DT Tywone Malone enters Portal

There are a whole lot of people far too enamored with players who were unsuccessful or barely successful at another school.
Francisco and Cohen and Lee were all successful elsewhere and will be at UM.
The rest of these guys, the CB, the RB, Malone, have done absolutely nothing to show that they will be successful at UM, OR, better than the players we already have. Same with the guys we missed on. What exactly did Malone do on the football field to show everyone that he would be a star?
His best highlights are on the baseball field. Depth will come in the next 2 recruiting classes, and I know 2 years may as well be 20 years to some of you, I swear my puppy has more patience than Many of the posters on this board.

I would much rather recruit and spend NIL money on high school players like Francis and Pancake and the rest. And I’m confident we will spend wisely this season and boring in a very good Dline class. Sure it will mean some lumps but all these short term fixes that so many clamor for are like that linebacker last season from UCLA. Nothing to write home about.
Why were we pursuing them?

Advertisement
You are really overrating what we currently have… LT has all the talent in the world but is inconsistent, hopefully he takes the next step. After that, we lost our other starter last year in DJ and JHH is just okay at best. Deen is a dog by all accounts but we need way more. We can blame coaching all we want and it was an abomination last year but that’s not the only reason we went 5-7 with blowouts against Mid Tenn State and Duke. Miami has good talent in spots but we have too many holes where the talent is G5 level.
Trenches is where fhe big boys dominate.

You do NOT want to have to rely on the transfer portal for DTs and OTs, we must recruit the HS kids better and we will (hopefully)

You can absolutely add WR to that. And the recent discussion about how we’ll simply land a future portal QB to compensate for weak recruiting at the position (compared to other top programs) should probably be revisited.

When/if a QB like Maalik Murphy hits the portal next year, that’s going to be an off-the-charts bidding war. SEC programs were already trying to backchannel to land him after his spring game. The most coveted QB who entered the portal this spring was who? Tyler Buchner?

You never want to have to rely on the portal for players at premium positions.

Advertisement
None of those guys was highly ranked and they weren’t stars except Willis. McIntosh was a 3 star DE. Norton best position was guard and he was a 3 star. Willis was a transfer. We haven’t had many just 4 star DTs the last 20 years
The scheme had a big part in their success. Shooting gaps with no discipline isn’t the same as dominating the man in front of you.

IMG_0107.jpeg

Slurper victory lap cut short…

I might have missed a name or 2 but from what I seen we have only had 9 guys the last 20 years at DT that were at least a 4 star. That’s teriible

Advertisement
You can absolutely add WR to that. And the recent discussion about how we’ll simply land a future portal QB to compensate for weak recruiting at the position (compared to other top programs) should probably be revisited.

When/if a QB like Maalik Murphy hits the portal next year, that’s going to be an off-the-charts bidding war. SEC programs were already trying to backchannel to land him after his spring game. The most coveted QB who entered the portal this spring was who? Tyler Buchner?

You never want to have to rely on the portal for players at premium positions.
Yeah, I just think that you can find elite WRs in the portal more than DTs and OTs.

Now, Miami (Mario) has a stigma to overcome here. Hopefully, with Dawson, the narrative will change soon.

Advertisement
I might have missed a name or 2 but from what I seen we have only had 9 guys the last 20 years at DT that were at least a 4 star. That’s teriible
Taylor, Forston, Blissett, Nesta, Norton, Anthony Moten, Jalen Grimble. Not sure about the other two.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back