Don't want Mario, boatraced by Utah?

Advertisement
I will be ok with hiring Mario. Not saying we shouldnt hire him but that was a bad L. If Mario was our coach and took that type of L, people would be losing their minds over it.

I find it odd that UM fans are white knighting for a guy who isn't even the UM coach.

Here's a hypothetical for everyone. Let's pretend the season had started off like we hoped. UM wins a nail biter over Bama on a last second FG. UM is #1 or #2 in the country for the first 7 games. Then UM loses 38-7 to #18 NC St. Now we're on the verge of missing the playoffs. Then a couple games later UM loses to FSU and completely blows its chance at the playoffs. Would fans be saying, "Hey even Saban had some bad losses, Diaz should be rewarded for the season and get an extension" or would they be saying, "Diaz got lucky he caught Bama when they were rusty and he is a f#cking garbage coach who will always blow UMs chances for a title." Call me crazy, but I think there would be a near unanimous consensus on the latter. I'm not saying Cristobal is a garbage coach, but you all know what I said about the reception Diaz would get is a fact.

I find it odd that UM fans are white knighting for a guy who isn't even the UM coach.

Here's a hypothetical for everyone. Let's pretend the season had started off like we hoped. UM wins a nail biter over Bama on a last second FG. UM is #1 or #2 in the country for the first 7 games. Then UM loses 38-7 to #18 NC St. Now we're on the verge of missing the playoffs. Then a couple games later UM loses to FSU and completely blows its chance at the playoffs. Would fans be saying, "Hey even Saban had some bad losses, Diaz should be rewarded for the season and get an extension" or would they be saying, "Diaz got lucky he caught Bama when they were rusty and he is a f#cking garbage coach who will always blow UMs chances for a title." Call me crazy, but I think there would be a near unanimous consensus on the latter.
I cant recall a case in the post Butch era, where we got blown out and the fans didnt call the coach garbage. I do wonder if there had been message boards back in the day what people would have said after Tennessee blew out Jmmy's 85 team or UA blew us out in the Fiesta bowl.

Lane still got the egg bowl against the Pirate. What happen to Mario might happen to Lane.

Advertisement
I expected them to lose. Oregon’s biggest issue is that they haven’t recruited a good QB.

Mario would inherit a much better QB room here, and there are some big-name QBs on the horizon (Tyler Aronson among them) who he will have a great shot at signing.
I agree about this year..but he did have Herbert..and you see what that kid is doing in the league..but he had losses like this one with him

I recall this fan base wanting to run off Butch Davis from the UCLA loss at the Rose Bowl in his opener in 1995 right up through that loss at Washington in 2000—and then spending years clamoring for the guy to come back.

In short, our fans don't know what this program wants or needs. Some really want to run off Mario because of what he is / isn't doing with Oregon, opposed to realizing there's a ceiling in Eugene and a different blueprint and landscape in Coral Gables.

F that I want a coach who can recruit straight trench bullies ( and their Mama's by default). Mario gonna have UM'S parents lounge stack with plumper dimes!!

6b70c1f36f678e0e80d8ff88d6f1e1cc.jpg

#ThickThighsMakeBigLives

Go Canes
Dude seriously? 🤮

I recall this fan base wanting to run off Butch Davis from the UCLA loss at the Rose Bowl in his opener in 1995 right up through that loss at Washington in 2000—and then spending years clamoring for the guy to come back.

In short, our fans don't know what this program wants or needs. Some really want to run off Mario because of what he is / isn't doing with Oregon, opposed to realizing there's a ceiling in Eugene and a different blueprint and landscape in Coral Gables.
This board (and sports fans in general) make entire deductions and assumptions from a single game. You can't do that. One big win doesn't mean a guy can coach, nor does a bad loss mean he can't. You have to review the entire body of work/season and go from there.

Advertisement
it's not even worth a reply, there's no defending that *** whooping. That's not just some loss, it's an utter beat down in year 4 not 1 or 2. This is all his guys, his coaches, his everything and he got slapped, pushed down, dragged, shoved in the car and sent floating into the river.
It happens to the best of them. Jimmy Johnson had a losing record in his 4th season at Okie St. that same season he got dog walked by Nebraska and San Diego St. The next season he was 8-4 and then we hired him for the following season. Saban got destroyed in his fourth year at MSU by and non ranked Oregon and 23rd ranked Penn St.

Deciding on a coach comes down to more than just records and if they may have been blown out before. All of our great coaches hadn’t done much before they got here. I’d be willing to bet that the majority of the board would be up in arms if we hired someone with Jimmy Johnson’s resume before coming to Miami.

As I said in multiple threads, I did watch the oregon utah game last night and had planned on watching it in it's entirety. Is this what "utah does to people?"

like has been said many times before on here, mario brings nothing schematically to a football team. He's a cot dayum recruiter and that's it because last night that's all I saw. I watched a large part of that game, whomever that utah coach is was coaching circles around this guy. Hard nosed physically dominant team?? That's what he's supposed to bring here? Utah completely shut down their run game, and oregons defense looked absolutely gassed on just the second drive by utah.

I wanted kiffin a tad bit more than mario because I think he can coach better, I would have been alright with either but kiffin was the guy to me. After tonight, I don't want this dude anywhere near this program lol. Their entire season has been fools gold, barely beating 4 different teams by around 1 possession on average.

They got manhandled in all phases of the game, that was the most uninspiring game I've watched in quite some time.
I wonder if you felt the same about Saban after he got "boatraced" 44-16 by Clemson for a natty? This one game doesn't one game doesn't define Mario any more than that game defined Saban.

Advertisement

Not the entire fan base. The team made obvious progress in ‘98 and ‘99.

What realistic coach mentioned does not have flaws that can be cherry picked? I have no favorite. Just hope whoever they hire fits and does well.

Advertisement
Yes. He's the #2 name right now when it comes to job openings, only behind Lincoln Riley. USC wants him and that's a Top 10 job. Florida wants him.

Now the AD job is a different subject. If Zo didn't play here there would be zero chance he comes here in any capacity. After hearing them dudes say things like we need to use the portal less I don't think it's going to work out well. Can't bring a 1980 way of thinking and expect to win in 2022.
What's the status with Riley? Any chance with a strong AD and a football guy in a support role he could be in play? I know LSU is supposedly willing to sell the farm for him but maybe he would be interested in coming to Paradise and winning a few Naties and a couple more Hisemans?

What's the status with Riley? Any chance with a strong AD and a football guy in a support role he could be in play? I know LSU is supposedly willing to sell the farm for him but maybe he would be interested in coming to Paradise and winning a few Naties and a couple more Hisemans?
I'm not connected, but from the outside looking in Riley seems like a long shot. I would love to have him though. Maybe we could get whoever he's grooming to come here and be OC.

Advertisement
Back