Does UM has a S&C problem?

Because he went through a college weight program and never felt the urgency, fear or accountability to change it. What kind of S&C culture do you have when 400 pound doughboys are starting anyway.
He did lose weight and it’s been big guys before to start on the o-line. Phil loadhoalt at Oklahoma some years back was huge

Advertisement
He did lose weight and it’s been big guys before to start on the o-line. Phil loadhoalt at Oklahoma some years back was huge

There have been big guys, but it’s always been clear Donaldson had way too much excess and was never motivated to lose it nor held accountable for it.

Honest questions... I don't see our athletes as physically developed as other programs, not as explosive. I see our players don't get injured as often which is positive

Do we have a problem at S&C?

Is it the athletes the other programs are recruiting?

Are other programs using "substances" we are not utilizing?
We’ve discussed this for at least 15 years
Swasey was turrible
And you are dead on, we lack in S&C a d we definitely lack on a good pharmacy

we are not even close to these teams physically
You will see that in all it’s glory next August when you compare athletes between UM and Bama
They are going to physically knock the **** out of UM!

they will be younger - and still much bigger and stronger!

insaw other comments re coaching
Yes
That is obvious
Miami is jv compared to these four teams you saw today and probably 20 more

it’s a culture issue. how many times does that have to be said?

the culture went to isht under coker and every coach since has expressed shock at the prior guys culture, promised to change it, then failed and got fired.
You’re missing the point. Of course, the culture is the problem, but Richt wanted improvements in the S&C program, including nutrition. Doesn’t mean it will work if players don’t make the effort to train and eat properly.

Miami didn’t have a IPF. They funded one. Didn’t guarantee any more wins.

All of that infrastructure improvement was still needed.

How many times can we do this. It's like ground hog day
You are right
And our BOT plays Groundhog Day every four years....we fire a ****** coach then pay money for a firm to search for a coach, then we hire another ****** first time coach and he hires ****** assistants, most drink the kool aid, then in Year two, writing is on the wall, we ***** about it for two years until there is a Clemson type game that finally makes Blake pull the cord, then, like groundhogs day, we Do The Same Retarded Thing AGAIN!!!!
Welcome to THEU

Advertisement
You are right
And our BOT plays Groundhog Day every four years....we fire a ****** coach then pay money for a firm to search for a coach, then we hire another ****** first time coach and he hires ****** assistants, most drink the kool aid, then in Year two, writing is on the wall, we ***** about it for two years until there is a Clemson type game that finally makes Blake pull the cord, then, like groundhogs day, we Do The Same Retarded Thing AGAIN!!!!
Welcome to THEU
So let's fire them after two years and see how fast good coaches or players will want to come. Were stuck with what we got for now until we luck out and get someone better or many gets better. At least after this we'll be hiring a new ad and coach

Special Teams and S&C are only as good as what the HC gives emphasis for them to be. If he is detailed and guys who slack off sit for not doing either gets attention. Guys who give lip service but no real teeth to the coaches involved get what you would expect.

So let's fire them after two years and see how fast good coaches or players will want to come. Were stuck with what we got for now until we luck out and get someone better or many gets better. At least after this we'll be hiring a new ad and coach
we are stuck and BOT needs to make a commitment to truly compete or just be what we are- also rans .....we are a borderline top 25 - 35 team.

Honest questions... I don't see our athletes as physically developed as other programs, not as explosive. I see our players don't get injured as often which is positive

Do we have a problem at S&C?

Is it the athletes the other programs are recruiting?

Are other programs using "substances" we are not utilizing?
]
yea has nothing to to with anything. pope, Mallory etc just don't giove a fuf and diiz is a pos coach. maimi will never win anhting with these hoe *** DUDES

Advertisement
You’re missing the point. Of course, the culture is the problem, but Richt wanted improvements in the S&C program, including nutrition. Doesn’t mean it will work if players don’t make the effort to train and eat properly.

Miami didn’t have a IPF. They funded one. Didn’t guarantee any more wins.

All of that infrastructure improvement was still needed.
That's the point. Culture is what reinforces choices. Not sure whatother solution you propose.

Sigh. Have a great new year.
You too, but no idea what you're disagreeing with here.

Do we have a S&C issue? SUre, we gots lots of issues. The question is what's the root cause of the issue. If it's culture, then the solution isn't necessarily 'need new S&C coach' - that would be treating a symptom.

People say we have an S&C issue but what they mean isn't that our S&C program itself is failing to deliver - it might be, but that would take a lot of insight knowledge to really know. What they mean is that we appear to be less strong and deep as top teams.

I think one issue that's been glaring for us for years that we got to get ahead of, culture aside, is we have to get ourselves to aplace where our top frosh red**** or play depth unless they earn time the hard way. we need top kids to be showing out their RS Soph year, hopefully returning for Jr. year. Greg Rousseau ends up playing like 70% of one season and is done. Rosters require depth, experience, maturity, talent, balance, all to go with hunger and teamwork culture.

no judgment on any kid who decides to leave early, but we've got to get past that to thepoint were we have enough talented seniorss returning.

Advertisement
The S&C cannot turn chicken **** into chicken salad.

That's to say the caliber of athletes being recruited are not the same. Not even close.

Bro; we’ve heard this w/ Swasey, Gus, & now Feeley.

We’re not recruiting on the Bama, OSU, UGA, Clemson level; but we **** sure are recruiting far better than OKST, UNC, FIU, LA Tech, GT, VT, & 90% of the rest of the FBS D1 schools.

So the questions are, why are OUR caliber of players consistently not meeting the standard, yet a team full of 3 stars at Indiana, OKST, Cincy continue to look the part? Why haven’t our 4 stars and even the few 5 stars that’s come through (except Duke) shown us chit in development?

This OP is something I’ve asked & wondered for a while.

Last edited:
To me it’s more of an effort/ buy in issue over s/c. We look fine physically when the team is focused and bought in.. when we are disinterested and not prepared is when we lack the “pop”. But also recruiting better athletes helps too

I think everyone is severely underestimating the impact that the return of Zalon’tae Hillery and possibly Kai-Leon Herbert is going to have on ALL aspects of our program, including S&C. Time to get excited boys!!

Advertisement
Shouldn't keep lumping in the C aspect and stick with S.

Team def doesn't appear that strong besides a few guys who live in the gym like Jaelen, Cam and maybe a few others.

The conditioning seems pretty **** good though. I never really see anyone winded or losing steam in the 4th quarter.

We've been beating this drum forever. At the end of the day, results (whether good or bad) aren't much of a tell. You can have a phenomenal S&C program and still lose all of your games.

You guys can keep referencing the big dogs of college football and how their players look different...
Well how many of our players were offered by those schools coming out of HS?
Very few, right? And I bet the ones who were, are some of our best looking players.

Better athletes usually look "bigger, stronger, faster" on the field.
There's kids at freakin' D2 schools right now who bench-press 450lbs. You know how they'd look going against SEC/ACC level athletes every week? Weak and slow.

I had a DT who left HS bench-pressing 375, squatting 605 and dead-lifting 605. He signed with Western Illinois where he was a 3 year starter.
You know what happened when that DT played against Ohio State? He got pushed around.
Compare that to the Lineman we had who signed at Miami, who was a better athlete but nowhere near as strong. He spent 4 years pushing other people around in the ACC, became The University of Miami's all-time leader in starts, and is pushing people around in the NFL. (while my kid that went to Western Illinois is a big a$$ bartender)

11 elite athletes versus 11 elite lifters - the elite athletes are gonna LOOK stronger/faster on the field.
You want Miami to look stronger/faster on the field, then start landing the stronger/faster kids out of high school like these elite programs are.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back