Don't let the speed leave

Advertisement
Hold up. If you have a 5’11 WR that runs 4.35 but have a 6’3 WR that runs 4.42 then 9 out of 10 you’re going with the 6’3 guy running 4.42. There so much more to WR than just speed and any trying to say oh but he’s faster needs to learn more about Football. That’s how you end up with Mike Harley over Emeka Emezie or trying to recruit LaTrell Williams over Kelvin Harmon or Quintez Cepheus.

What a take! Miami should hire you in the recruiting department

I may be mistaken but I've been under the impression Atwell was pretty set on playing QB - that's why we didn't pursue him much.

Advertisement
Yes, though Schwartz wasn't coming here so staff moved on relatively early. We recruited Thornton until the end. He chose Baylor over us. Them not coming here was not a result of lack of recruiting, moreso lack of production, but OP's point remains.

The problem fixes itself by winning some games and proper utilization of what we have. We have to be able to walk into living rooms of these kids a year from now and point to production on the field from guys on the roster and say come be our next James Proche and catch 9 balls a game. That's all most of these kids need to see and hear to start begging to play for us. Promise it won't take long to fix if Lashlee can replicate what he did at SMU.
True. I remember Thornton went to Baylor in part because of track too. Op does have a point. But we aren’t gonna to be able to keep everyone. Never have been even when we were on top. We certainly need to do better no lie. But you can go back to Stanford samuels sr who got out of Dade right out carol city and plenty more.

- Schwartz was never enrolling at Miami (even though he has not made an impact on NCAA/sec track - which was my prediction)
- Atwell was just a complete miss. But we could say the same for Elijah Moore.

Also, the comparison between men’s track at Baylor and Auburn versus Miami … it’s not even worth getting into.

Dee Wiggins in the hands of a good coach and offense can be a first/second rounder.

but, setting aside recruiting, this is a development issue and it points to strength and conditioning. (Off the top of my head: of the 5 fastest times at the combine over the last 3 years, 2 of them were grad transfers from Buffalo and Citadel.)

Advertisement
In fairness how many ppl on this board wanted tutu atwelll at miami? Nigel bethel is fast didnt workout. I was one who wished we could have got atwell at that time.

- Schwartz was never enrolling at Miami (even though he has not made an impact on NCAA/sec track - which was my prediction)
- Atwell was just a complete miss. But we could say the same for Elijah Moore.

Also, the comparison between men’s track at Baylor and Auburn versus Miami … it’s not even worth getting into.

Dee Wiggins in the hands of a good coach and offense can be a first/second rounder.

but, setting aside recruiting, this is a development issue and it points to strength and conditioning. (Off the top of my head: of the 5 fastest times at the combine over the last 3 years, 2 of them were grad transfers from Buffalo and Citadel.)
Delaney and kJ didn’t play as fast as they ran

I don’t think speed is the main issue. We just had JT4 4.45 40 at the combine and laser 4.38 40 at Nike camp in HS, Osborn 4.48 40 at combine, Pope near top in state 100m, and Harley (whom JT4 said would beat him in the 100m, not the 40.) Not many teams had two WRs running like that at the combine.
That being said you can’t ever have enough speed. FWIW, We are about to have the fastest RB room we’ve had since the NC team, too.

Advertisement
Delaney and kJ didn’t play as fast as they ran
Disagree on KJ. I heard that viewpoint throughout the season, but I always felt he had good speed. Two of the biggest irruption’s involving players on this board over the last three years had to do with none other than… Sheldrick Redwine - at spring measurables and at the combine. You still have people saying Redwine is not “that” fast.

and playing fast is a function of coaching. When they understand, they stop overthinking.

The 2018 WR class leaves a lot to be desired, in retrospect. There is still hope for Mark Pope in the new offense, and Dee Wiggins showed flashes. But it didn't work out with Brian Hightower and Marquez Ezzard.

What hurts is that 2018 was the most explosive group of WRs in South Florida, and we don't have enough to show for it. Specifically, two of the best track athletes in the state (Anthony Schwartz and Tyquan Thornton) and the best overall tester at the Opening (TuTu Atwell) were allowed to leave town. None of the three were huge recruits. Now, they all look like gamebreakers in college.

We need to do a better job of making sure that the most explosive players stay home. Baylor under Matt Rhule was not a high-profile program, but they recruited speed and put a ton of stock into track times and verified testing. We need to have a similar focus if we want to be a faster team.

Mike Rumph coach Schwartz since he was like 10. Was on the same team as Tyson Campbell smh. We didnt even recruit any of the 3 up there.
Thornton was a known commodity from his optomist level as well as TuTu who i woulda took.

Advertisement
Kids like TuTu should never leave. Local legend with testing to back up the explosiveness on film.

Anybody could’ve predicted that he went to Louisville and balled.

Was it just a rumor that he wanted to play QB and Louisville was selling him on being like Lamar and Teddy? I could see UM getting killed if they promised him a shot at QB then switched him to WR. I don't feel like UL would get that same kind of backlash in the event they flat out lied. But I agree in 2018 you take him over Ezzard all day, without question.

What a take! Miami should hire you in the recruiting department
It’s true. If that 5’11 WR and 6’3 WR has the same skill set then they’re going to take the bigger WR now. Corners are too big and they’ll throw that little WR out of bounds and that’s not even talking about the natural advantage of catch radius, jump balls, and blocking. This isn’t 2002, 5’11 WR’s need to be John Ross/Henry Riggs/Tyreek Hill type burners or they’ll be relegated to the slot and be 3rd round picks if they’re productive. Even slot guys are getting bigger than they used to.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back