Official Ed Reed WAS new Head Coach at Bethune-Cookman (Now Not đź« )

Advertisement
Ed is in like day 1 so he shouldn’t be making any videos I’ll start there. But from the head coach perspective they’ll tell you anything to get you under contract and then you come and see how corrupt they are. There is no money invested in football whatsoever and the money the program eventually makes disappears with no trace. I don’t wanna say it’s all HBCU’s cuz that’s not fair but it’s pretty common with a nice amount of them.
Wasn’t the president on the news a while back for stealing money that was suppose to go to new dorms? I recall it on the news. A few millions disappear led without a trace

Advertisement
He isn’t even under contract yet?
This is actually very common when Colleges hire Head Coaches. When they are hired, they usually sign a letter of understanding or something similiar where the terms are outlined but not finalized. To actually get a formal contract completed takes time, once the lawyers get involved. No College or Head Coach wants to wait for a formalized contract to be done in the middle of December, they want to hit the ground running so it gets pushed off to after the signing periods are over.

In this case, BC gets no leeway when they can't even pick up trash on the fields.

This is actually very common when Colleges hire Head Coaches. When they are hired, they usually sign a letter of understanding or something similiar where the terms are outlined but not finalized. To actually get a formal contract completed takes time, once the lawyers get involved. No College or Head Coach wants to wait for a formalized contract to be done in the middle of December, they want to hit the ground running so it gets pushed off to after the signing periods are over.

In this case, BC gets no leeway when they can't even pick up trash on the fields.
They agreed to terms and he accepted a day or so after Christmas. ESD was already over. And now it’s been over 3 weeks since they supposedly agreed. Something isn’t normal with this one.

Wow!! Ok!

So what makes their set up different from non HBCU Universities in terms of how they report their finances?

Private vs State, etc, I know like, for example, private institutions don’t have to reveal salaries, etc as an example, if I make sense.
Some are private most are public it really just depends. In the HBCU world tho the private entities usually have a bunch of money due to academics and other things and sports has never been to focus. It easier to embezzle money from a HBCU for a lot of different reasons but they are federally, state and locally backed. But that’s about all. They’re the lowest on the totem poll when it comes to that so money is easy to move around without much being said. They let the powers that be at said HBCU run the show for the most part. I’ve seen that happen at Texas southern for example which is literally across the street from the university of Houston where I attended. So I have a bunch of friends who kept me hip with stuff like that in academics, athletics etc.

Advertisement
Ed is not happy atm

Ed Reed GIF by Miami Hurricanes

I'm not entirely sure but this comment seems to add some background. It seems Ed may be responding to people at BCC acting indignant

View attachment 224916

He seems to be saying that when he got there, his office was trash and his facilities were trash. Not sure what happened on his interview, if they didn't do a full tour or whatnot, but I would imagine that if he is posting that, it could be related to something like "he went to the alums to get more donations and they told him something along the lines of 'this isn't Miami and we aren't John Ruiz' etc.".

Here's the thing. I know that the football stadium is miles to the west of the campus, and is off of LPGA Boulevard, across the street from Father Lopez High School...which also uses the stadium. So he is legitimately sharing his home field with a private Catholic high school. For starters.

Not sure if that video was taken at the stadium or at on-campus facilities at Bethune-Cookman. The campus is not large, I've driven past some fields along MLK Boulevard north of International Speedway Boulevard, and I'm not sure if those are intramural fields or the football practice fields (no insult intended, I have no idea what's what).

I do know that baseball plays at a municipal stadium a couple of miles east of the campus, I've actually gone to see minor league games there, and the tennis team plays at the same city complex.

This sounds like Ed is having some issues with the gap between promises and reality. I think he was also talking about "mud", right? I know there has been a lot of flooding at Daytona during the last few months of hurricane season, so maybe his fields aren't even draining properly.

Good luck, Ed, Bethune-Cookman has definitely had issues over the last couple of decades. I think Mainland High even has better facilities (thanks to a big donation from Vince Carter).

Wow!! Ok!

So what makes their set up different from non HBCU Universities in terms of how they report their finances?

Private vs State, etc, I know like, for example, private institutions don’t have to reveal salaries, etc as an example, if I make sense.

With the exception of FAMU, I think all of the other HBCUs in Florida are private. And I'd say that your oldest/most prestigious HBCUs tend to be private institutions. Even the state-supported HBCUs in the south were subject to significant racism and mistreatment, like how FAMU was stripped of its law school (and only recently reestablished it about 20 years ago).

Bethune-Cookman has suffered from some of the same issues with funding, and then some President or other administrator comes in with big promises, and sometimes those promises turn out poorly. And not to make this political, but if you recall about 6 years ago, there was some initial "Trump is gonna help HBCUs" PR stuff that happened, and it made the news because it looked like Trump was promising to do more than what Obama had done, but most of that didn't amount to anything truly permanent.

Finally, I'd say that if you think that HBCUs have struggled to get funding for academics, it's even worse on the athletics side. The biggest issue is just that there isn't P5, or even G5, levels of revenue. No big TV contract. No big ticket sales. Even the Florida Classic (frequently held at Hard Rock) is a big moneymaker, because it is held in a big stadium in a large urban area with a huge population base that dwarfs Tallahassee or Daytona Beach.

Growing up in Orlando, I've followed Bethune-Cookman for over 40 years, even before UCF had a real football program, and I used to work a couple miles west of the campus. The school definitely has some challenges, the Athletic Department in particular.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Ed isn't fit for a HC Job at any college. Hopefully he realizes this sooner rather than later.
When players stop playing and become coaches down the line, they get hit with reality and find out its not as easy as it looks and its not the same as playing. I played and now coach. Ed has gotta re-evaluate things for his own self-care. ****, we shouldve made him Safety's coach and fired Addaes sorry ***. Lol

With the exception of FAMU, I think all of the other HBCUs in Florida are private. And I'd say that your oldest/most prestigious HBCUs tend to be private institutions. Even the state-supported HBCUs in the south were subject to significant racism and mistreatment, like how FAMU was stripped of its law school (and only recently reestablished it about 20 years ago).

Bethune-Cookman has suffered from some of the same issues with funding, and then some President or other administrator comes in with big promises, and sometimes those promises turn out poorly. And not to make this political, but if you recall about 6 years ago, there was some initial "Trump is gonna help HBCUs" PR stuff that happened, and it made the news because it looked like Trump was promising to do more than what Obama had done, but most of that didn't amount to anything truly permanent.

Finally, I'd say that if you think that HBCUs have struggled to get funding for academics, it's even worse on the athletics side. The biggest issue is just that there isn't P5, or even G5, levels of revenue. No big TV contract. No big ticket sales. Even the Florida Classic (frequently held at Hard Rock) is a big moneymaker, because it is held in a big stadium in a large urban area with a huge population base that dwarfs Tallahassee or Daytona Beach.

Growing up in Orlando, I've followed Bethune-Cookman for over 40 years, even before UCF had a real football program, and I used to work a couple miles west of the campus. The school definitely has some challenges, the Athletic Department in particular.

Just a small correction; Hard Rock has never hosted the Florida Classic. It did recently renew its hosting of the "Orange Blossom Classic" when FAMU joined the SWAC.

Just a small correction; Hard Rock has never hosted the Florida Classic. It did recently renew its hosting of the "Orange Blossom Classic" when FAMU joined the SWAC.

Yes, my apologies for the mistake. I know the Florida Classic was played in Orlando/Tampa for a long time, I mistakenly thought it got moved to Miami. But you are absolutely right, the Hard Rock game is a revival of the Orange Blossom Classic that used to be played in the Orange Bowl.

I know there are some other neutral site "Classic" games that have been played over the years in big cities like Atlanta and New Orleans.

Advertisement
Back