Dredrick Snelson

Hold up...

I don't know what was said by Heritage's coaches, but college recruiters appreciate honesty. If a kid is a jerk, most high school coaches will let the college recruiters know. (and they should)

I don't wanna hear this BS about "he's just a kid". You know who else is "just a kid"? The other 5,000 kids in the country competing for scholarships.

You wouldn't have a problem with a high school coach telling a recruiter about a kid's lack of speed or inability to play man coverage, would you? Why is a kid's character off limits?

Like I said, I don't know what Heritage's staff told recruiters but I'm just setting something straight. We (coaches) have every right to tell college recruiters about a kid's character. It's part of the player that he is.
Except college coaches can assess a kids speed with a stopwatch and 10 seconds of their time. They can also watch a kid play or study his game tape to look at how he is in man coverage. What the college coaches have no ability to do however is interpret if a coaching staff has an axe to grind. That is a terrible comparison. You are not wrong in your position that you can chime in on a kids attitude, but it should be done with the utmost caution, as the kid has everything to lose while those recruiters will be right back there the next year if you were withholding moral narrative but have a fresh crop of division 1 athletes that can benefit their program.

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement
Hold up...

I don't know what was said by Heritage's coaches, but college recruiters appreciate honesty. If a kid is a jerk, most high school coaches will let the college recruiters know. (and they should)

I don't wanna hear this BS about "he's just a kid". You know who else is "just a kid"? The other 5,000 kids in the country competing for scholarships.

You wouldn't have a problem with a high school coach telling a recruiter about a kid's lack of speed or inability to play man coverage, would you? Why is a kid's character off limits?

Like I said, I don't know what Heritage's staff told recruiters but I'm just setting something straight. We (coaches) have every right to tell college recruiters about a kid's character. It's part of the player that he is.

Apparently, being 17 makes you immune from being a **** head. It really doesn't but apparently if you can catch the football you can be an *** hole and coaches can't say anything. Then we wonder why the recruiting culture is what it is now..

Hold up...

Apparently, being 17 makes you immune from being a **** head. It really doesn't but apparently if you can catch the football you can be an *** hole and coaches can't say anything. Then we wonder why the recruiting culture is what it is now..

Well said

Hold up...

Except college coaches can assess a kids speed with a stopwatch and 10 seconds of their time. They can also watch a kid play or study his game tape to look at how he is in man coverage. What the college coaches have no ability to do however is interpret if a coaching staff has an axe to grind. That is a terrible comparison. You are not wrong in your position that you can chime in on a kids attitude, but it should be done with the utmost caution, as the kid has everything to lose while those recruiters will be right back there the next year if you were withholding moral narrative but have a fresh crop of division 1 athletes that can benefit their program.

I think you took that too literal, or maybe my analogy was just bad. Either way, point is, college coaches ask us all kinds of questions that only we would know the answer to. Questions that the game tape won't tell them.

It's up to the high school coach to be man enough to be honest and not throw a kid under the bus just because he has an axe to grind. Honesty is important. If you're not honest you'll ruin your relationship with college coaches and they won't trust you.

I'm not gonna tell every college coach that some kid is a saint just cause he's got a lot to lose. That's something HE should be considering. That's something HIS PARENTS should be drilling into his head. Got a lot to lose? Don't be an *******. If you're a jerk and you gave me and my staff a hard time for 2+ years I'm **** sure not gonna lie to some recruiter from FSU just cause you're a poor lil' kid with so much to lose. There's other kids who have high character who deserve those scholarships too.

he must've saw all those white blonde chicks on campus up there. is it worth it? he's gonna freeze his testes off in the winter.

Advertisement
Hold up...

The adults who are involved are 100% responsible for this.

he must've saw all those white blonde chicks on campus up there. is it worth it? he's gonna freeze his testes off in the winter.

Lol.. His recruitment is still open. So this isn't a done deal as we may think. Miami is very strongly still in it per his Mom.

Hold up...

This right here!

Advertisement
Hold up...

This is the line I am trying to support, really. Attitude can be influenced and changed, whether the parents and coaches have accepted that challenge is what I take issue with when we are talking about these kids. Haven't heard much about the issues this board had with Stacey Coley before he became a cane, and it is a testament to the adults in his life stepping up to the challenge rather than running from it, or worse, letting him suit up and have an impact on the field then turning their back on him like the heritage staff.

The kid is obviously not without any blame, but I don't think the position of "lets get him on the field to catch bombs from Gibson all year, then he can go **** himself" is how these cases should be handled.

Hold up...

I'm sure the high school coaches aren't the only source of character evaluation that college coaches use. I'm sure they talk to the parents, teachers/administrators, other players on the team, etc. If the coaches are making up **** about a kid I'm sure that would get exposed pretty easily.

Hold up...

This is the line I am trying to support, really. Attitude can be influenced and changed, whether the parents and coaches have accepted that challenge is what I take issue with when we are talking about these kids. Haven't heard much about the issues this board had with Stacey Coley before he became a cane, and it is a testament to the adults in his life stepping up to the challenge rather than running from it, or worse, letting him suit up and have an impact on the field then turning their back on him like the heritage staff.

The kid is obviously not without any blame, but I don't think the position of "lets get him on the field to catch bombs from Gibson all year, then he can go **** himself" is how these cases should be handled.

I hear ya.

Yeah, if the staff has a legitimate problem with a kid then he shouldn't be on the field. Don't throw him under the bus to coaches after you just got done using him to your advantage for a year without holding him accountable.

Hold up...

💯

Advertisement
Kid just was bad news at ah and out grew his welcome at ah. Tried to slide to sta, I guess thought he would be able to and they told him ... No thanks.
I don't think they torpedo'd his recruitment he could easily be still committed to um.... He de committed. The problem is kid thinks he is better than what he is.

His ranking was absurd anyway.... But Minnesota or vt would be a good look for him

Advertisement

Lol.. His recruitment is still open. So this isn't a done deal as we may think. Miami is very strongly still in it per his Mom.

"As of right now, I'm not planning on taking any visits other than to Minnesota," Snelson said. "I'm really happy to be a Gopher and I want Minnesota fans to know they are getting a dynamic player who plans to plan early on in his career. Minnesota is the place where I think I'll do my best work and I can't wait to get up there."

$ Minnesota Gophers Football, Basketball, and Recruiting Front Page

"As of right now, I'm not planning on taking any visits other than to Minnesota," Snelson said. "I'm really happy to be a Gopher and I want Minnesota fans to know they are getting a dynamic player who plans to plan early on in his career. Minnesota is the place where I think I'll do my best work and I can't wait to get up there."

$ Minnesota Gophers Football, Basketball, and Recruiting Front Page

As of right now... conveniently left un-bolded...

minnesota-gopher-chicks-take-selfies-during-the-wisconsin-game.gif

314374_10150453281807392_264241842_n.jpg

2510c4a5b0d3bdec462cf677566759a3.jpg

Advertisement
Back