D'Onofrio was much more aggressive today

Bomb is right. Not sure what anyone saw out of the D that makes them think we can contend for ACC.

The walkon was our best player not named Eddie Johnson.

People keep saying this, yet here we are.

Giving up 40 points a game with 4 wins against 4 bad teams and having gotten hammered vs. the only good team we've played. I have seen nothing to give me hope against the FSU's, ND's, or VT's of the world, but the good thing is, we don't need to argue it out. We will know in a week and 4 hours or so!

Advertisement
Too many big plays allowed, but you'd have to be blind or just ****ing ignorant to not see at least a modicum of improvement.

This game should have been over midway through the 2nd quarter. But here we are 3-0 in the ACC and some are still questioning whether we can compete?!? WTF?

God **** this fan base is full of a bunch of whiny, miserable ****s!!

Exactly. We've got a genius on this thread predicting 7-5 and saying he'd be happy with going 3-4 after this start. WTF??? We go 3-4 to close the season and Golden should be fired.

That "genius" is at least smart enough to look at the schedule before he posts. I can see you decided not to. Beating the NCST's and GT's of the world in overtime while giving up 40 points a game does not bode well for us against the ranked teams ahead of us. I am also concerned with depth as we get further into the season, but that's another conversation.

We got 6 turnovers (mostly gifted), ncst had 11 penalties, and we still gave up 40. Not pretty.

Just a terrible post on so many levels.

Feel free to expand on your complex theorem.

Maybe you should.

I watched the game and am very curious how you can call 6 TO's mostly gifted.

Ah, is that what we're talking about? Ok. I have to re-watch it, as I can't remember them all right now to be honest, but a couple were really bad gifts.

Like the one at the end of the game where the WR broke off the route and Finnie picked it off without a single NCST player within 20 yards of him. Or when they hiked it into the endzone for a safety. I remember a soft fumble or two too that I'd be livid about if I were an NCST fan. if I get a chance to re-watch I'll add more specifics. I know every teams fans always think its all about their team, but if I am an NCST fan I'm throwing rocks at the team bus in Raleigh tonight.

Anyway, as for the other 67% of my post (since he said "so many levels"), yes, they had 11 penalties to the tune of almost 100 yards. Agree?

And yes, our defense gave up 40 points (maintaining our 40 point average against D1 teams this year, btw). Agree?

I agree with your overall point and the whole "gifted" thing is just message board fodder I am sure (both ways).

There were obviously some gifts like you mentioned and then there were just some great plays by us.

Either way, if we were an NC St board this place would be locked down right now, especially after that last play where the DB literally watched Dorsett go right into the end zone.

For as many chances as we messed up, they were worse.

Thats why this is just one of those games where you just have to be happy you came out on top and cant get too detail oriented about it.

I heard someone today say they grade D'Ono an "F" and Fisch, based on his numbers, an A-.

I'd grade them C and B-. I think it's a lot closer because Fisch has some horses and has had some nice opportunities. We're asking D'ono to make chicken salad out of chicken ****. He can do better, but he starts from a disadvantage.

I give coach D a better grade for the very reasons you mentioned.

Advertisement
Bomb is right. Not sure what anyone saw out of the D that makes them think we can contend for ACC.

Giving up 40 points a game with 4 wins against 4 bad teams and having gotten hammered vs. the only good team we've played. I have seen nothing to give me hope against the FSU's, ND's, or VT's of the world, but the good thing is, we don't need to argue it out. We will know in a week and 4 hours or so!

Whoa whoa who, you must mean a different VT. I totally agree about being very far away from being a top level team but this conference, especially our division, is an absolute dumpster fire, including VT.

Just a terrible post on so many levels.

Feel free to expand on your complex theorem.

Maybe you should.

I watched the game and am very curious how you can call 6 TO's mostly gifted.

Ah, is that what we're talking about? Ok. I have to re-watch it, as I can't remember them all right now to be honest, but a couple were really bad gifts.

Like the one at the end of the game where the WR broke off the route and Finnie picked it off without a single NCST player within 20 yards of him. Or when they hiked it into the endzone for a safety. I remember a soft fumble or two too that I'd be livid about if I were an NCST fan. if I get a chance to re-watch I'll add more specifics. I know every teams fans always think its all about their team, but if I am an NCST fan I'm throwing rocks at the team bus in Raleigh tonight.

Anyway, as for the other 67% of my post (since he said "so many levels"), yes, they had 11 penalties to the tune of almost 100 yards. Agree?

And yes, our defense gave up 40 points (maintaining our 40 point average against D1 teams this year, btw). Agree?

I agree with your overall point and the whole "gifted" thing is just message board fodder I am sure (both ways).

There were obviously some gifts like you mentioned and then there were just some great plays by us.

Either way, if we were an NC St board this place would be locked down right now, especially after that last play where the DB literally watched Dorsett go right into the end zone.

For as many chances as we messed up, they were worse.

Thats why this is just one of those games where you just have to be happy you came out on top and cant get too detail oriented about it.

Dude, I am! As I have said since pre-season, my win/loss goal this year is to be able to sacrifice the bowl to the NCAA. Anything better than that is gravy. This staff deserves to get their own kids into the upper classes with what they were left.

Whoa whoa who, you must mean a different VT. I totally agree about being very far away from being a top level team but this conference, especially our division, is an absolute dumpster fire, including VT.

I am wary of them. I've just been around too long. We will see though. As for FSU and ND... well... lets just play the games. I hope they aren't ugly.

Take a deeper dive and think about what a mobile QB can do to this defense.

Too many big plays allowed, but you'd have to be blind or just ****ing ignorant to not see at least a modicum of improvement.

This game should have been over midway through the 2nd quarter. But here we are 3-0 in the ACC and some are still questioning whether we can compete?!? WTF?

God **** this fan base is full of a bunch of whiny, miserable ****s!!

Exactly. We've got a genius on this thread predicting 7-5 and saying he'd be happy with going 3-4 after this start. WTF??? We go 3-4 to close the season and Golden should be fired.

That "genius" is at least smart enough to look at the schedule before he posts. I can see you decided not to. Beating the NCST's and GT's of the world in overtime while giving up 40 points a game does not bode well for us against the ranked teams ahead of us. I am also concerned with depth as we get further into the season, but that's another conversation.

lol. Schedule? WTF?? Virginia just lost to LaTech and is 2-3. We have Puke left. We have VT who just lost to Cinci and lost to Pitt at home. We have UNC and USF at home. The only ranked teams we have are FSU at home and ND. We lose 4 of these games and we should just hand Golden a pink slip. lol.

Advertisement

I am wary of them. I've just been around too long. We will see though. As for FSU and ND... well... lets just play the games. I hope they aren't ugly.

Take a deeper dive and think about what a mobile QB can do to this defense.

LOL I just mentioned in the other thread that Logan Thomas is going to shred us. He definitely will.

Fortunately we have shown we can still win even when getting shredded. We still have a couple of these games left in us, no doubt.

I just think our LBs need to learn how to look into a qbs eyes before running out of their zones. That one td where we dropped 8 into zone, 44 runs out of his zone for no apparent reason opens a lane and the qb throws it right where he should have been. VT as usual gets burned for a TD. I just wanna see guys like Vt off the field, he and 22 always seem to be around the end zone when other teams are making big plays. At least they have a great view! I wanna see a steady dose of Bush, Highsmith, and Jenkins as soon as we are bowl eligible! I also think we get a lot better when DP gets back. Hopefully it will be this week. We also have to remember when these teams have to play from behind they will always get inflated offensive numbers due to their play calling. Hopefully we can get up early on ND this week. I am not sold on them at all!
Go CANES!!!!

I was actually going to start a thread on us not getting too high right now, because all we have proven is that we can barely beat bad teams right now. The future might be bright, but this season can still be a long one.

Advertisement
Back to the OP....I know this is a controversial statement, but you can make an argument that D'Onofrio has done as good or a better job than Fisch. Fisch has a seasoned OL. a junior QB with talent, MJ and the Duke, and a stable of receivers.

That type of talent and experience doesnt exist yet on the defensive side of the ball, plus we are missing how many potential starters, 5 or 6? In addition to the kids that left early but shouldnt have, you have injuries to Porter, Buchanon, DP, Kirby, VT, and RRA being kicked off the team. Take that many starters out of the offense and see how they do.

So people are cool with giving up 600 yards of offense and 37 points so long as we're "aggressive"?

LOL at least you guys are consistent.

We. Do. Not. Have. The. Horses.
if we're going to give up the 600+ and 37 anyways ..i prefer that we're aggressive, which can cause turnovers, over playing soft and taking it.

So people are cool with giving up 600 yards of offense and 37 points so long as we're "aggressive"?

if we're going to give up the 600+ and 37 anyways ..i prefer that we're aggressive, which can cause turnovers, over playing soft and taking it.

How did being "aggressive" force any turnovers?

Outside of the Eddie Johnson sack, our "aggressiveness" didn't force anything. Guys just ripped the ball out, which has nothing to do with playcalling.

Advertisement
Our DL is basically the Bodies exhibit. All they do is occupy space.

If we get some legit DL to go with our LB corps and young DB's, we can start making our way back.

+1000, we are getting absolutely nothing from our DL, particularly our DTs. I can't remember more than 1 or 2 plays our DTs have made all season. We have got to find somebody that can make an impact at that position

Hey guys first post, glad to be on the board. I normally just read the board though. I think it is funny how before we play a team they are good but after we beat them they are bad lol. Someone posted that most our wins will be ugly and Golden said it in the post game presser that he's accepted that this is who we are this season as a team and I agree this year is about learning and getting the W any way possible. We are not ready for style points yet. ND can beat us obviously but who the **** have they played! We will be the best offense they have played to this point.

How did being "aggressive" force any turnovers?

Outside of the Eddie Johnson sack, our "aggressiveness" didn't force anything. Guys just ripped the ball out, which has nothing to do with playcalling.

you said it right there.. our aggressiveness forced that fumble.. but that's only one part of being aggressive.. hurried throws, throw aways etc.. that's all part of it. If we expect a fumble or a pick every time we're aggressive we're going to be severely disappointed..

And for the most part.. i think our guys have held up pretty well in man, especially down field. We need to improve on finding the ball and making a play on it. But that shouldn't deter D'Onof from taking those chances.

Advertisement
Back