Does UM has a S&C problem?

Advertisement
I agree with this. It’s the easiest way to go and your left with the best possible scenario.
But look at what pedo state did with Barkley.
He went in at 5’11 190 and left weighing 234.
That’s 44 lbs of muscle and he ran a 4.4 at the combine with a vertical of 41 inches.
That is just freaking insane imo.
Yes we are doing a good job but we need to get better and get better at everything.
Know yes Barkley is an exceptionally gifted athlete and those results are difficult to duplicate.
But plenty of gifted athletes have passed through green tree.
I really ant to see what Chaney looks like next year. To me what I’ve seen form just his raw athleticism is very impressive.
mid feeley is really as good as everyone is clamoring then the Don is gonna make millions.
Barkley again is a different individual..kids who do that and can carry that muscle mass while being that explosive are freaks bro. U could say the same for a guy like Aaron Donald whose weight room stories were legendary at Pitt as they are today. Now when we see the jump a kid like James Williams, Redding , don, Roberts make after months in the S&C will these questions be asked?..yes because it’s CIS

I don’t think Carter getting trucked has to do with his squat, press or power clean. Matter of fact I know it has nothing to do with that. That was a player, flat footed with poor leverage and he paid for it. U look at what UNC did to us in the run game it had more to do with our edge players being out of position. Basically they schemed up perfectly. A lot of times it don’t matter what u lift if your technique and leverage is off you get got at this level
I definitely agree with that, I think our biggest issue is coaching, we are constantly out of position, our tackling technique is bad and like I said, as far as the eye test goes we just don't look big or physical, but to be honest I don't know if it's our S&C program or just the players we recruit.

You too, but no idea what you're disagreeing with here.

Do we have a S&C issue? SUre, we gots lots of issues. The question is what's the root cause of the issue. If it's culture, then the solution isn't necessarily 'need new S&C coach' - that would be treating a symptom.

People say we have an S&C issue but what they mean isn't that our S&C program itself is failing to deliver - it might be, but that would take a lot of insight knowledge to really know. What they mean is that we appear to be less strong and deep as top teams.

I think one issue that's been glaring for us for years that we got to get ahead of, culture aside, is we have to get ourselves to aplace where our top frosh red**** or play depth unless they earn time the hard way. we need top kids to be showing out their RS Soph year, hopefully returning for Jr. year. Greg Rousseau ends up playing like 70% of one season and is done. Rosters require depth, experience, maturity, talent, balance, all to go with hunger and teamwork culture.

no judgment on any kid who decides to leave early, but we've got to get past that to thepoint were we have enough talented seniorss returning.
I was not arguing. I agree the culture is the problem. I was replying to the thread asking if there was a problem with the S&C program, with my response from the perspective of infrastructure, funding. I don’t believe there is, given the size of the school. Miami will never have facilities like Alabama, Ohio State, or Clemson. Nor are they needed. A slip-and-slide didn’t help Clemson win two NCs, nor were they missing some toy that caused them to lose to LSU or Ohio State the past two seasons.

I am hoping the return of D’Eric King, Cam Harris, and hopefully Brevin Jordan and Bubba Bolden start a trend in keeping at least some draft eligible starters. I don’t blame anyone leaving if the NFL tells them they are a first or second round pick but Miami has been crippled the past decade or more by losing late round picks and UFAs.

We’ll see if this improves the culture of hunger and teamwork.

ray lewis wrestled 183 in HS. He came here light, and made an immediate impact. He also put on good weight and left a legend.

highlights all of the issues. caliber of athlete to start, dedication to do the work, didn’t need Alabama’s nutrition program to become the GOAT, but played on teams with dwindling talent and they didn’t get the results he did. But - from folks who were at UM when Lewis was - ray lived in the weight room. culture is huge but some kids won’t let anything hold them back. those kids have greatness inside.
The GREAT Miami players weren't just trying to get to the league. They had the desire to be great. Ray, Sean Taylor, Ed Reed, etc weren't just trying to get to the league. They would've given anything to be bigger, stronger, and faster then everybody else in the world. They were constantly trying to find ways to get the advantage. Our guys don't seem to have that type of desire. Gotta find kids who do.

Advertisement
Unless S&C are the reason Pope and Wiggins dropped so many balls this year, or the reason why our DBs are always out of position blowing coverages, or the reason we led the league in muffed punts, then no, I don't think we have an S&C problem.

Unless S&C are the reason Pope and Wiggins dropped so many balls this year, or the reason why our DBs are always out of position blowing coverages, or the reason we led the league in muffed punts, then no, I don't think we have an S&C problem.
just to be clear, it’s possible for two things to be broke at once. your logic doesn’t hold up.

Oh cool, it had been 3 days since someone posted their concerns about S&C. I was starting to get worried.

we have lacked explosive strength on LOS since B.Davis S&C guy Moffett. left for LSU, every time we play a top 10-15 team
we get smoked up front Whisky(2), Clemson (2) NC all they ran was power R Power L
Bama will dominate us on both sides of the ball. we are missing something and it shows.
for all who doubt top teams are using special sauce, take a look next year how we look physically compared to Bama
Men against Boys.....Feeley could put a program together if somebody CMD ? would say why is tis happening and how do we fix it
BTW expand your recruiting base to Mid west for Olineman,,,,,

Advertisement
And one thing Richt accomplished was improved training table facilities. On staff nutrition team, etc. IIRC.

Richt’s S&C coach was pretty atrocious. He was less atrocious than Swasey, but my dog would be a less atrocious S&C coach than Swasey too. I still can’t believe that Butch hired Swasey at FIU.

While Feely probably isn’t great, he’s the first S&C coach in decades who at least seems decent.

Manny’s defensive staff, on the other hand.... That is a huge problem.

Last edited:
Richt’s S&C coach was pretty atrocious. He was less atrocious than Swasey, but my dog would be a less atrocious S&C coach than Swasey too. I still can’t believe that Butch hired Swasey at FIU.

While Feely probably isn’t great, he’s the first S&C coach in decades who at least seems decent.

Manny’s defensive staff, on the other hand.... That is a huge problem,
Can you believe Butch beat Miami at FIU?

Honest questions... I don't see our athletes as physically developed as other programs, not as explosive. I see our players don't get injured as often which is positive

Do we have a problem at S&C?

Is it the athletes the other programs are recruiting?

Are other programs using "substances" we are not utilizing?
Our guys look the part and they really don’t get pushed around.
They’re just not put into position to win
The coaching is trash
Even Lashlee, our best coach leaves a lot to be desired. He’s not creative enough in the run game. We run the same running play over and over

Advertisement
just to be clear, it’s possible for two things to be broke at once. your logic doesn’t hold up.
You're technically right but my point is that S&C is the least of our problems right now. If we were bigger and stronger this year we would still be a 2-3 loss team.

Our guys look the part and they really don’t get pushed around.
They’re just not put into position to win
The coaching is trash
Even Lashlee, our best coach leaves a lot to be desired. He’s not creative enough in the run game. We run the same running play over and over
💯

You're technically right but my point is that S&C is the least of our problems right now. If we were bigger and stronger this year we would still be a 2-3 loss team.
since my point is it all flows from culture we probably agree. but in my experience, when there’s one aspect of a program that is amateurishly managed, there are almost certainly flaws in other aspects of the program as well. We do not have a program properly managed in all areas except one thing. We have a tricycle trying to compete in a monster truck rally.

Advertisement
Honest questions... I don't see our athletes as physically developed as other programs, not as explosive. I see our players don't get injured as often which is positive

Do we have a problem at S&C?

Is it the athletes the other programs are recruiting?

Are other programs using "substances" we are not utilizing?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210102-102133.png
    Screenshot_20210102-102133.png
    831.8 KB · Views: 19
I mentioned this before, our team is made of the majority of South Florida players, their HS football teams seem to focus more on speed in their training. I’m up here in NJ and the HS teams have their Middle School recruits in the gym working on strength. **** I was even benching 315 at 5’6 165 when I was 16 years old in the off season. Miami players come in looking like they never even touched a weight. Even then new recruits coming in like Taylor, he post on occasion his workouts and I laughed at what he’s putting up.
Chaney and Harris look like they only focused on speed?
How about Restrepo, who's only a freshman slot WR but is 193lbs ripped.
Ivey, Blades and Frierson look like they don't lift weights? You'd be hard pressed to find better looking DB's than them.
These are all South Florida kids.

Chaney and Harris look like they only focused on speed?
How about Restrepo, who's only a freshman slot WR but is 193lbs ripped.
Ivey, Blades and Frierson look like they don't lift weights? You'd be hard pressed to find better looking DB's than them.
These are all South Florida kids.
You’re talking about after they have enrolled, I’m speaking about starting in HS. They are already 3-4 years behind in building their bodies.

Advertisement
Back