlee along with Justice and Likens was a homerun. It should be obvious to Diaz by know that Blake Baker is just not cut out to be the defensive coordinator at UM. The proof of that is glaringly self evident. Diaz needs to step up and make the tough yet necessary decision to Fire his friend Blake Baker as well as a few defensive position coaches. If Diaz can do that then proceed to fill the DC and position coach spots on the staff with coaches at the level of what he brought in with Lashlee, Justice and Likens then Manny could be well on his way to building something truly special.

I would trust Coach Reed with the defensive playcalling, I think Manny needs to grow a pair and make the move. Imagine who would join his defensive staff as position coaches, it would be the situation we have been dreaming about for the past 20 years.

Advertisement
It's kind of funny that the shortest corner will probably end up being the best in coverage. The dip**** coaches always pass on smaller corners to get lanky, uncoordinated players who can't cover ****.

The whole idea that a player must have certain physical traits before recruiting him is the height of close minded approach. Players come in all shapes and sizes.

Go Canes!

No offense, but your inside information is worth about as much as dental floss at a willie Nelson concert.
Hillbilly GIF by memecandy

Advertisement
See my other post. Right or wrong has nothing to do with it. It’s this bs insider stuff.
You have no clue. My guys are more connected to UM than you can ever imagine. If Al (that’s Alonzo Highsmith for those that don’t know him well) would have been given a little more decision making responsibilities, he would have signed the contract. It was waiting him. The AD would have been a walk off Grand Slam! Dude you are in the Pop Warner League compared to My “insiders”.

Last edited by a moderator:
You have no clue. My guys are more connected to UM than you can ever imagine. If Al (that’s Alonso Highsmith for those that don’t know him well) would have been given a little more decision making responsibilities, he would have signed the contract. It was waiting him. The AD would have been a walk off Grand Slam! Dude you are in the Pop Warner League compared to My “insiders”.
no lies said

You have no clue. My guys are more connected to UM than you can ever imagine. If Al (that’s Alonso Highsmith for those that don’t know him well) would have been given a little more decision making responsibilities, he would have signed the contract. It was waiting him. The AD would have been a walk off Grand Slam! Dude you are in the Pop Warner League compared to My “insiders”.
His name is Alonzo.

Alonso is a Spanish surname.

Give it a ******* rest.

Advertisement
Ed Reed isn’t even in the building during the week. It’s a publicity stunt.
Kind of the way I see it. He was brought in more as a mentor for the kids. He's 42 years old so I dont see him running around yelling at the players "Joaquin said dominate and we're not dominating."

Advertisement
Another delusional rumph hater, our corners are not the problem and have not been, you might want to start with whoever's coaching the linebackers name in your mouth as and the d-co way before you get to coach rumph, NC St. Only had 248 yes passing, alot of that just like the Clemson game was not on the corners. If you are going to to go the recruiting route to complain about coach rumph, that will definitely fall on deaf ears with 2 star ed reed. Those few couple of plays that our corners gave up, we're not the problem. Y'all ****'s are still salty because som other db's chose to go-to the security & exchange commission a.k.a. the sec, SO WHAT, we been good over here.

Stop bringing up false charges on coach rumph!
agree more worried about the linebackers, than the DB's : Clemson average pass was 7 yards, bubbles, screens, its like they just picked on our linebackers, and what most worrisome our LB's have been mostly coach up the our D. C.'s :

Why can’t it be both Patke and Rumph that need to step it up? Our LBs miss tackles, overpursue, and are terrible in coverage. Our CBs play way too far off the line (which may be Baker), but never turn their heads to break up a pass. Both coaches need to go.
Actually Patke is coaching the strikers : no expert but Frierson and Smith seemed to be doing well, and Romeo was one of our better defensive players last couple of years:

Actually Patke is coaching the strikers : no expert but Frierson and Smith seemed to be doing well, and Romeo was one of our better defensive players last couple of years:
Agree on the strikers, but does their play excuse our LB play and continual mistakes on special teams? To me, the answer is no.

The whole idea that a player must have certain physical traits before recruiting him is the height of close minded approach. Players come in all shapes and sizes.

Go Canes!
agree : was Santana Moss the type of receiver you recruit if you went of the measurables : players are players they come in different forms

Advertisement
Back