Don Chaney 2020 (video)

I agree - and Miller has more speed than Chaney.

I don't think Miller and Chaney are the same style wise - I'm talking talent level wise.

Miller is the only Miami RB in the last 15 years that became an NFL starting RB. I think Chaney has that Day 2 pick, NFL starter potential.
Miller was one of the fastest CANES ever. But after looking at these times below Chaney is 15 pounds heavier than all of these guys below and still is pretty close in speed. Chaneys best 40 in HS was 4.39 / his best 100m was 10.8

Remember how in awe we were of the speed slender Canes receiver Travis Benjamin showed us this past season? His fastest 100-meter time at Glades Central was 10.72 seconds. Remember little, speedy Sinorce Moss and how he would blow past guys in the secondary? His career best in the 100 meters at Carol City was 10.96. Devin Hester -- the guy with the 100 speed rating in John Madden's video game -- his fastest at Riviera Beach Suncoast was 10.87 seconds. Miller (timed at 4.32 in the 40-yard dash as a junior) has not only run faster than those speedy Canes in the 100 meters, but Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson (10.61) too. The fastest any Hurricane has run in 100-yard dash? Little-used former cornerback Terrell Walden (10.65).

The point is there aren't many guys who have come to UM with that type of long-range speed. Even Sam Shields, who was timed at a UM record 4.2 seconds earlier this week in the 40-yard dash, turned in his fastest 100-meter time of 10.82 seconds at Sarasota Booker.

Advertisement
Miller was one of the fastest CANES ever. But after looking at these times below Chaney is 15 pounds heavier than all of these guys below and still is pretty close in speed. Chaneys best 40 in HS was 4.39 / his best 100m was 10.8

Remember how in awe we were of the speed slender Canes receiver Travis Benjamin showed us this past season? His fastest 100-meter time at Glades Central was 10.72 seconds. Remember little, speedy Sinorce Moss and how he would blow past guys in the secondary? His career best in the 100 meters at Carol City was 10.96. Devin Hester -- the guy with the 100 speed rating in John Madden's video game -- his fastest at Riviera Beach Suncoast was 10.87 seconds. Miller (timed at 4.32 in the 40-yard dash as a junior) has not only run faster than those speedy Canes in the 100 meters, but Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson (10.61) too. The fastest any Hurricane has run in 100-yard dash? Little-used former cornerback Terrell Walden (10.65).

The point is there aren't many guys who have come to UM with that type of long-range speed. Even Sam Shields, who was timed at a UM record 4.2 seconds earlier this week in the 40-yard dash, turned in his fastest 100-meter time of 10.82 seconds at Sarasota Booker.
I'm not trying to undermine Chaney by making Lamar Miller comparisons, or doubt his speed at all. I know Chaney has speed.

What I'm saying is:

1) Miller ran a 4.40 at the NFL combine. I don't think Chaney has that speed. But I think Chaney can probably carry 215-220 lbs, and if he could run say a 4.48 like Travis Homer did - that would be really impressive at that size. Because I don't think Chaney is as fast as Miller doesn't mean I don't think Chaney is fast.

2) Chaney didn't really show "special" speed on any plays this year. Like I said, it looks lik conditioning may have played a factor here. Between being hurt in Spring, Covid, and just a Freshman adjusting to college - we just haven't seen the speed I think Chaney is capable of on the field yet. But when Chaney gets there - watchout.

I'm not trying to undermine Chaney by making Lamar Miller comparisons, or doubt his speed at all. I know Chaney has speed.

What I'm saying is:

1) Miller ran a 4.40 at the NFL combine. I don't think Chaney has that speed. But I think Chaney can probably carry 215-220 lbs, and if he could run say a 4.48 like Travis Homer did - that would be really impressive at that size. Because I don't think Chaney is as fast as Miller doesn't mean I don't think Chaney is fast.

2) Chaney didn't really show "special" speed on any plays this year. Like I said, it looks lik conditioning may have played a factor here. Between being hurt in Spring, Covid, and just a Freshman adjusting to college - we just haven't seen the speed I think Chaney is capable of on the field yet. But when Chaney gets there - watchout.
I would say his shoulder injury could be the sole reason we didn't see that jaw dropping speed out of Chaney this season. The difference between fast and holy **** is very small and can easily be mitigated by even a minor injury.

What I'm saying is:

Chaney reminds me of Tyrone Moss before the injuries.

Advertisement
Chaney reminds me of Tyrone Moss before the injuries.

I think Chaney has a much higher ceiling than Pre-ACL Moss - but I can see the comparison.

Funny thing, Moss was the first RB I used to get CRUSHED about for saying he was just a solid college RB - nothing special.

Moss, Yearby, Walton, Harris - it's always the same argument. These guys are beast RB's & high draft choices, it's just the OL/Play Calling/Coaching that's holding them back. Every time, like clockwork. I'm always like....did you ever consider maybe these guys just aren't that good?

There's always a market correction for these RB's later on - but Dade/Broward RB's will always get an unrealistic benefit of the doubt.

The right comparison for Chaney is McGahee, although it’s unlikely anybody reaches that level.

McGahee redshirted as a freshman and put up 314 yards (4.7 ypc) and 3 TDs the next year. Chaney had 322 yards (4.7 ypc) and 3 TDs as a freshman.

Both guys are size/speed freaks who needed the game to slow down. They aren’t Day 1 naturals like Portis/Gore/Duke but the upside is enormous.

Chaney has way more wiggle than Miller and is much stronger.

But they both have dealt with shoulder problems since HS so I guess they have that in common.
I'm convinced you're related to Chaney.

Let's slow down a little bit.
Lamar Miller was a 215lb RB that ran a 4.40 forty at the NFL combine.
He was also All ACC in track.

You're talkin' about a guy that went 97 yards TWICE in the NFL.

You love to list off track times. That **** don't always show on the field. If it did, then Lingard wouldn't be a bench warmer.

Chaney's LASER forty is in the mid 4.5's, he's not a 4.39 kid. You're referencing hand-timed forties.
The fastest players on the team are Wiggins, Knighton and Harley.
ON THE FOOTBALL FIELD. Save the track times.

You keep talking about 100 meter times. Football isn't played in 100 meter bursts. That's why they time forties instead.
Like you really gonna sit here and imply that Chaney is as fast as Hester or Benjamin? LOL man c'mon.

Advertisement
For those fools with short memories that like to talk ****. Here's what our last great back looked like as a TF. I think what Chaney lacks in short area burst and long speed he can make up for in strength and toughness. Duke was bad though and doesn't get enough credit for how good he was right out the gate.

Back when we had legit NFL talent on offense.

Hurns
Dorsett
Duke
Linder
Feliciano

Pretty sure I'm forgetting some guys too.

The right comparison for Chaney is McGahee, although it’s unlikely anybody reaches that level.

McGahee redshirted as a freshman and put up 314 yards (4.7 ypc) and 3 TDs the next year. Chaney had 322 yards (4.7 ypc) and 3 TDs as a freshman.

Both guys are size/speed freaks who needed the game to slow down. They aren’t Day 1 naturals like Portis/Gore/Duke but the upside is enormous.

I think making McGahee comparisons is way too much to expect out of Chaney.

McGahee tore his ACL his Senior Year, and that was 20 years ago - so that contributed to his slow start. But McGahee was faster and bigger, around 225-230. I don't think Chaney has that size/speed/talent potential.

I think your comparison of Chaney to Kenyan Drake at the start of last year is more accurate.

For those fools with short memories that like to talk ****. Here's what our last great back looked like as a TF. I think what Chaney lacks in short area burst and long speed he can make up for in strength and toughness. Duke was bad though and doesn't get enough credit for how good he was right out the gate.

Beast. He was ripping off long runs from game one

I think making McGahee comparisons is way too much to expect out of Chaney.
I don't think he will reach McGahee's level. That's rare stuff. I just think that's the closest comp of the UM backs.

It wasn't anything physical that held McGahee back early in his career. He was just thinking too much and wasn't as natural as Portis and Gore. Once the game slowed down, he was unstoppable. I think Chaney is dealing with similar issues now.

Advertisement

And to back this up, in the words of a guy who knew a thing or two about UM runningbacks, the look on his face that whole game, an afterwards, he came to this conclusion:

Bro we’re so in the now & forget about the past. Duke’s first carry was a 50 yrd house call. Lol. Cheney showed flashes, but Duke was thee truth & he started off as the truth immediately. Chaney has a chance to be an all timer. Very interested to see both he & Rooster’s maturation next season

Bro we’re so in the now & forget about the past. Duke’s first carry was a 50 yrd house call. Lol. Cheney showed flashes, but Duke was thee truth & he started off as the truth immediately. Chaney has a chance to be an all timer. Very interested to see both he & Rooster’s maturation next season
It aint so much about the past as calling a spade a spade. When yall tell me look at this frosh RB I immediately pull up two tapes. Duke and Frank. Then after comparing I set my hype meter. If Duke and Frank are 10s then The Don is a 7-8 based solely on his tape and not his upside. Give him a lil cred if that shoulder was as bad as it looked at times but I care about whats on tape.

Advertisement
I don't think he will reach McGahee's level. That's rare stuff. I just think that's the closest comp of the UM backs.

It wasn't anything physical that held McGahee back early in his career. He was just thinking too much and wasn't as natural as Portis and Gore. Once the game slowed down, he was unstoppable. I think Chaney is dealing with similar issues now.
I think he looks like post ACL Frank Gore with his footwork and balance in close quarters.

It aint so much about the past as calling a spade a spade. When yall tell me look at this frosh RB I immediately pull up two tapes. Duke and Frank. Then after comparing I set my hype meter. If Duke and Frank are 10s then The Don is a 7-8 based solely on his tape and not his upside. Give him a lil cred if that shoulder was as bad as it looked at times but I care about whats on tape.
100% spot on and I'm a big fan of Chaney, but he ain't Randy "Duke" Johnson or Frank Gore.

Ya boyz wanna hate on Chaney so bad.. If a random read his numerous threads Guys have posted he is soft, slow, no wiggle, not natural, no vision, etc..

LMAOOOO..

Im gonna watch that boy BALLLL and while ya stay with the sour face

I agree, but disagree that ppl r not in the “now”, in general. I can’t tell u how often I hear ppl, whether it be fans or in the media saying “we’ve never seen such & such before”, only to pull up a YouTube or a classic to show not only have we seen it before, but it may have been even more spectacular in the past. I was speaking more on generalities. Duke was an absolute monster as a true frosh.

Advertisement
Back