DT Willis back enrolled in classes at UM

View as article
SPEAK TO US PETE.....I KNOW YOU SEE MY POST WITH THE ROSTER (Im James Jackson's brother approves my post)

Advertisement
Willis supposedly practiced today.

giphy.jpg

Advertisement
Gerald Willis is 22 right now, if he chooses to come back he'll be 24 should he make it to an NFL roster. Those years count to NFL front offices. If he's not trying to get his degree immediately, then he should work as hard as he can in the classroom, forego college football and try to turn pro. He can always come back to finish his degree, if he wants it.

Unless your draft stock can be dramatically improved (Delaney, D.), coming back to play for free is dumb.
He turned 22 five days ago. He'd probably be in a similar position to Ryan Glasgow, who is turning 24 in a month. He was a 4th round pick out of Michigan. Guess it's up to Willis to think it'd be better long-term financial decision to be a likely UDFA (this year) or a 4th-5th pick next year.

Normally, under today NFL contract, I am in favor kids with NFL talent leaving early. In this instance he is traveling mostly on his HS hype and tape. For a lineman, especially DT type, that is not good enough. He was a chance to come back a play for coach with history of 1st round picks at THE school with historic record for DTs in NFL before the last decade. Starting for a year in an old style Miami defense at DT with Kool at coach could make Willis live up to that old hype and maybe, just maybe, hit 1st or 2nd round, especially is this year's junior studs go early and end up high in draft. UDFA for DT? Hey is you have speed in skill position, yeah it can work, but DT requires rare physical and technique levels that he has just not shown much of so far. That said, it is his life. I'll root for him either way; he dumped the gator and came to us so he deserves that much.

Advertisement
Here's the link to the article which was mostly about University President Frenk speaking to the team:

UM prez Julio Frenk addresses team ? and Gerald Willis returns | Miami Herald

The excerpt on Willis: "Also there practicing, defensive tackle Gerald Willis, who has been on a leave of absence for an undisclosed reason. I was told he still will not play this season, but obviously we will ask coach Mark Richt about that later."

So far Susan is the only one who has claimed that Willis practiced today. Expect a redaction from her soon.

Advertisement
I wish we would stop being so harsh on Susan MD and Matty Porter. Unlike other beat writers (e.g., Navarro and Richardson), these two have consistently tried to represent the team in a positive way. She clearly goes for the human backdrop stories, while most of us want to hear about TDs, sacks and pancakes. But in the many years I've been reading her pieces, she's always been respectful and appreciative of the coaches, team and fans.

I wish we would stop being so harsh on Susan MD and Matty Porter. Unlike other beat writers (e.g., Navarro and Richardson), these two have consistently tried to represent the team in a positive way. She clearly goes for the human backdrop stories, while most of us want to hear about TDs, sacks and pancakes. But in the many years I've been reading her pieces, she's always been respectful and appreciative of the coaches, team and fans.

tenor.gif

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back