Official Ed Reed WAS new Head Coach at Bethune-Cookman (Now Not šŸ« )

Advertisement
Alonzo liked a comment from someone criticizing Ed. Oof. Maybe there was some tension behind the scenes.

Advertisement
Not gonna defend Ed for putting this stuff on blast publicly especially via social media but the people that reached out to him to offer that job probably deserve it.

If you're an AD and/or high level university administrator and you can't even be bothered to make sure the school's custodial staff cleans a high profile hire's office prior to their arrival then you probably don't belong in that position.

As far as facilities being trash overall or in poor current condition, that's something that Ed probably should've been cognizant of before taking the job but it also would absolutely be on the AD and school administrators to discuss that with him too. You know you're hiring a "celebrity" that has been used to a certain level of facilities (even at UM) and you should've made certain to kill any potential surprise about yours in advance.

Some are private most are public it really just depends. In the HBCU world tho the private entities usually have a bunch of money due to academics and other things and sports has never been to focus. It easier to embezzle money from a HBCU for a lot of different reasons but they are federally, state and locally backed. But thatā€™s about all. Theyā€™re the lowest on the totem poll when it comes to that so money is easy to move around without much being said. They let the powers that be at said HBCU run the show for the most part. Iā€™ve seen that happen at Texas southern for example which is literally across the street from the university of Houston where I attended. So I have a bunch of friends who kept me hip with stuff like that in academics, athletics etc.

Thereā€™s a lot of truth here. I weighed in on this topic in one of the Deion threads.

In short, these schools tend to be littered with hucksters in blackface.

Itā€™s not exactly a secret. I just cringe slightly when this subject is highlighted. Itā€™s red meat to a certain segment of the population.

Some are private most are public it really just depends. In the HBCU world tho the private entities usually have a bunch of money due to academics and other things and sports has never been to focus. It easier to embezzle money from a HBCU for a lot of different reasons but they are federally, state and locally backed. But thatā€™s about all. Theyā€™re the lowest on the totem poll when it comes to that so money is easy to move around without much being said. They let the powers that be at said HBCU run the show for the most part. Iā€™ve seen that happen at Texas southern for example which is literally across the street from the university of Houston where I attended. So I have a bunch of friends who kept me hip with stuff like that in academics, athletics etc.

There are currently 54 private HBCUs and 51 public HBCUs.

However, of the 39 former HBCUs that have closed down, most (26) were private. In fact, of the 13 public HBCUs that have ever been shut down, 12 of them were Florida JuCos that were created in response to Brown v. Board of Education (to "prove" that Florida could offer separate-but-equal institutions), and then shut down shortly after the passage of the Civil Rights Act. So, these 12 schools existed for less than 10 years each. The only other state HBCU to shut down was a school in West Virginia that merged with another state school.

Advertisement
He's my favorite player ever but something about his coaching aspirations seems off. Seems like he only wanted a HC gig despite not having the experience and now that he has one, he pops off on that video. I hate to compare them but Deion seemed to hit the ground running at JSU despite not having much to work with. Maybe he's just a very emotional guy.

I see 2 thing here.

1. Money is an issue. This will be a challenge.
2. Communication might be an issue. Perhaps Ed Reed expected everyone to have as much concern as he does and put in the commensurate amount of effort. If the administration just figured they hired him, it's all his responsibility, then I understand his frustration.

Advertisement
I see 2 thing here.

1. Money is an issue. This will be a challenge.
2. Communication might be an issue. Perhaps Ed Reed expected everyone to have as much concern as he does and put in the commensurate amount of effort. If the administration just figured they hired him, it's all his responsibility, then I understand his frustration.
I think you hit the nail on the head here. They want him to use his name to bring in money, and probably told him theyā€™d give him ā€œfull controlā€ and he didnā€™t realize that meant he had to do, literally everything.

Advertisement
Gattis is done...going to Penn St.
1673887752255.jpeg

Advertisement
Back