Don't let the speed leave

I don't know what your metric for "huge" recruits are, but two of the three were 4 star recruits. That is not a sleeper or a hidden gem. Also we don't have the track program to hang with Baylor/Auburn anyway and I thought that was a factor for both those guys?

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement
I don't know what your metric for "huge" recruits are, but two of the three were 4 star recruits. That is not a sleeper or a hidden gem. Also we don't have the track program to hang with Baylor/Auburn anyway and I thought that was a factor for both those guys?

Thornton was a three-star when he first committed to Baylor and throughout much of the process. Don't believe he ever ran track for Baylor.

For a program that’s supposedly known for its all around speed we’ve looked slow compared to about 75% of our opponents for years.

You look at teams like a Memphis or a Houston even that have had track teams full of guys that all could catch and run like **** and you gotta wonder why we are running lead footed brick handed guys out there.

There are many many WRs out there that have both size AND speed that would have jumped at the chance to be a Cane if offered but for whatever reason never got recruited or were considered not to be good enough to be a Cane.

This all goes to coaching and QB play.Until we can get a coach(es) that have a clue how to evaluate talent and a QB in here that can get the ball to them to allow them to use their speed and pass catching skills that line of WRs we will continue to watch ball out elsewhere will continue to stretch longer and longer and ...well you get the idea.

Y'all saying our speed is fine...
That's all it is. "Fine"

We don't have SPEED SPEED.
We get more press-man coverage NOW than we ever did. Nobody is scared of us right now. We haven't had a legit return man since maybe Travis Benjamin.

Just to put things in perspective...
Travis ran a 4.3 at the combine and Miller (4.40), Streeter (4.40) and DVD (4.28) were also on that team if I remember correctly.
And Colin McCarthy (4.6) would smoke Quarterman and Pinkney.

Anybody that’s says our speed is fine is a straight dolt. We’re slow as **** on D.

Last edited:
Advertisement
A few years ago, @Coach Macho and I had a conversation about speed. I said if kids are going to the combine and they haven’t improved their speed over their high school years, then take a look at the S&C program, there might be a problem. Last year @apfenny3 , myself and a few others had raised eyebrows about what we considered an excessive amount of 300’s (or whatever they were). If you’re looking for speed … you might never do a workout like that. Ever.

there was also a debate on these boards on the effectiveness of deadlifts. The “deadlifts“ people outnumbered the “forget Deadlifts“ people, who argued “Olympic lifts” and squats + plyometrics, almost to the exclusion of all else.

yes, Miami has to recruit better but Miami also has to develop better. and the weight room numbers don’t impress. At all. It’s a sport of strength and collisions but athletes in other sports are outperforming Miami’s athletes in similar lifts/performances.

here’s A 6’5”, 270lb man running the equivalent of a “combine 4.5x” 40. I’ll bet he doesn’t deadlift or does so little to be inconsequential.

here’s Reese Hoffa running 1.68 at 320lbs

a big deal was made of Saquon Barkley power cleaning 425, here’s an avg British sprinter FRONT squatting that

it’s not just the fast kids, where are the strong kids? Explosive kids? Most would expect football players to be stronger than top track athletes … but not at Miami, unfortunately.

Iowa, Wisconsin, Stanford… routinely trains 2* and 3* athletes, yet Miami cant train up 3*, 4* and 5stars?

im not saying you can train/teach what Schwartz has, but there’s no reason that 3-4 years of S&C shouldn’t yield better combine results … faster, stronget, more explosive Canes.

IMO, huge recruits are kids who are high 4 or 5* kids early in the recruiting process, and stay there. Those are the kids who get hotly recruited for the most part, and not coincidentally the ones we struggle to sign. Plenty of kids are late risers or fall away. If a kid is a late riser, it’s more likely the school or schools that got on him early can hold onto him. Kids who start hot them slip include the kids who this board later claims had Alabama ‘offers’ because they said so at one point in their recruitment, but they generally end up going to less acclaimed schools.

Y'all saying our speed is fine...
That's all it is. "Fine"

We don't have SPEED SPEED.
We get more press-man coverage NOW than we ever did. Nobody is scared of us right now. We haven't had a legit return man since maybe Travis Benjamin.

Just to put things in perspective...
Travis ran a 4.3 at the combine and Miller (4.40), Streeter (4.40) and DVD (4.28) were also on that team if I remember correctly.
And Colin McCarthy (4.6) would smoke Quarterman and Pinkney.

Not sure if this is directed at me. But I'll take a crack at it.

Specifically speaking about WR, I think our speed is good enough to win against everyone we play, and think the reason we saw so much press-man in 2019 was more scheme/OL/QB related than WR speed related. Our current WRs are going to prove to be plenty fast in the Lashlee King offense. ... But even at WR, yes, I totally agree we should take a burner every year. That said, I personally would be willing to trade off a little speed to get an Atwell or Brown over a Olympic candidate like Schwartz and Alexis.

Regarding the case for speed across all position groups, I 100% agree with you. I just think our speed problems are more pronounced at other positions than WR. Our two starting LBs were pedestrian speedwise, Pinckney was even slower than Shaq. Safety was a huge problem with Robert Knowles taking over from Redwine who had a 4.44 40 and 4.14 shuttle at the combine. We used to have some of the fastest CBs in footbally, and we're only adequate there now. So, as Kyle said earlier, the back 7 is where I'm most concerned with speed. .... The other place we are slow, slow, slow is the OL. Obviously, 40 times don't matter there. But our 2019 guys had zero burst out of their stances. And QB. DEs routinely chased down Williams and Perry.

Not sure if this is directed at me. But I'll take a crack at it.

Specifically speaking about WR, I think our speed is good enough to win against everyone we play, and think the reason we saw so much press-man in 2019 was more scheme/OL/QB related than WR speed related. Our current WRs are going to prove to be plenty fast in the Lashlee King offense. ... But even at WR, yes, I totally agree we should take a burner every year. That said, I personally would be willing to trade off a little speed to get an Atwell or Brown over a Olympic candidate like Schwartz and Alexis.

Regarding the case for speed across all position groups, I 100% agree with you. I just think our speed problems are more pronounced at other positions than WR. Our two starting LBs were pedestrian speedwise, Pinckney was even slower than Shaq. Safety was a huge problem with Robert Knowles taking over from Redwine who had a 4.44 40 and 4.14 shuttle at the combine. We used to have some of the fastest CBs in footbally, and we're only adequate there now. So, as Kyle said earlier, the back 7 is where I'm most concerned with speed. .... The other place we are slow, slow, slow is the OL. Obviously, 40 times don't matter there. But our 2019 guys had zero burst out of their stances. And QB. DEs routinely chased down Williams and Perry.

No it wasn't directed at you. But I do agree that we're fast enough to make plays in a wide open offense.

We just don't scare anyone right, I guess that's my main point. For yearrrrrs we've always had scary speed. Even when our team was bad under Shannon we still had fast kids.

Advertisement
A few years ago, @Coach Macho and I had a conversation about speed. I said if kids are going to the combine and they haven’t improved their speed over their high school years, then take a look at the S&C program, there might be a problem. Last year @apfenny3 , myself and a few others had raised eyebrows about what we considered an excessive amount of 300’s (or whatever they were). If you’re looking for speed … you might never do a workout like that. Ever.

there was also a debate on these boards on the effectiveness of deadlifts. The “deadlifts“ people outnumbered the “forget Deadlifts“ people, who argued “Olympic lifts” and squats + plyometrics, almost to the exclusion of all else.

yes, Miami has to recruit better but Miami also has to develop better. and the weight room numbers don’t impress. At all. It’s a sport of strength and collisions but athletes in other sports are outperforming Miami’s athletes in similar lifts/performances.

here’s A 6’5”, 270lb man running the equivalent of a “combine 4.5x” 40. I’ll bet he doesn’t deadlift or does so little to be inconsequential.

here’s Reese Hoffa running 1.68 at 320lbs

a big deal was made of Saquon Barkley power cleaning 425, here’s an avg British sprinter FRONT squatting that

it’s not just the fast kids, where are the strong kids? Explosive kids? Most would expect football players to be stronger than top track athletes … but not at Miami, unfortunately.

Iowa, Wisconsin, Stanford… routinely trains 2* and 3* athletes, yet Miami cant train up 3*, 4* and 5stars?

im not saying you can train/teach what Schwartz has, but there’s no reason that 3-4 years of S&C shouldn’t yield better combine results … faster, stronget, more explosive Canes.

I don't remember the details but I think my stand was that YOU RECRUIT SPEED not develop it.
(I believe it can be improved on though, obviously)

Yes, though Schwartz wasn't coming here so staff moved on relatively early. We recruited Thornton until the end. He chose Baylor over us. Them not coming here was not a result of lack of recruiting, moreso lack of production, but OP's point remains.

The problem fixes itself by winning some games and proper utilization of what we have. We have to be able to walk into living rooms of these kids a year from now and point to production on the field from guys on the roster and say come be our next James Proche and catch 9 balls a game. That's all most of these kids need to see and hear to start begging to play for us. Promise it won't take long to fix if Lashlee can replicate what he did at SMU.

I don't remember it quite like that. I could be wrong but if you go back and read the Schwartz threads he was basically begging us near the end. We just stopped because we thought he was a one trick pony with the speed.

The 2018 WR class leaves a lot to be desired, in retrospect. There is still hope for Mark Pope in the new offense, and Dee Wiggins showed flashes. But it didn't work out with Brian Hightower and Marquez Ezzard.

What hurts is that 2018 was the most explosive group of WRs in South Florida, and we don't have enough to show for it. Specifically, two of the best track athletes in the state (Anthony Schwartz and Tyquan Thornton) and the best overall tester at the Opening (TuTu Atwell) were allowed to leave town. None of the three were huge recruits. Now, they all look like gamebreakers in college.

We need to do a better job of making sure that the most explosive players stay home. Baylor under Matt Rhule was not a high-profile program, but they recruited speed and put a ton of stock into track times and verified testing. We need to have a similar focus if we want to be a faster team.

I think you make a great point, speed is key, but I think you also have to put some stock in the offensive system differences that contribute to this as well. I think a better system will help some of our current players look like game breakers as well.

Advertisement
Who are our fastest kids in the roster right now?
Harley, Pope, And the San Diego kid that was murking people at green tree during spring ball?

Who are our fastest kids in the roster right now?
Harley, Pope, And the San Diego kid that was murking people at green tree during spring ball?
On offense we don’t have burners at WR, but overall you have some fast kids. Both Restrepo and Redding are in the low to mid 4.5 range, which is absolutely fine. I think Wiggins is in that range, or maybe high 4.4s. Knighton, who I would love to see in the slot now and then, was timed in the high 4.4s as well. More than enough speed to run the Coastal.

The 2018 WR class leaves a lot to be desired, in retrospect. There is still hope for Mark Pope in the new offense, and Dee Wiggins showed flashes. But it didn't work out with Brian Hightower and Marquez Ezzard.

What hurts is that 2018 was the most explosive group of WRs in South Florida, and we don't have enough to show for it. Specifically, two of the best track athletes in the state (Anthony Schwartz and Tyquan Thornton) and the best overall tester at the Opening (TuTu Atwell) were allowed to leave town. None of the three were huge recruits. Now, they all look like gamebreakers in college.

We need to do a better job of making sure that the most explosive players stay home. Baylor under Matt Rhule was not a high-profile program, but they recruited speed and put a ton of stock into track times and verified testing. We need to have a similar focus if we want to be a faster team.

The thing that sticks out the most to me, neither one of these teams had really good OLine blocking looks like the QBs had to make defenders miss on majority of the throws BUT these 3 WRs could've definitely blow the tops off the teams in the ACC....

If Lashlee and King can bring this passing game back, I really believe MIAMI has WRs in place that can do some special things after the catch.. We just need to get the ball in their hands..

Advertisement
No one can bring the speed Schwartz would've brought BUT Harley can be our Tutu and Wiggins can be our Thornton... I honestly think MIAMI has a nice WR group in place across the board, King just has to be able to get them the ball. I really like what MIAMI has at the skill positions on offense, the only question mark is "how will the OLINE hold up" if we can find a solution for that THIS offense could be fun to watch!!

Wiggins can run...Pope supposedly can...Harley has some speed, I agree with macho though it doesn't always translate and the kid isn't smooth or shifty at all.

You don’t recruit speed. You recruit an athlete. Why? Because a kid who ran 4.7 but had a 4.02 shuttle and a 36’ vert is going to get faster as they get stronger. Speed is great but speed doesn’t mean you’re an athlete. Plenty of dudes have straight line but can’t cut or stop and accelerate. You see it all the time. Stop worrying about straight line speed. Worry about getting an athlete because those kids are going to be football fast and that’s all that matters.

Advertisement
Back