Don't let the speed leave

That year I said we were making a mistake but I got roasted and called a troll hahahah
I remember the excuses tutu is a qb , Schwartz was only a track guy
I still maintain the stance that you recruit things like speed and it’s ups to the coaches to coach them into wr, that’s why we pay them 6 figures

Advertisement
I don’t think speed is the main issue. We just had JT4 4.45 40 at the combine and laser 4.38 40 at Nike camp in HS, Osborn 4.48 40 at combine, Pope near top in state 100m, and Harley (whom JT4 said would beat him in the 100m, not the 40.) Not many teams had two WRs running like that at the combine.
That being said you can’t ever have enough speed. FWIW, We are about to have the fastest RB room we’ve had since the NC team, too.

This... people act like we send WRs to the league and their running 4.7 plus times..

We have speed.. we have talent... we still haven’t figured out how to use it correctly.

There's some kids you just HAVE to take. You throw height/weight/position out of the window and you take the kid simply because he's the best/most explosive football player in South Florida. That was Tutu. The things I watched that kid do in person were just foolish.

Advertisement
People making good points in this thread all around. You gotta believe Restrepo is one of these kids we kept home. He may not have been the most highly recruited...BUT the kid is a straight dog with great testing numbers and production against good competition. We're good at WR.

There's some kids you just HAVE to take. You throw height/weight/position out of the window and you take the kid simply because he's the best/most explosive football player in South Florida. That was Tutu. The things I watched that kid do in person were just foolish.

Tu Tu did exactly what Roscoe Parrish did down here....

and Denard Robinson...sh*t is confusing when they just dont offer.

How do we keep them D$?

This is the dog chasing it's tail every year...

It's always "we can't let player X leave home" & that player always leaves to go to school elsewhere lol.

How do we keep these kids home? And if it's we gotta start winning, then what do we sell them in the meantime because we can't actually win until we play games, so what exactly is the strategy to keep these kids home?

I think the kids that we deem “must haves” are slapdick prima donnas like Donnell last year and Bogle the year before. Don’t get me wrong, we won’t win BIG until we lock down the high profile dudes at a better (existent?) rate.

That said, we won’t ever be competitive unless we keep the local studs that everyone else is drawn to. We kept Jaquan, Bandy and Harley home, but kids like TuTu, Freeman, Hilton back in the day, etc just HAVE to be canes.
You lock them up early and they recruit for you the rest of the way, even if they’re only 3 stars they are difference makers on the trail because they’ve got respect going back to grade school.

build a roster that actually looks like Miami and keep the leaders home, and that gets you to that Taj Boyd Era of Clemson. And then you actually won a few big ones and the rest is history.

Advertisement
Tu Tu did exactly what Roscoe Parrish did down here....

and Denard Robinson...sh*t is confusing when they just dont offer.
Agree with Atwell but DRob wanted to play QB. DRob should’ve played CB or FS. He would’ve been a pro bowler. The fact that Cyp was drafted the 1st pick in round 2 and had a long career proves it. DRob was MUCH more talented. It wasn’t even close.

Agree with Atwell but DRob wanted to play QB. DRob should’ve played CB or FS. He would’ve been a pro bowler. The fact that Cyp was drafted the 1st pick in round 2 and had a long career proves it. DRob was MUCH more talented. It wasn’t even close.

Its your job to "recruit" and get him on the roster.

ninja made money playing rb in the league

The 2018 WR class leaves a lot to be desired, in retrospect. There is still hope for Mark Pope in the new offense, and Dee Wiggins showed flashes. But it didn't work out with Brian Hightower and Marquez Ezzard.

What hurts is that 2018 was the most explosive group of WRs in South Florida, and we don't have enough to show for it. Specifically, two of the best track athletes in the state (Anthony Schwartz and Tyquan Thornton) and the best overall tester at the Opening (TuTu Atwell) were allowed to leave town. None of the three were huge recruits. Now, they all look like gamebreakers in college.

We need to do a better job of making sure that the most explosive players stay home. Baylor under Matt Rhule was not a high-profile program, but they recruited speed and put a ton of stock into track times and verified testing. We need to have a similar focus if we want to be a faster team.

We always take the wrong ones and let the speed leave. How is Tutu on another squad? Baffling af.

Advertisement
@Liberty City El was on Tutu and I was on Schwartz.

And I don’t recall real effort being made for either. Schwartz was hanging around for a minute, and the rumor continued to be, he wanted to go to a good track program.

Advertisement
Love Atwell, wish we'd taken him. But Thornton looks like a future 1st round pick. Loose hips for a 6'3 trackster.

Schwartz? Wanted him, but he was always going somewhere with a legit track program and all I see there is a ton of reverses with a guy who doesn't really look like a football player. But he's not soft, which is more than you can say for some of the guys we've had at the position the last 15-20 years.

I don’t think speed is the main issue. We just had JT4 4.45 40 at the combine and laser 4.38 40 at Nike camp in HS, Osborn 4.48 40 at combine, Pope near top in state 100m, and Harley (whom JT4 said would beat him in the 100m, not the 40.) Not many teams had two WRs running like that at the combine.
That being said you can’t ever have enough speed. FWIW, We are about to have the fastest RB room we’ve had since the NC team, too.
Exactly....speed hasn't been a problem on O it's the D... offensively, we can't let the best OL leave the area... defensively, we can't let good DL or DBs with speed leave on the regular......right now this staff needs to mainly coach up or upgrade the trenches more than anything else....if Miami can't win up front we will never get back to winning again...

Advertisement
Back