DT Tywone Malone enters Portal

Advertisement
That's the million dollar question, we can't even pay dudes to come play DT out the portal
We can’t close on elite/very good portal DTs for sure but there aren’t many of them and when they are in they are a hot commodity.

You do NOT want to have to rely on the transfer portal for DTs and OTs, we must recruit the HS kids better and we will (hopefully)

Well then we probably won't hear from him at all this fall on that roster
Not true.

Most of their DLine is unproven young guys.

Malone had the same production as one of their starters Ty Hamilton.

He’ll get plenty of reps, Oh ST DLine is not as stacked as it normally is, hence why they hit the Portal this year.

Not true.

Most of their DLine is unproven young guys.

Malone had the same production as one of their starters Ty Hamilton.

He’ll get plenty of reps, Oh ST DLine is not as stacked as it normally is, hence why they hit the Portal this year.
agreed. their top 4 DTs all logged 250+ snaps, they're returning 3 of their 4 top DTs. Malone steps in to be #4 now. They were also after Tank Booker from UMD who ended up at Ark i believe.

Advertisement
He could've started here? After only playing 93 snaps a season ago.

I think some of you guys are overeating this guy. He would've been a rotational piece that added size to the room.

Rose has a better chance starting here than this guy Malone.
Unless there’s a drastic change Rose isn’t happening either. Hence why I’m talking Malone . Malone was the guy and that’s why they were on him as hard as they were. Him starting here wasn't because he’s good because he’s not anything special , it’s because we have nothing but LT and Deen that’s actually proven anything. With Moten having some potential.

Btw why do you suppose Miami tried so hard to make this happen? Why do you suppose we kept adding Dt’s and still searching for more? They were both takes and that’s after taking Deen and Gore earlier in the pre spring. Do you know how crazy that is in todays football? That means your depth/ talent is atrocious.

Last edited:
Unless there’s a drastic change Rose isn’t happening either. Hence why I’m talking Malone . Malone was the guy and that’s why they were on him as hard as they were. Him starting here wadnt bwcuaee he’s good because he’s not anything special , it’s because we have nothing but LT and Deen that’s Origen anything. With Moten having potential.

Btw why do you suppose Miami tried so hard to make this happen? Why do you suppose we kept adding Dt’s and still searching for more? They were both takes and that’s after taking Deen and Gore earlier in the pre spring. Do you know how crazy that is in todays football? That means your depth/ talent is atrocious.
Thanks to this guy here.

Lets Go Thumbs Up GIF by ESPN

Advertisement
There are a whole lot of people far too enamored with players who were unsuccessful or barely successful at another school.
Francisco and Cohen and Lee were all successful elsewhere and will be at UM.
The rest of these guys, the CB, the RB, Malone, have done absolutely nothing to show that they will be successful at UM, OR, better than the players we already have. Same with the guys we missed on. What exactly did Malone do on the football field to show everyone that he would be a star?
His best highlights are on the baseball field. Depth will come in the next 2 recruiting classes, and I know 2 years may as well be 20 years to some of you, I swear my puppy has more patience than Many of the posters on this board.

I would much rather recruit and spend NIL money on high school players like Francis and Pancake and the rest. And I’m confident we will spend wisely this season and boring in a very good Dline class. Sure it will mean some lumps but all these short term fixes that so many clamor for are like that linebacker last season from UCLA. Nothing to write home about.

The problem is... Taylor and Hunte didn't play in the spring at all due to injury, Deen missed time late in the spring with an injury, Gore is borderline useless at this level, and Lichtenstein has battled injuries every year of his 6 year career including most of last year.

Moten is your only DT above 290 pounds.. even though they list Taylor at 305 despite struggling to get above 280.

The body types in that room aren't right. Rose and/or Malone didn't fix that but it could have helped. Recruiting HS is where it needs fixed and they aren't landing anything. I don't buy anything that I hear about this massive DT haul in 2024 until I see it happen. Everyone in America wants all of those guys and are going to pay more than we will. Fat Joe hasn't proved he can land anyone yet.
I think we all agree that adding one more DT makes sense. However, the staff brought Lichtenstein, Gore, Deen, Moten, and Horton here to play DT. Mesidor has taken snaps at DT. Bain saw time lined up inside in the spring. Taylor and Hunte have played a ton of ball.

Rose/Malone really wasn't going to solve the issue there. Just because we haven't been successful with landing top HS recruits and developing them, doesn't necessarily mean we can't have a good DL in 2023. There are concerns with the personnel but on paper we have 7 DTs with a combined 22 years of experience so let's not sell them short until we're getting pushed around against aTm in week 3.

Last edited:
If you’re being objective why would a starter or borderline starter from a mid level team like Ole Miss portal to another mid level team like UM has been for 20 years?

Kids like this want to go from mid level to top level so they can get more exposure, win more, have guaranteed NFL looks, etc. Coming here now is pointless for him, unless we’re going to throw stupid money at him, which is dumb in its own right. We’re going to have to do it through HS recruiting, and hope the coaches can develop at this point.

Some of you just like to complain about anything, but that’s the reality.

Unless there’s a drastic change Rose isn’t happening either. Hence why I’m talking Malone . Malone was the guy and that’s why they were on him as hard as they were. Him starting here wadnt bwcuaee he’s good because he’s not anything special , it’s because we have nothing but LT and Deen that’s actually proven anything. With Moten having some potential.

When does fat Joe get the axe?

Advertisement
Part that annoys me is that Malone at OSU is fighting at best to be their #4 DT (idk their scheme), but at Miami at worst he is 1st DT off the bench with solid possibility at starting by year end and being a multi year starter.

Unless there’s a drastic change Rose isn’t happening either. Hence why I’m talking Malone . Malone was the guy and that’s why they were on him as hard as they were. Him starting here wasn't because he’s good because he’s not anything special , it’s because we have nothing but LT and Deen that’s actually proven anything. With Moten having some potential.

So if there anyone else they are looking at or do we have what we have for next year?

Advertisement
Has Mario ever done anything wrong in your eyes?
Yes, a lot of things actually but it is not his fault that our roster has so many holes and a lack of depth. That’s YEARS of recruiting mismanagement and you can‘t fix it all in one year, especially in the trenches.

OL looks good now and that’s why I think he’ll do the same with DL.

We had RJ McIntosh, Kendrick Norton and Gerald Willis all on the same roster at one point. It hasn't been that long since we had star DTs.
None of those guys was highly ranked and they weren’t stars except Willis. McIntosh was a 3 star DE. Norton best position was guard and he was a 3 star. Willis was a transfer. We haven’t had many just 4 star DTs the last 20 years

He could've started here? After only playing 93 snaps a season ago.

I think some of you guys are overeating this guy. He would've been a rotational piece that added size to the room.

Rose has a better chance starting here than this guy Malone.
You are really overrating what we currently have… LT has all the talent in the world but is inconsistent, hopefully he takes the next step. After that, we lost our other starter last year in DJ and JHH is just okay at best. Deen is a dog by all accounts but we need way more. We can blame coaching all we want and it was an abomination last year but that’s not the only reason we went 5-7 with blowouts against Mid Tenn State and Duke. Miami has good talent in spots but we have too many holes where the talent is G5 level.

Advertisement
Back