Dorsey

That 2001 team **** near lost a couple games due to bad coaching. The reason they were such a well oiled machine, at times, was because of the coaching they got the years leading up to 2001. Now, Butch Davis wasn't some game day guru, but he was the best coach we've had in years at getting players to work their butts off to be the best they could be. The whole reason they worked so hard was because they didn't want to let him down and get in his doghouse. So yes, the 2001 team was greatly influenced by a quality head coach.

Yes, some of us could have coached that team to a title, perhaps. However, if you give us the Miami Hurricanes of 1995 to coach them for 6 years, there's no way in **** we win a title. A coach built that team by identifying talent, and maximizing that talent. Davis didn't just get the best players. He identified great players that other schools didn't. He then pushed them to their limits. That is why Coker could win in 2001. That is why many coaches could have won with the 2001 team.
Great analysis!!! I am with on that. You need a lot of elements to win championships not just the players.

Advertisement
Great analysis!!! I am with on that. You need a lot of elements to win championships not just the players.
Don't get me wrong, you need great players. I'm not saying that at all. However, look at the teams that get the best talent year after year. It can not be a coincidence that those teams have grade A coaches. People like to use the 2001 team as an example of great talent trumping average coaching, but you simply can not do so without acknowledging the coaching that put it all together.

Advertisement
Back