Don Chaney all the way locked in

Advertisement
ELITE caliber athlete with NFL upside & is one of the top 3 RB's in the nation.

Call me biased all you want, but I'm taking Chaney over Bowman, Knighton, Bijan Robinson & Kendall Milton. Only RB's I think on the same level are Zach Evans & Jase McClellan.

He's got more upside than Lingard coming out HS imo (and I think Lingard will be great once healthy), due to his balance & ability to cut. Lingard has more pure straight line speed, but runs high & isn't as shifty, Chaney is a power to speed combo runner with great field vision.

The trio of Chaney, Lingard & Cam Harris next year will be deadly! I honestly feel between this season & next year our rushing attack is going to return back to the glory days when we used to have the most lethal RB groups in all of college football.

i love don but bowman the best back in the state hands down...

Advertisement
Also remember with Dukes recruitment there was a TON of Florida Smoke coming out before signing day. No it’s smoke from “insiders” but still was smoke. The ONLY RB I remember that was a high star talent and had it shut down was Lamar Miller. Low key everything once committed
Miller was also dealing with shoulder issues if I remember correctly. There were some that questioned whether his shoulders would hold up throughout college.

The Chaney family won’t be influenced by money in this decision. And that’s not to say they are better people than those who take money. Rather, it means Chaney comes from a family that earns enough money that the lure of immediate returns is diminished relative to the lure of long-term returns, notably a professional career and a degree from a well respected university.
This is hard but Miami needs to keep recruiting middle class kids as those families are more stable financially, have less handlers and hangers-on, and make long-terms decisions for college choice. And the reason this is hard is because there are lots of poor kids who are good football players, but those families will always have a hard time turning down money. It’s simple survival. Never expect a starving man, even a vegetarian, to turn down a hamburger. But a well fed man can turn down any food.

He's just a different kid, as many have repeated, including his coaches, over the last couple years. He could've bounced out of Belen multiple times. For anyone who knows anything about the school, it's a relative mission. There aren't really "levels." Its design is basically to weed kids out slowly or swiftly - academically and behaviorally - until all that's left the last year are kids who busted their ***, found short cuts, teamed up with others to get through, or all of the above (usually all of the above). Think about it. If you explicitly choose, or have your father influence you to choose, the more difficult road, it says a **** ton about what your likely future decisions are going to look like.

Who knows what happens over the next 6 months, but I'd be freakin' shocked and it'd certainly have a big back story if this kid did anything but come to whatever school he committed to.

Advertisement
He's just a different kid, as many have repeated, including his coaches, over the last couple years. He could've bounced out of Belen multiple times. For anyone who knows anything about the school, it's a relative mission. There aren't really "levels." Its design is basically to weed kids out slowly or swiftly - academically and behaviorally - until all that's left the last year are kids who busted their ***, found short cuts, teamed up with others to get through, or all of the above (usually all of the above). Think about it. If you explicitly choose, or have your father influence you to choose, the more difficult road, it says a **** ton about what your likely future decisions are going to look like.

Who knows what happens over the next 6 months, but I'd be freakin' shocked and it'd certainly have a big back story if this kid did anything but come to whatever school he committed to.
Would you agree that financial stability provides more room to make these types of decisions? Meaning simply that when you have a roof over your head, responsible parents, and food to eat every night, you have the freedom to make better decisions

Would you agree that financial stability provides more room to make these types of decisions? Meaning simply that when you have a roof over your head, responsible parents, and food to eat every night, you have the freedom to make better decisions
Heavy question since this is one of the areas of my work/research.

Of course it plays a role. It's complicated. I think there are a few kids whose stories of "making business decisions" I know well who really wanted to be Canes. I won't name them for obvious reasons, but also because I encourage indifference to anyone who turns their back on Miami.

It's a lot harder to turn that money down when you don't have money, obv. It's also a lot harder to turn that money down when you're surrounded by people/parents/influencers who don't understand delayed gratification. And, while we can get into a chicken/egg debate about which comes first, there's a correlation between poor decision making (inclusive of being unable to understand delayed gratification) and financial instability.

Now, are there exceptions? Of course. There are plenty of families in financial instability or outright poverty because of a series of wrong turns that led to limited opportunities. In those cases, I'd still trust they'd influence their child (bc that's what these players are) to turn down the bag for some greater purpose.

I'm around 6-18 year old kids almost every day of the regular school year. Even in the summer sometimes. I observe kids from elementary schools all the way to the car wrecks they often turn into by the time they're in HS. As cliche as it is to say, it's plainly obvious most kids are simply products of their environment. Show me a troubled kid with at least one parent or fam member who'll lay down the law in the household and i'll show you a kid with a better chance at getting his or her **** together than the kid with two parents who influence irresponsible decisions.

This is a Don Chaney thread and I don't wanna take it too far into this side topic, so I'll keep it at: I hope we begin earlier to educate kids on responsible decision making and how to recognize and even block **** peer/family influences.

Great article from a uga reporter. This kid is as loyal as they come. We give all these flakes from south Florida all of this attention but we really need to be praising guys like don Chaney an ELITE and best recruit from south Florida and arguably the whole state being this big on the Canes because in recent years it hasn’t happened that often

Is there a sliver of hope there for the Bulldogs? He does not expect to visit any more schools.

“Nah,” he said. “Shut down. Locked. With a hundred locks on there.”

The problem is UGA over the last couple of years has come down here and took a lot of talent from Miami! Theres a since of entitlement with them and that **** needs to stop!

Advertisement
He doesn't say any of that, "I'm currently committed" crap. He doesn't spout ANY of those "I need a bigger bag" catch phrases.

Heavy question since this is one of the areas of my work/research.

Of course it plays a role. It's complicated. I think there are a few kids whose stories of "making business decisions" I know well who really wanted to be Canes. I won't name them for obvious reasons, but also because I encourage indifference to anyone who turns their back on Miami.

It's a lot harder to turn that money down when you don't have money, obv. It's also a lot harder to turn that money down when you're surrounded by people/parents/influencers who don't understand delayed gratification. And, while we can get into a chicken/egg debate about which comes first, there's a correlation between poor decision making (inclusive of being unable to understand delayed gratification) and financial instability.

Now, are there exceptions? Of course. There are plenty of families in financial instability or outright poverty because of a series of wrong turns that led to limited opportunities. In those cases, I'd still trust they'd influence their child (bc that's what these players are) to turn down the bag for some greater purpose.

I'm around 6-18 year old kids almost every day of the regular school year. Even in the summer sometimes. I observe kids from elementary schools all the way to the car wrecks they often turn into by the time they're in HS. As cliche as it is to say, it's plainly obvious most kids are simply products of their environment. Show me a troubled kid with at least one parent or fam member who'll lay down the law in the household and i'll show you a kid with a better chance at getting his or her **** together than the kid with two parents who influence irresponsible decisions.

This is a Don Chaney thread and I don't wanna take it too far into this side topic, so I'll keep it at: I hope we begin earlier to educate kids on responsible decision making and how to recognize and even block **** peer/family influences.
Well put and thank you for educating the youth.

Advertisement

As a Belen grad I agree with this. I wanted to post something as soon as I started reading the thread but I wanted to see if someone posted something in regards to this. Some of you will say I'm a homer and I am but so be it. I'm not going to say that all Belen kids would be this solid to a school, but I will say that its what Belen tries to teach. You're right, there are no levels, no accommodations, you have to find a way to survive. The bombardment of work from all professors is insane. Just today, in Med school, I found out last minute (after I finished my presentation) I had to prepare a quiz for the class as part of my grade for the presentation. I quickly thought of a way out, I told the class to take out a sheet of paper, I invented questions on the fly while staring at my phone to make it seem like I had prepared them beforehand. Totally something I learned at Belen.

This kid embodies, truly, what Belen is at its core. When he "Wasn't solid", he was just taking his time. Kirby, Muschamp, Mullen, Richt, and others were all hitting the halls of Belen going to talk to this kid. That has never happened at Belen. Last guy to be even close was Marshall Thomas who played for Northwestern and my classmate Pablo Alvarez who played for UVA. I knew, from being around the school as an alumni, and my brother graduated last year, that Don was taking his time, being mature, and the day he made his decision, it was going to be solid. This kid will be my favorite Cane come next year, for obvious reasons, and it truly makes me proud as an alumni and Cane fan to see how an athlete of his caliber (SoFla 5 star) handled his recruitment. Definitely need this to become a trend.

Alright I'm done. GO CANES!!

Sounds like a well put in together young man. All the more perfect reason he will excel academically and athletically while at Miami. As a fellow parent I’ve tried to instill the same values in my own children that Don’s father did him. At the end of the day we can only educate and live them as the individuals they are, and pray we did enough that they’ll make their way in the game of life ok. Sounds like Don’s parents did the same thing.

Advertisement
Back