Don't let the speed leave

The 2018 WR class leaves a lot to be desired, in retrospect. There is still hope for Mark Pope in the new offense, and Dee Wiggins showed flashes. But it didn't work out with Brian Hightower and Marquez Ezzard.

What hurts is that 2018 was the most explosive group of WRs in South Florida, and we don't have enough to show for it. Specifically, two of the best track athletes in the state (Anthony Schwartz and Tyquan Thornton) and the best overall tester at the Opening (TuTu Atwell) were allowed to leave town. None of the three were huge recruits. Now, they all look like gamebreakers in college.

We need to do a better job of making sure that the most explosive players stay home. Baylor under Matt Rhule was not a high-profile program, but they recruited speed and put a ton of stock into track times and verified testing. We need to have a similar focus if we want to be a faster team.
Amen. Seems like an obvious aspect of evals, also.

Elite athletic ability generally we have avoided. ‘Athletic enough’ has been the standard since Shannon. For kids who aren’t the very top recruits, we rarely go for speed, even when it’s elite.

The rest of cfb is more miami than miami is these days.

Advertisement
They took the most important step which is changing the offense. That’s going to make us much more attractive if things go as planned.

Second step is to take a systematic approach to recruiting speed like Baylor, Ohio State and Penn State. We need to know who the fastest players in the area are by track times/combine testing and prioritize them. I like Ezzard but he should never be getting more attention than a guy like Thornton or Atwell.
I started a thread on recruiting _strategy_ after Manny was hired. It touched on a lot of these topics.

Obviously winning and scheme helps. But knowing your needs and what you’re looking for overall, by position and traits of kids, how to think about local vs non-local and getting right input from local insiders so you don’t waste time or get played, those are table stakes. Also, knowing how to prioritize and navigate in a fluid process matters a lot.

Put aside that we’ve executed poorly for a long while. We don’t see to have a well-developed strategy or plan.

Love Atwell, wish we'd taken him. But Thornton looks like a future 1st round pick. Loose hips for a 6'3 trackster.

Schwartz? Wanted him, but he was always going somewhere with a legit track program and all I see there is a ton of reverses with a guy who doesn't really look like a football player. But he's not soft, which is more than you can say for some of the guys we've had at the position the last 15-20 years.

What happened to our track program??

Advertisement
We do not prioritize speed at all. We get some fast kids here and there but we are not one of the schools that sees sub 11 seconds 100m track times and 4.5 40s then puts those players at the top of our board.

But, but, but, but everyone is running 20 mph per Feeley bro.

Exactly....speed hasn't been a problem on O it's the D... offensively, we can't let the best OL leave the area... defensively, we can't let good DL or DBs with speed leave on the regular......right now this staff needs to mainly coach up or upgrade the trenches more than anything else....if Miami can't win up front we will never get back to winning again...

Naw, speed has been our problem on O too, bro.

We haven’t had a player to blow the roof off since Dorsett.

JT4 was a shifty, short area guy but he got tracked a lot.
Pope has never broke chit
Wiggins has some speed
Harley seems to move his legs fast, but don’t go no where. Lol
Lingard was a speed guy, but we know what happened there
Homer was a speed guy, but chose contact for some reason
DeeJay was a balance guy. Dude had great balance

We can use some infusion of speed. We had monsters like Dre running 4.3-4.4 and looked like he was running a 4.3-4.4.
It appears most of our guys are speedsters one shorts & tees, v. pads.

- Schwartz was never enrolling at Miami (even though he has not made an impact on NCAA/sec track - which was my prediction)
- Atwell was just a complete miss. But we could say the same for Elijah Moore.

Also, the comparison between men’s track at Baylor and Auburn versus Miami … it’s not even worth getting into.

Dee Wiggins in the hands of a good coach and offense can be a first/second rounder.

but, setting aside recruiting, this is a development issue and it points to strength and conditioning. (Off the top of my head: of the 5 fastest times at the combine over the last 3 years, 2 of them were grad transfers from Buffalo and Citadel.)

Wiggins needs to consistently catch the football before we talk about day 1/2.

Advertisement
Wow, Schwartz?

The guy hasn't done **** on the college level and had he came here he still wouldn't have done jack. We could've landed Jeudy and he would've looked pedestrian here.

You will continue to see lackluster performances across the board until you fix the OC, OL and QB area. Put the WR we have or have had in position to be successful and this conversation would be nonexistent.

We do not prioritize speed at all. We get some fast kids here and there but we are not one of the schools that sees sub 11 seconds 100m track times and 4.5 40s then puts those players at the top of our board.

I'm not contradicting you. But we end up getting 4.5 guys anyway. Harley, Pope, Wiggins and Redding are all right there. And we've got good short shuttle guys, too.

Yes, I would like to make a point of getting one elite speedster a class. I'd put Y Brown in that list, too. May not be as fast as Alexis. But his speed is elite, he's ready to break 11 on the 100m, and is one of those local legends we talk about. Given the choice between the two, I'd have picked Atwell over Shcwartz. And I'd pick Brown over Alexis.

But, again, at the strategic level, WR is just not our main problem, IMHO.

I'm an admitted speed *****. Why is it so difficult for our staffs to realize that speed is more dangerous than size. That's why I hate we lost Fleming. Can't coach speed! Hope Lashlee understands that.

Need both speed and size, but yeah, agreed.

I'm not contradicting you. But we end up getting 4.5 guys anyway. Harley, Pope, Wiggins and Redding are all right there. And we've got good short shuttle guys, too.

Yes, I would like to make a point of getting one elite speedster a class. I'd put Y Brown in that list, too. May not be as fast as Alexis. But his speed is elite, he's ready to break 11 on the 100m, and is one of those local legends we talk about. Given the choice between the two, I'd have picked Atwell over Shcwartz. And I'd pick Brown over Alexis.

But, again, at the strategic level, WR is just not our main problem, IMHO.

We have our share of fast guys without a doubt. We are ok with speed at WR. Not great, but we have more than enough to dominate the ACC with King at qb. Mark Pope has the potential to be a 2nd or 3rd team All-Acc player this year.

I have a beef is with the athletes in the back 7, the past decade, and not going after the elite speed players like you mentioned. Whether that is Isaiah Mckenzie or Tyquan Thornton. There is always room for improvement. Clemson will be waiting for us if we can ever be consistent enough to string together some Coastal championships. Miami needs gamebreaking athletes everywhere to beat Clemson.

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement
I'm all for having guys that are 6'2+ out wide but I still think Elijah Moore and Schwartz should have been with Pope and Wiggins in the class. I was a big fan of ezzard until I found out about his **** attitude but those two are dynamic. You don't coach 10.04 speed with Schwartz (take it and make it work) and the only person I seen run better routes than Moore in the last few classes down here is Jeudy.

I'm all for having guys that are 6'2+ out wide but I still think Elijah Moore and Schwartz should have been with Pope and Wiggins in the class. I was a big fan of ezzard until I found out about his **** attitude but those two are dynamic. You don't coach 10.04 speed with Schwartz (take it and make it work) and the only person I seen run better routes than Moore in the last few classes down here is Jeudy.
He runs a 10.04?

Advertisement
Y'all saying our speed is fine...
That's all it is. "Fine"

We don't have SPEED SPEED.
We get more press-man coverage NOW than we ever did. Nobody is scared of us right now. We haven't had a legit return man since maybe Travis Benjamin.

Just to put things in perspective...
Travis ran a 4.3 at the combine and Miller (4.40), Streeter (4.40) and DVD (4.28) were also on that team if I remember correctly.
And Colin McCarthy (4.6) would smoke Quarterman and Pinkney.

Y'all saying our speed is fine...
That's all it is. "Fine"

We don't have SPEED SPEED.
We get more press-man coverage NOW than we ever did. Nobody is scared of us right now. We haven't had a legit return man since maybe Travis Benjamin.

Just to put things in perspective...
Travis ran a 4.3 at the combine and Miller (4.40), Streeter (4.40) and DVD (4.28) were also on that team if I remember correctly.
And Colin McCarthy (4.6) would smoke Quarterman and Pinkney.
Lot of people agreeing on speed.

Advertisement
Back