Don't expect

But what happens if we miss out on Sony too?!?

Life goes on. They aren't the only running backs in the country.

/will probably cry though

LMAO...me too my man... me too! I was actually posing an hypothetical that if we miss on Sony and Cook, who would be the next back besides Yearby that we could go after. Anyone know who else we are pursuing?

Advertisement
Cowboy's could've thrown Al Del Greco back there behind Williams, Tuinei, Stepnoski, Newton, and Allen. We'll have that sort of 'problem' at this rate with our oline recruiting.

My main concern is just getting someone to complement Yearby due to the tread on the tires already (as compared to Cook & Sony). If it's Michel*, that is flat awesome and unbelievable. If it ain't, next man up.

Last edited:
But what happens if we miss out on Sony too?!?

Life goes on. They aren't the only running backs in the country.

/will probably cry though

LMAO...me too my man... me too! I was actually posing an hypothetical that if we miss on Sony and Cook, who would be the next back besides Yearby that we could go after. Anyone know who else we are pursuing?

I gotta be real, when Cook committed to Clemson, I wrote him off. I didn't think he would end up there, but that's just not a situation where guys end up here.

I think with late additions like Corn Elder and Gus, you never know where we might scour some talent from.

Advertisement
Kn[]_[]ckles3o5;1480696 said:
I said it above I'm thinking that Cook will be a defensive prospect with occasional offensive touches if he comes to Miami. If he wants to be solely a RB and we take Yearby and land Michel in a couple weeks then there's not a lot of hope for him being a Cane.

What????? So hypothetically speaking, if Miami were to land Sony and Yearby then iyo Cook has to come in to play defense. Why is that? Why can't he come in as a RB and beat Yearby and Sony and put bought of them on the bench. Smh crowning kids without them proving anything is part of the reason Miami got so bad under the previous two coaching staffs. **** if we had a shot at bringing in Fournette, Cook, Sony, and Yearby I would be 1000% in favor of them all getting in the backfield and sorting it out the way championship teams do.

I said it above I'm thinking that Cook will be a defensive prospect with occasional offensive touches if he comes to Miami. If he wants to be solely a RB and we take Yearby and land Michel in a couple weeks then there's not a lot of hope for him being a Cane.

What????? So hypothetically speaking, if Miami were to land Sony and Yearby then iyo Cook has to come in to play defense. Why is that? Why can't he come in as a RB and beat Yearby and Sony and put bought of them on the bench. Smh crowning kids without them proving anything is part of the reason Miami got so bad under the previous two coaching staffs. **** if we had a shot at bringing in Fournette, Cook, Sony, and Yearby I would be 1000% in favor of them all getting in the backfield and sorting it out the way championship teams do.

You're misunderstanding what I mean. He knows there are only so many touches to go around and if we have Sony and Yearby in the backfield he knows that he's not that much better than them for those guys to be left wanting touches. If we recruit him as just a back, he ain't coming. Even if he was the lead dog he'd probably only touch the ball 15 times a game. On defense he could play every snap and have a bigger impact. It's not about saying he can only do this or that, it's about optimizing his potential to impact the game. If Miami lands Sony and Yearby and Cook wants to come here he will have the most impact playing on both sides of the ball with an emphasis on defense. If he shows up and is head and shoulders the best back then that's not a problem for him or Miami. Yearby or Michel would transfer out in that case though, once again as fans we wouldn't care at that point. Let's not act like snaps at RB are solely based on running ability. To be the "best" back in the stable Cook will have to block and catch also. I'm just in love with the idea of Cook being a defensive gamebreaker and getting touches on offense and if I was recruiting him here that would be something I would discuss with him if he was worried about getting touches in our stacked backfield.

another selling point RB's have short NFL careers and typically get only one big contract, game breaking DB's typically play long enough to get two.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Kn[]_[]ckles3o5;1480820 said:

You're misunderstanding what I mean. He knows there are only so many touches to go around and if we have Sony and Yearby in the backfield he knows that he's not that much better than them for those guys to be left wanting touches. If we recruit him as just a back, he ain't coming. Even if he was the lead dog he'd probably only touch the ball 15 times a game. On defense he could play every snap and have a bigger impact. It's not about saying he can only do this or that, it's about optimizing his potential to impact the game. If Miami lands Sony and Yearby and Cook wants to come here he will have the most impact playing on both sides of the ball with an emphasis on defense. If he shows up and is head and shoulders the best back then that's not a problem for him or Miami. Yearby or Michel would transfer out in that case though, once again as fans we wouldn't care at that point. Let's not act like snaps at RB are solely based on running ability. To be the "best" back in the stable Cook will have to block and catch also. I'm just in love with the idea of Cook being a defensive gamebreaker and getting touches on offense and if I was recruiting him here that would be something I would discuss with him if he was worried about getting touches in our stacked backfield.

another selling point RB's have short NFL careers and typically get only one big contract, game breaking DB's typically play long enough to get two.
You are in love with Cook playing defense and being a back up RB no way in **** Cook is in love with that idea. It is not about you it is about what Cook wants to do. Cook is not some kid begging to play at Miami. He can play RB at any school in the country.

You are in love with Cook playing defense and being a back up RB no way in **** Cook is in love with that idea. It is not about you it is about what Cook wants to do. Cook is not some kid begging to play at Miami. He can play RB at any school in the country.

More like a starting Corner, 3rd down back, and return man while giving him the opportunity to earn a spot as a starting back. But selling him on the idea that it's in his best interest to play defense early and get on the field. Your boy Purifoy is a good example of the transition he could make if he's the goods on offense.

Last edited:
Kn[]_[]ckles3o5;1480828 said:
More like a starting Corner, 3rd down back, and return man while giving him the opportunity to earn a spot as a starting back. But selling him on the idea that it's in his best interest to play defense early and get on the field. Your boy Purifoy is a good example of the transition he could make if he's the goods on offense.

He did that **** in high school he is not going to go through that in college again when he doesn't have to. I guess you could try but that isnt going to work when others are telling him that he is there number 1 guy and they are going to use him on offense and the return game.

I hope Cook rots in **** in Gainesville but I would take him over Taylor at RB all day long. Cook has a chance to be uber special (unfortunately)

Advertisement

Why would he know there are only so many touches to go around. The kid already thinks he's better than both of them. so if all three came to Miami it would be because each one thought they were better than the others. Kid is a RB and wants to be a RB, just because he's a really good athlete and plays defense to help out his HS team doesn't mean he's looking at college thinking if I can't play RB I can switch to DB. It's not like UF (if he signs there) won't have talented backs he has to compete with for carries also (including the arguably the top back in 2012 regardless of what we think about Taylor). At the end of the day in this hypothetical world if the gap between Cook and Sony/Joe was smaller than Cook and are 2nd/3rd DB then Al and company need to do a better job recruiting DB's because Cook better be the back getting the ball period.

Kn[]_[]ckles3o5;1480828 said:

He did that **** in high school he is not going to go through that in college again when he doesn't have to. I guess you could try but that isnt going to work when others are telling him that he is there number 1 guy and they are going to use him on offense and the return game.

This is a one sided discussion. You're trying to argue with me about a random hypothetical that I came up with assuming that Miami lands both Yearby and Sony and Cook wants to look at Miami after we paste your ***** asses in September. I think Dalvin, or any athlete capable of it, is better served to be the next Heisman winning triple threat than just a RB. I don't think Miami should tell him you can't be the #1 but, we might have a better chance at landing him if we can sell him on the triple threat idea. I also think his career will be more memorable and lucrative if he is able to go that route.

Advertisement
Back