Early thoughts on Gattis?

Where do you stand?

• I'm satisfied with his scheme and play-calling and approve of his job performance.

• Sample size is too small, I'll reserve judgement until we play some quality opponents.

• I wish we had hired someone else.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Advertisement
Don't know if it's a WR speed thing or coordinator thing, but the passing game has to open up with more mid to deep routes and more confusing route combinations. TVD locking on to receivers and missing on too many easy passes. Summary: The OL, QB and WR need to get better and fast.

TVD was very mediocre and he still completed 11 straight at one point. I am actually more concerned about our running game next week. I wish we had Chaney or Citizen available.

Advertisement
I don't mind the offense right now, but I wish we did play action backwards...use the pass to set up the run. Also, I wish we didn't "run, run, run" during closeout time. The defense knows we are just running out the clock and it's open season on our rbs. We don't have a whole lot of them to just play Oklahoma drills with for 8 minutes.

Hiding the playbook. Lol

You sure as **** don't hide the play book trailing Southern Miss until 20 seconds to go in the first half.

I absolutely deplore this offense to this point. There's this attitude that we're going to establish the run and dare someone to stop it. It's an ancient way of playing this game and it's gotta frustrate the **** out of our QB's, TE's, and WR's.

That's well and good with the two teams we've faced to this point. It was however embarrassing as **** to be down 29 minutes and 40 seconds to the mighty Southern Miss Golden Eagles.

The WR's to their credit for sure, have caught everything that's been thrown their way accurately. We're not used to that. I hope we start dictating pace and will all over the field rather than the slow plodding pace we've been going at. The crap we saw yesterday won't work against most teams on our schedule.

Advertisement
When TVD dropped back for vertical passes, did you notice how the announcers always said “great coverage downfield”? That’s code for “WR’s can’t get open”
WRs got open all day long. So Miss played with 2 high safeties quite a bit so going downfield wasn't going to happen, but our guys got open on short and intermediate routes all game. Tvd didn't see them.

I made a joke yesterday about idk if I could watch this offense run it 700 times a game. The only complaints I had yesterday was TVD made some terrible throws and the OL wasn’t very good in pass protection.

Hopefully TVD got the ugly out yesterday and is full steam ahead going forward. The numbers weren’t even bad but there were some bad throws. I’ve been used to the all or nothing drives for years so seeing long drives is different for a lot of people but if they result in points then who I am to complain

Still early obviously, but I'm curious how everyone feels about the changes we've seen in our offense thus far.
I would say look at what is going on with Virginia. Armstrong's struggle against Illinois yesterday was shocking. I don't know if Tony Elliot sucks or the transition is that difficult over there, but it speaks well of TVD and Gattis that our offense hasn't completely nosedived to start the year as we implement our new scheme.

Advertisement
The play calling sucks. The receivers haven’t been developed whatsoever and TVD’s 300 yard streak was instantly ended

What is happening to this offense is EXACTLY what every Twitter troll said would happen when Mario was hired

We call ourselves TEU and our elite redshirt freshman is being used as a fullback.

for those wondering if we open it up… we’ve heard that with Richt, Enos and Lashlee (Run game) already. We have Michigan tape, spring game and two regular season games that do not feature an aggressive passing attack. The smart money is on this being what we see vs TAMU and the ACC

The problem with the scheme is you need a cerebral QB, a high caliber OL and WRs who get separation to run it. It's essentially a NFL offense, it can look really good if you execute but if your guys are getting no push up front and the WRs are getting clamped it can make things extremely difficult for the QB. I prefer a Uptempo spread offense when your either in 10 or 11 personnel most of the game, it makes things easier on everyone. Our new offense has a higher ceiling but it's going to take some time to get the guys we need to run it.
The whole point of Cristobal is that he recruits those guys.

Advertisement
There are 2 rationals for this.

Either people are worried about TVD heisman/draft status and don’t like his new stats.

Or they are scared of A &M.

This crap dies down if we beat A and M with this offense.

I like that we can actually run the ball. But the pace of play absolutely needs to pick up. I could fall asleep watching the game yesterday

Advertisement
Back