Does Culture Flowe from Geography?

You done ate too much sweet potato pie. Careful - you can actually OD on that stuff.

Miami is anything but "South." Or Southern. Too many damned Yankees from up North.

Last time I was there - Miami was right on the coast - unless those Yankees done moved it and schitt it up like they did to their cities up north they were forced to abandon.

Clemson is "South." The University parking lots are divided - small ones for cars, bigger parking lots for tractors. Guess which ones are full?

Miami the Southeastern most city in America is not considered the South even though the state fought for the confederacy.

That has got to be the DUMBEST THING I HAVE EVER HEARD

Advertisement
Miami the Southeastern most city in America is not considered the South even though the state fought for the confederacy.

That has got to be the DUMBEST THING I HAVE EVER HEARD

No, if you'll just speak - THEN you'll have heard the dumbest crap you've ever heard. In an instant!

The STATE may have fought a bit for the Confederacy - but there wasn't a Miami regiment - I promise you!

Sorry, IMPORT. Or shall I say . . . Yank.

What tf does that matter?

Obviously you havent looked at a map recently.
Bro geographically it is southern but south Florida isn’t ur good ole boys it consists of big cities with people from all over and a lot of people from the northeast

Advertisement
The problem with the “Miami::South” debate is that most of you who are debating are talking about two different Miamis:

1. The cultural Miami, which is most definitely not part of “the south”.

2. The geographic Miami, which is most definitely in the south.

You have no idea which one Ferrell was referring to, so you cannot possibly settle the debate.

Bro geographically it is southern but south Florida isn’t ur good ole boys it consists of big cities with people from all over and a lot of people from the northeast

I guess by your logic

Tampa, Orlando, Houston, and Atlanta shouldnt be considered the south either because of the different cultures and alot of people from the Northeast moving there.

No, if you'll just speak - THEN you'll have heard the dumbest crap you've ever heard. In an instant!

The STATE may have fought a bit for the Confederacy - but there wasn't a Miami regiment - I promise you!

Sorry, IMPORT. Or shall I say . . . Yank.

don't bother with this idiot. miami as an american settlement was too busy trying to survive during the civil war and was more or less unconcerned with what was happening between the union and the confederacy. anyone interested in an honest debate knows that "the south" is a cultural label, and anyone that has lived in miami or the south knows that south florida isn't considered the south. 2.0 is either a troll or plain stupid.

Advertisement
don't bother with this idiot. miami as an american settlement was too busy trying to survive during the civil war and was more or less unconcerned with what was happening between the union and the confederacy. anyone interested in an honest debate knows that "the south" is a cultural label, and anyone that has lived in miami or the south knows that south florida isn't considered the south. 2.0 is either a troll or plain stupid.

Yet football players from Miami consider themselves the south and southern just not redneck

You know what’s hilarious about this idiotic debate. The guy never said “south”. He said east coast lmao, so what you consider south is not even relevant at all.

There are very few "southerners" in South Florida. The Keys has a few as they love to fish. The Redlands has a few that like to hunt. You can find some mixed into the larger landscape of South Florida but the % is not like central Florida and parts north. My basic rule to determine if you are in the "south": do they serve homemade sweet tea in the majority of restaurants.

Miami wasn't on the map in the 1860s. It was North Florida and Key West with everything in-between being Seminole lands.

I guess by your logic

Tampa, Orlando, Houston, and Atlanta shouldnt be considered the south either because of the different cultures and alot of people from the Northeast moving there.
lol dawg those cities arent even close to being similar to miami and again i said geographically is southern

Advertisement
The problem with the “Miami::South” debate is that most of you who are debating are talking about two different Miamis:

1. The cultural Miami, which is most definitely not part of “the south”.

2. The geographic Miami, which is most definitely in the south.

You have no idea which one Ferrell was referring to, so you cannot possibly settle the debate.

We aren't geographically part of the south. It's shorter to take a flight to any major metropolitan area in the continental US than it is to drive to anywhere that existed in the Confederacy. We are physically more closely tied to the Caribbean, South America, and Metropolitan America than we are to the south.

We aren't geographically part of the south. It's shorter to take a flight to any major metropolitan area in the continental US than it is to drive to anywhere that existed in the Confederacy. We are physically more closely tied to the Caribbean, South America, and Metropolitan America than we are to the south.

Geographically not part of the south??

Where did you get educated?

Advertisement

Sure. Whatever. Then we should count LA, Phoenix, and San Antonio as part of Mexico.

Miami is, geographically, a part of the southern USA. Not Cuba or Puerto Rico or Dominican Republic.

Southern USA, by geography.

Geographically not part of the south??

Where did you get educated?

Florida is America's wang, and its a very long wang. I can fly to NY, LA, Chicago, Caracas, Bogota, Mexico City, San Juan, etc.. in about as long as it takes to drive to Jacksonville or Trailerhassee.

Florida is pretty much universally considered its own zone, as we aren't connected to the deep south or piedmont from a supply chain let alone commuting perspective.

2050_Map_Megaregions2008_150.png

Advertisement
Back