Dwayne Haskins Killed in South Florida

Advertisement
Yep. I got into a minor car accident last week. SoFla drivers are the worst. This is sad to see the youngster didn't make it, I walked away with just some confused ribs on my left side.
Agreed, although Houston drivers are really terrible too. I live in Austin and you see the difference once you get into Houston.

My family went to S Florida last summer to visit my dad, and I took my son to visit UM. When we were driving into Dade itself on I-95 I was a little taken aback by the very aggressive, high speed maneuvering that was prevalent.

Yup. Mitch Trubisky actually trains in Deerfield at the facility that gave my brother his start in sports training. He was their baseball director before he was hired by the Marlins.
Just saw it confirmed by Pittsburgh media as I was reading your reply. Apparently a bunch of Steelers skill position players were down for this as I just saw video of Haskins and Najee Harris together here yesterday. Must've been quite the morning for all of them as Haskins was supposedly a very likable dude.

I agree with your overall notion but that specific area of 95/595 is notorious and has been labeled "the deadliest mile in America".

It's wayyyyy OT but dump trucks in South Florida are one of my biggest pet peeves. They often drive like complete maniacs when they're not spraying every car behind them with their load (excuse the wording) that is seemingly only covered by a torn tarp bought at Home Depot in 1988.

I mean the stats are the stats, these are generally very well-kept and well documented statistics.

But of course, there are areas that are particularly dangerous in metropolitan areas. In our area, I agree that 95/595 is really bad, as well as certain portions of the 836, and of course all of 95 up and down the state, north and south, you better be alert and focused.

I try to avoid all these areas, when possible. I generally try to take the turnpike whenever possible. Obviously, there are times when you have to take them and there’s nothing else you can do.

Talking about things that are annoying as ****, a few years ago I was driving behind a dump truck on the Sawgrass going south, and his load was full of broken up rocks and concrete, which were flying off in big pieces.

I had to swerve to miss one particularly large piece that was about the size of a half a motorcycle.

I usually keep my cool when driving, but I swear to God I wanted to pull that driver out and beat him senseless.

Getting out of your car on a busy interstate is one of the most dangerous situations you can put yourself in, obviously sometimes you don’t have a choice, but if you think about it it’s kind of a terrifying situation. Cars are flying by you at 80 miles an hour and sometimes you don’t have much room to maneuver. If it all possible it’s better to just either stay in your car or get out and go to that part of the road that’s furthest away from traffic.

But what a horrible tragedy for a young man with his whole life in front of him.

Horrific.

Advertisement
I used to live in soFla and it was bad back then, but I think it has gotten worse...for example, on numerous occasions I've seen lots of drivers passing folks from far-right lane going over 90 mph...getting the horn and finger gesturing treatment because I was only driving 10-15 mph over speed limit exiting turnpike ramp with good downhill curve..people down there are animals and I live in DC and Baltimore Beltway country....also, noticed considerable stretches of road being worked on with no shoulders...crazy town with 3rd world drivers.
In the US, Dade county drivers are the worst that I have seen. As mentioned in a previous post, Houston drivers are a close second. Was at a basketball tournament again in Houston last month and just counted one after another the incidents of reckless and ridiculous “driving” that I was seeing. As soon as you get out of the city, things calm down.

Agreed, although Houston drivers are really terrible too. I live in Austin and you see the difference once you get into Houston.

My family went to S Florida last summer to visit my dad, and I took my son to visit UM. When we were driving into Dade itself on I-95 I was a little taken aback by the very aggressive, high speed maneuvering that was prevalent.
When we were there last summer I started to wonder if one contributor to driver recklessness is the low speed limits. It’s seems counterintuitive - and it’s not necessarily applicable on an interstate - but in other areas of S Florida the speed limit is 35. We were only a few miles away from Zucharelli’s restaurant (my Dad is friends with the owner) and it took 40 minutes to get there. Out here in Austin almost all of the roads are at least 45, and many roads are 65. It literally is quicker to get around here. The slow nature of S Florida traffic might be driving some of the aggression and recklessness (as well as overall population density).

Florida is top 10 in both of those categories, as well as fatal crashes by registered vehicles. It's a top 10 most dangerous state for drivers any way you slice it.

That’s one look at the stats, and in all those categories it looked like Florida was around 9th. I guess I should just change my post to not in the top eight. That might make you a little happier.

But keep in mind there are other sources for statistics, including the the sources I referenced, that place it outside the top 10 in those categories I mentioned.

There’s no doubt Florida has a high accident/fatality numbers and rate. But considering it’s third in population in the US, with heavily congested metropolitan areas, some really ****** roads especially in those metropolitan areas, you have to take that into account.

Anyway I don’t want to get into a ****ing contest about this. Thanks for playing.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Can’t blame crazy drivers for hitting somebody Running across a highway… but I imagine his car broke down on the fast lane which is a scary predicament to be in if true. He might have had no other choice but to try to run across the highway.

Pittsburgh Steelers GIF

Advertisement
There’s no doubt Florida has a high accident/fatality numbers and rate. But considering it’s third in population in the US, with heavily congested metropolitan areas, some really ****** roads especially in those metropolitan areas, you have to take that into account.

Anyway I don’t want to get into a ****ing contest about this. Thanks for playing.

I agree with you that it is not that simple when trying to determine which state is the most dangerous for drivers. It ultimately requires a multi-variate analysis, and based on my brief research I haven't been able to find one.

1649526054640.png

Orlando has led the State in vehicular Accidents and Deaths since forever....The entire State is a Death trap....
I always say in fl you have to drive for the other driver as well as yourself. Don’t expect common sense. Them being in the turning lane could very well mean they will be going straight. You pull to a 4 way stop expect the person you beat to the stop sign to cut in front of you.

First, and most importantly, this is a tragedy of epic proportions for that family. As someone who’s had family member die in a traffic accident, as I’m sure some of you have as well, it’s just a heartbreaking event. Especially when it’s a young person, but honestly really for anybody no matter what their age.

I hope the family can heal, and may this young man Rest In Peace.

In number of automobile fatalities, Florida ranks third behind Texas and California, which is to be expected because of population size.

But looking at other more meaningful measures, Florida is nowhere near the top 10 in terms of fatalities per hundred thousand, or per miles driven. Same thing with accidents.

Sometimes facts and statistics can belie our preconceived notions.
NY has a lot of non-drivers. Probably because public transport is good and people don't need drive with regularity.

Advertisement
Back