Don Chaney = Frank Gore

filmcane

Redshirt Freshman
Premium
Just watched the footage from the Army game and his running style, the forward lean, the cuts, etc, totally look like Frank Gore. I knew he was good based on whatever one was saying, but dang, that kid, if he stays healthy, is gonna be a problem for people.

Advertisement
Advertisement
No one, and I mean no one I've ever seen could accelerate faster than Gore pre-ACLs. For those of us that remember him at CG High and his freshman season at UM, he was never the same after even the first ACL. And he STILL went on to be a HOF back, who until last weekend was still in the league. Amazing, but he actually could have been even more.

Chaney looks good but it's not a fair comparison. Not even close.

He’s an incredibly hard worker and tireless team player. I’m more excited for his attitude and work ethic to be on campus, than I am his skill set for next season. We haven’t had a similar personality on campus since Duke. Jaquan Johnson as a leader was elite and I’d be remiss if I didn’t mention him. I’m not sure if Don has those leader of men qualities, but as a selfless team leader, we have no one currently that compares to him. Talent wise, he has the ability to live up to the number 39th ranked player overall and top 3 RB nationally. If he does that, I think we’ll all be thrilled. I believe he will with ease. I’m not counting on him to contribute much his freshman year. I believe he’ll need one full season on campus to physically develop enough to support his running style at the college level. He’ll need another ten pounds and a college level eating/weight room regime to do that. Eighteen months will allow him to explode on the college scene his sophomore season. Knighton’s size and running style are better suited for year one success. Don is the ten thousand pound gorilla in the corner waiting to go to that “next level” we haven’t seen in quite some time. Dare I say, if everything goes well, he’s nationally discussed as the best back in college football his last season on campus.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Just watched the footage from the Army game and his running style, the forward lean, the cuts, etc, totally look like Frank Gore. I knew he was good based on whatever one was saying, but dang, that kid, if he stays healthy, is gonna be a problem for people.
Idk man..reminds me more of Lingawd...
1578819292832.gif

Too soon?

Blasphemy.

Gore coming out of Gables was a once in a lifetime talent. Chaney is a great prospect, but watching FG live was like nothing I'd ever seen before, or since.

Advertisement
Frank Gore is the comparison I have for his running style. The way Chaney leans forward while cutting through traffic Gore is the only RB that runs like that. Which is why I have him starting as a true freshman.

Advertisement
Frank Gore is the comparison I have for his running style. The way Chaney leans forward while cutting through traffic Gore is the only RB that runs like that. Which is why I have him starting as a true freshman.
That forward lean takes massive upper body strength, to coincide with lower body leverage and power. To be his size and survive the pounding of D1 ball, he’s going to need more size up top. I agree he’ll get playing time, but starting would imply 150/200 carries. I truly hope we don’t kill him before he’s ready for that kind of beating. Just my opinion.

Cam & DJ had 230 combined carries in our slow offense and DJ got hurt.

Last edited:
Nah....Looks way more like Mcgahee...

Advertisement
Back