Duke about to hire Manny - update: hired

Advertisement
100% correct..... Diaz Didn't decimate the roster and start over.... He rode what Richt left him (Yes he was DC and helped to a small degree) and then it fell apart... With Elko leaving Duke they've already seen quite a few players leave with more on the way... I would assume none have any familiarity with Diaz so the incentive to stay is minimal ( Unless they just really like Duke which is fine).
I don't see Manny being able to fill the holes with recruiting nor do I believe Duke will be in the upper echelon of NIL providers Football wise( Bread and butter is B-Ball).... This will be a real test for Manny to show he's learned something since leaving Miami... Believe me I don't wish him any ill will but I just don't see him doing much there...
Agree. i just don't see it happening at Duke. Manny just doesn't have the recruiting chops. He's proven to be a good DC when he's given good players to work with but when it comes to getting his own guys, he generally flops.

There's a very good AD at Duke. I'd bet Manny has learned quite a few lessons in the past two years. It's a good place to get back into being a HC. He needs to surround himself with a strong staff that can recruit. Elko started establishing a good culture; he'll have to make sure to continue it.

No matter what, that first handshake out on the field at Hard Rock will be interesting.....

CIS ain't a place for nuance so there's not going to be much appreciation about former corches being as complex people as any of us. I know of more than a few stories of Golden doing things for some people quietly and not seeking any public attention or praise about it. That said, he obviously handled some other stuff poorly too. Same with Manny. In the end, they were all compensated pretty well for essentially failing here so while I don't hate them, I'm beyond agnostic about actively caring if they succeed or fail elsewhere.

The only recent post championship former coach that I'm emotionally attached to at all and actively root for in life in general is Richt.
Good post and the other Coach is Butch........one move and all he built was swept away after the move to the Browns.......a shame because he in my op would have been our Saban........think about that....the dynasty could have been kept going........now Mario has to dig deep to rebuild, but Butch never recovered from his Canes, and still regrets leaving.........he said " the best job, and the most satisfying experience was at Miami".....very sad.

Advertisement
There's a very good AD at Duke. I'd bet Manny has learned quite a few lessons in the past two years. It's a good place to get back into being a HC. He needs to surround himself with a strong staff that can recruit. Elko started establishing a good culture; he'll have to make sure to continue it.

No matter what, that first handshake out on the field at Hard Rock will be interesting.....
I was about to post the same - that handshake at midfield lol

Elko was wayyyyy different to Manny.........night and day.......Diaz has to cut his own path in the Duke football world...2-3 years will not make the drastic changes needed to match Elko in team atmosphere, Coaching, and culture......they played for Elko.....it was not a Club.

Advertisement
manny.png

Diaz evokes no emotions from me one way or another. He was hired as the HC at Miami by default by a bozo that didn’t do a proper search. Diaz did his best with his limited abilities and ultimately failed because of them. Happens frequently in the CFB HC fraternity.

Will/can he be successful at Dook? Don’t know and quite frankly, don’t care. It’s Dook where BB is king so he’s got his work cut out for him even moreso than his failed attempt at Miami. Just kick his *** anytime we play them.

Agree. i just don't see it happening at Duke. Manny just doesn't have the recruiting chops. He's proven to be a good DC when he's given good players to work with but when it comes to getting his own guys, he generally flops.
LB's was supposed to be his specialty and in 6 years a t Miami he delivered nothing .... Shaq and Pick were Committed to Golden and Richt was able to hang on to them during the transition.... Manny brought in no one.... It's gonna be tough for him there..... And then there's the bigger question - Who runs the Defense?? Will Manny repeat what he did here and just handcuff anyone brought in??? Will he do it himself?? Will he allow someone else to actually be a D-Co ???
Ok that was more than one question...LOL!!!

TrumpyCane wants to know if Al Golden is also one of us?

If Manny Diaz is "one of us" then Golden is definitely one too.

Cause I ain't tryna hear/read this Mr.305 BS.
Dude born N raised 305 but decided to do this:

Screenshot_20231208_100146_Chrome.jpg

How is this dude a de facto Cane? How is he " Always a Cane?" Yall gotta stop this. He's a former coach who couldn't get it done. That's it. That's all.

When a recruit from the 305, whole family love the U, grew up going to games but chooses to go to UF, we dont run around saying " Hes a Cane for life". So nah. Manny is a Nole for life. His coaching at Miami was just another job.

Stop creating narratives to support the Cuck within you.

Season 4 Office Tv GIF by The Office

Last edited:
Advertisement
If Manny Diaz is "one of us" then Golden is definitely one too.

Cause I ain't tryna hear/read this Mr.305 BS.
Dude born N raised 305 but decided to do this:

View attachment 270294

How is this dude a de facto Cane? How is he " Always a Cane?" Yall gotta stop this.

Season 4 Office Tv GIF by The Office

Did he ever go back as FSU Coach in any capacity?

Look what Randy Shannon did after getting fired

Advertisement
counter counter counter counter counter counter counter
with our new and improved o line

ooooo weeeeeee that's gun

Don't get the Manny hate. You could tell he really cared about this program and tried his best to make it work. It's not like he went out on bad terms like Golden and sued the school afterwards. He wasn't stubborn (like the head coaches we had before him) and tried adjusting when things weren't working. He just wasn't ready. Not saying I'm rooting for him to win the ACC but Manny is okay i

Whatever UNC ran.
Mack Brown happiest coach today in football.

Advertisement
Back