Duke about to hire Manny - update: hired

Advertisement
The thing that I always attributed to Manny was his ability to examine things analytically and come to at least a quasi rational decision. The problem with that when he was here was the timing. Whereas top flight coaches are willing to make deft moves and decisions "in flight" Manny always required kicking the can down the road.

I wouldn't be surprised if he did OK there, IF he's able to move more nimbly in his decision-making AND learn from his past HC mistakes.

Good luck to him. Taking on the Miami job, not unlike Icharus, meant he flew too close to the sun too early. Unlike all of the past former coaches since Butch, he might be able to recover his career. Golden keeps trying, but everyone remembers his unwillingness to fire Donuts, but that's another story for another day....

Advertisement
I know I’m gonna get roasted but I liked manny as a coach ( just not here ) , I still think he can end up being a good HC
The one thing I did like was he wasn't stubborn like Mario. Manny realized the Bro Style wasn't going to work after Dan Enos and immediately switched to the up tempo spread and went out and got Lashlee. I wonder who he would of hired to replace Lashlee

Advertisement
This is why he really needed the Temple experience instead of a P5 job.
On one of the interwebz story about Duke's interest, he was described as an ex Temple coach, which I guess he technically was.

counter counter counter counter counter counter counter
with our new and improved o line

ooooo weeeeeee that's gunna hurt

Advertisement
Manny's a smart guy but often too smart for his own good. One big issue he had here was him walking into every room and thinking he was the smartest guy. He developed some blinders and couldn't see the issues that eventually sunk him.

I think he'd do ok at Duke. The biggest issue, though, is that Manny really is a subpar recruiter. He excels when he has elite talent, but when he has to bring in is own guys that's when things start to fall apart. Luckily, expectations at Duke are decently low. He either does well there and bolts for a bigger P5 job, or here languishes for 4-5 years with 6-6/7-5 type seasons and ends up getting fired.

Advertisement
so, we are running the ball a lot when we play Duke next.
Sacha Baron Cohen Yes GIF by Amazon Prime Video

Advertisement
Back