Does anyone have any theories? (on lackluster recruiting)

...As to why recruiting has been so lackluster thus far? As fans, we all know how this goes...last year we were letting FSU/Gator fans have it for how bad we were killing them in recruiting, now this year we’ve all adopted the “Stars are overrated and our recruits are better than their actual rating” defense. For the record, I have no issue with taking three stars here or there, but it is a little concerning when all but one is a three star with many of them being low three stars, at that. So I’m having a hard time figuring out what’s going on here, and this certainly isn’t up to par with what we’ve come to expect from Mario da God when it comes to recruiting. So is it because last year was such a disaster that we’re paying dearly for it in recruiting? Is there something that has changed with our NIL game, particularly Ruiz? Do we have some guys on staff that just aren’t great recruiters?
1685288339428.gif

Advertisement
...As to why recruiting has been so lackluster thus far? As fans, we all know how this goes...last year we were letting FSU/Gator fans have it for how bad we were killing them in recruiting, now this year we’ve all adopted the “Stars are overrated and our recruits are better than their actual rating” defense. For the record, I have no issue with taking three stars here or there, but it is a little concerning when all but one is a three star with many of them being low three stars, at that. So I’m having a hard time figuring out what’s going on here, and this certainly isn’t up to par with what we’ve come to expect from Mario da God when it comes to recruiting. So is it because last year was such a disaster that we’re paying dearly for it in recruiting? Is there something that has changed with our NIL game, particularly Ruiz? Do we have some guys on staff that just aren’t great recruiters?
When this recruiting class is done, it will be in the top ten. Recruiting is not the issue of concern with Mario. Not attacking. Just saying they are taking their foundation kids. When the big boys start popping and we land 2-3 big time recruits people will feel better.

I don’t know what they see in Russell. Maybe he’s the 6-1 280 pound kid who plays hard and has the right attitude. Idk

You have Krazy in ya name.

👀😂

Advertisement
I’d have to imagine any recruit worth a **** offensive or defensive recruit at minimum wants to see if the O and/or D looks good under these new coordinators. If it’s a style or scheme that they like and more importantly whether it suits them. I’d say 4-6 games in would give a good idea.

Either way… as unfair as it may seem.
Basketball better than decent year two ✔️
Baseball team not trash either ✔️

Different dynamics at play and all but I’d still have to imagine that MC is seeing his big 3 sport counterparts do their thing adds a little extra motivation to get this figured out quickly.

Don’t hold your breath on the question not arising again. Maybe in a couple of more cycles, Mario’s strategy will have proven itself and the “question” will wane. Nevertheless, there will always be a few that will raise the “question”.

BTW, thanks for all your doing.
The strategy HAS ALREADY proven itself. #1 he didn't just start doing this here. It's synonymous with what he's done EVERYWHERE. #2 if that wasn't enough just look at what we've done in the portal. People weren't happy with what we'd done. No one wants to come etc... Well we have the #6 portal class in the country. Considering how heavy some schools had to go in the portal well that's **** good. If that's not enough then I'm sorry but at what point are these mopes gonna be happy? So many complaints. I guess short term memory is real. Cause for me I'm loving what we're doing in the here and now when I look at what we did since the early 2000s. The UNIVERSITY ITSELF is thriving AND we're re building a NATIONAL BRAND FROM THE GROUND UP...

Got to go with some of the connected guys on this board ... guys who say we do have several DL commits who will be announcing sometime before the season begins and then a wave of commits will be coming in ... pretty much like last season. Not worried.

Advertisement
I do think its a fair to ask whether or not Mario's strategy of starting slow, building relationships and getting guys to commit in the June-August time-frame is the right approach. But asking why things are slow in May isn't overly productive given that this is the expected outcome.

I will say this. Under Manny and Richt, we got the reputation of Decommit U and kids doing placeholder commits until something better came along. Last year's class was able to hold together despite a 5-7 season.
100% spot on

Despite tons of pressure from elite programs we held on to basically every high profile recruit we got last year (take out the Cormani fiasco) after a disaster of a season

It was really impressive

Not really complicated, Mario **** the bed last year, so it put a little hault to recruiting momentum, everything was in place but the product on field, which wasnt really bad, it was horrendous. Mario is such an elite recruiter that he can overcome alot but his product he placed on field was just that bad, even so.. By sheer will and talent, I still think he will have dominos in place for next couple months to set up what he puts product wise in fall.. Im not gonna blame OC/DC he hand picked with unlimited budget. Its on him, those were his choices..

He set bar soo low last year that now even an 8 win season can create that positive momentum again.. Lets see how it plays out..

Advertisement
The strategy HAS ALREADY proven itself. #1 he didn't just start doing this here. It's synonymous with what he's done EVERYWHERE. #2 if that wasn't enough just look at what we've done in the portal. People weren't happy with what we'd done. No one wants to come etc... Well we have the #6 portal class in the country. Considering how heavy some schools had to go in the portal well that's **** good. If that's not enough then I'm sorry but at what point are these mopes gonna be happy? So many complaints. I guess short term memory is real. Cause for me I'm loving what we're doing in the here and now when I look at what we did since the early 2000s. The UNIVERSITY ITSELF is thriving AND we're re building a NATIONAL BRAND FROM THE GROUND UP...

Truth Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

I can think of 5-7 reasons. but as others have correctly pointed out this isn't the Al Golden strategy of having the #1 class 12-18 months before signing day and watching it go down the nearest crapper.

Advertisement
There’s a set few laying in wait for opportunities to pounce with their monotonous quips, on both sides. They can’t help themselves or don’t care to. We’ll be moving some of the antagonists over to purgatory more readily now.

I can think of 5-7 reasons. but as others have correctly pointed out this isn't the Al Golden strategy of having the #1 class 12-18 months before signing day and watching it go down the nearest crapper.
Matthew Thomas totally broke Al Golden. Al did everything possible to land him ... he was at a UM basketball game with the crowd chanting "Matthew Thomas" over and over ... standing ovations. When he didn't commit to UM Golden almost literally cried ... believe that was the final straw for AG wanting to grab the Penn State job.

Advertisement
Back