Don't want Mario, boatraced by Utah?

You take Mario if you can get him, regardless of last night. He’s better than Lane and will stay longer than 2 years. Kiffin doesn’t stay anywhere for more than a couple years.

I have seen the same silly argument in the Kiffin or Cristobal debate about 658 times now. It's always "I don't want Kiffin because he is a short term rental", Kiffin will leave for a NFL job at the first opportunity" or some such nonsense that UM should avoid Kiffin because he's supposedly a mercenary.

In the United States of America, we have a thing called "a contract." All coaches sign them. It may surprise you to know coaches don't just agree to come to a program with a handshake and a pinky promise.

If you really think Kiffin is that much of a mercenary, it's a problem easily addressed with a couple lines in his contract. The contract could include a high buyout if he voluntarily leaves. If a NFL team wants to pay UM $40 million for Kiffin after two years as UM coach, I'll help pack his bags. It's not some strange concept for coaching contracts, Dabos contract has a Bama clause that says Bama has to pay twice the buyout amount if he leaves for them.

If Kiffin balks at the high buyout (to be fair to both sides, it could start sky high then go down each year he's UM HC), then move on to someone else.

Since the worry that Kiffin might leave is ridiculously easy to address in a contract, let's retire this argument.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I think many posters are underrating just how good that Utah team is.

Since they switched to rising at QB, they are one of the hottest teams in the nation. They are a fringe top 5 team, power ratings-wise.

Add to that the Wittingham is one of the best coaches in the country in his own right, and they were at home in front of a rowdy crowd... a lot of parallels to the ND game in 2017.

Is this a joke about Kiffin having no restrictions at all while at USC? Lmaoooo. He was hit with major sanctions from the Carroll era. Legit sanctions, not the Golden era cloud with a measly 9 scholly losses.

USC sanctions that Kiffin dealt with while HC there: 2 year bowl ban, vacated victories, 30 SCHOLLY LOSSES over a 3 year period. And the man still went 28-15 with some of the toughest sanctions ever handed out to a football program. I remember how small his recruiting classes were…they were in the 10-15 range, but he always pulled studs regardless.

You lost me at no restrictions homie. Gotta get the facts first.

Should add that in his 2nd year at USC he went 10-2 with only 51 scholarship players and beat then #3 Oregon at Autzen. USC couldn't play in the post season due to Pete Carroll, which is why you don't see that the team won the Pac12 South.

Advertisement
Here’s an issue that needs to be examined...

We all know that Anthony Brown sucks & is not a good QB, I’m sure Saint Cristobal knows that too...

So why stick with him even when he’s playing terribly? His last 3 games he’s played pretty bad & at best has been pedestrian, but has taken every snap for them. Obviously, Oregon doesn’t win games because of their QB, they win with Running the ball & playing good defense, so in their formula they only need the QB to be average in order to win.

Here’s the problem with that, you can get away with it in the garbage Pac-12 that doesn’t have any good QB’s anymore, but when you play tougher comp, that formula can only last but so long, in today’s era of college football & football in general, QB play is life, without good QB play you can only go but so far.

So knowing he has a QB who is limited in his ability, but sticking with him anyway even when he’s not playing well is a questionable decision IMO. For a guy that’s heralded as an Elite recruiter & progrum builder makes me wonder why he’s relying on a subpar transfer QB in year 4...

Yeah I know he has Frosh QB’s, two of whom were high ranked 4-stars in Jay Butterfield & Ty Thompson, but does he know that? Are they not ready yet & if so why not? Does any of this sound familiar?

Great take. Please remember all to judge every coach on a per game basis as their entire resume. Big win, they are the second coming, big loss, they should be working at Burger sking.
Dude got smoked in one of his biggest games to date with the playoffs on the line AND everyone knowing that UM is in play. He had a ton to play for and came out and Manny diaz'd it to near perfection.

Oh, and the idea that he purposely tanked this game because he’s leaving to come to Miami doesn’t sound logical at all to me...

I mean, from what yall tell me about Mario that seems to go against his DNA as a coach, that doesn’t sound like something he would do given his unmatched high character & integrity.

And if his players were distracted by the Miami talk, that’s interesting as well, because Mario is also said to have highly focused & disciplined teams that he holds accountable, which is one of the main reasons why he’s so beloved amongst our fan base. Because he absolutely excoriates his players on every snap when they make mistakes & that really gets our fans hot & bothered as well...

So I would imagine he wouldn’t be too happy with getting beat by 31 points & essentially ruining their chances of getting in the playoffs.

Advertisement

We all know that Anthony Brown sucks & is not a good QB, I’m sure Saint Cristobal knows that too...

So why stick with him even when he’s playing terribly? His last 3 games he’s played pretty bad & at best has been pedestrian, but has taken every snap for them. Obviously, Oregon doesn’t win games because of their QB, they win with Running the ball & playing good defense, so in their formula they only need the QB to be average in order to win.

Here’s the problem with that, you can get away with it in the garbage Pac-12 that doesn’t have any good QB’s anymore, but when you play tougher comp, that formula can only last but so long, in today’s era of college football & football in general, QB play is life, without good QB play you can only go but so far.

So knowing he has a QB who is limited in his ability, but sticking with him anyway even when he’s not playing well is a questionable decision IMO. For a guy that’s heralded as an Elite recruiter & progrum builder makes me wonder why he’s relying on a subpar transfer QB in year 4...

Yeah I know he has Frosh QB’s, two of whom were high ranked 4-stars in Jay Butterfield & Ty Thompson, but does he know that? Are they not ready yet & if so why not? Does any of this sound familiar?

Diaz: "I'm starting D'Eriq King over the two more talented QBs on the roster because he's more experienced and gives us the best chance to win"

Fan response: "Fire him! He's a beta cuck for sticking with the less capable QB and favoring experience over talent!"

-----

Cristobal: "I'm starting Anthony Brown over the two more talented QBs on the roster because he's more experienced and gives us the best chance to win"

Fan response: "THIS IS THE HEAD COACH WE NEED!“

Diaz: "I'm starting D'Eriq King over the two more talented QBs on the roster because he's more experienced and gives us the best chance to win"

Fan response: "Fire him! He's a beta cuck for sticking with the less capable QB and favoring experience over talent!"

-----

Cristobal: "I'm starting Anthony Brown over the two more talented QBs on the roster because he's more experienced and gives us the best chance to win"

Fan response: "THIS IS THE HEAD COACH WE NEED!“
It brought me back to Richt sticking with Rosier in the 2018 season...

With the CFB playoff on the line, it would have been a difficult decision to throw in inexperienced QBs in my opinion. Now that they're all but out of the playoff, he should experiment with his backups.

Nick Saban went 9-2 in his final season at Michigan State but lost 40-10 to Wisconsin and 52-28 to Purdue.

Guy sucks. Glad we didn't hire him.

Advertisement

Maybe Brown, even with his shortcomings, is still the best to get a W?

IF that is the case, a red flag from roster building standpoint...

Maybe Brown, even with his shortcomings, is still the best to get a W?

IF that is the case, a red flag from roster building standpoint...
That’s exactly the parallel I drew to Richt...

It was apparent that Rosier was an awful QB, but he was also the only one that allegedly gave us the best chance to win, which was an indictment of his QB recruiting & development.

If Anthony Brown gives them their best chance to win, despite having two high ranked 4-star QB’s on the roster behind him, that’s not a good reflection of his QB recruiting/development, especially considering they’re in year 4.

Oklahoma, OH St, Bama etc are all going just fine with True & Red Frosh QB’s.

Advertisement
Oh, and the idea that he purposely tanked this game because he’s leaving to come to Miami doesn’t sound logical at all to me...

I mean, from what yall tell me about Mario that seems to go against his DNA as a coach, that doesn’t sound like something he would do given his unmatched high character & integrity.

And if his players were distracted by the Miami talk, that’s interesting as well, because Mario is also said to have highly focused & disciplined teams that he holds accountable, which is one of the main reasons why he’s so beloved amongst our fan base. Because he absolutely excoriates his players on every snap when they make mistakes & that really gets our fans hot & bothered as well...

So I would imagine he wouldn’t be too happy with getting beat by 31 points & essentially ruining their chances of getting in the playoffs.
I will be ok with hiring Mario. Not saying we shouldnt hire him but that was a bad L. If Mario was our coach and took that type of L, people would be losing their minds over it.

Wasn't Utah the non power 5 team that beat Saban early on during his Alabama tenure by like 2 or 3 scores? It didnt seem to stop Saban from being a great coach.

That’s exactly the parallel I drew to Richt...

It was apparent that Rosier was an awful QB, but he was also the only one that allegedly gave us the best chance to win, which was an indictment of his QB recruiting & development.

If Anthony Brown gives them their best chance to win, despite having two high ranked 4-star QB’s on the roster behind him, that’s not a good reflection of his QB recruiting/development, especially considering they’re in year 4.

Oklahoma, OH St, Bama etc are all going just fine with True & Red Frosh QB’s.
Decisions...

decisions...

decisions...

Let's make it easy, just call Temple...

F that I want a coach who can recruit straight trench bullies ( and their Mama's by default). Mario gonna have UM'S parents lounge stack with plumper dimes!!

6b70c1f36f678e0e80d8ff88d6f1e1cc.jpg

#ThickThighsMakeBigLives

Go Canes

Thought experiment : if she sat in that wooden chair for millions of years on that wooden floor with all that time and pressure would it create coal?

Advertisement
Back