Does anyone have any theories? (on lackluster recruiting)

DoctorKrazey

Sophomore
...As to why recruiting has been so lackluster thus far? As fans, we all know how this goes...last year we were letting FSU/Gator fans have it for how bad we were killing them in recruiting, now this year we’ve all adopted the “Stars are overrated and our recruits are better than their actual rating” defense. For the record, I have no issue with taking three stars here or there, but it is a little concerning when all but one is a three star with many of them being low three stars, at that. So I’m having a hard time figuring out what’s going on here, and this certainly isn’t up to par with what we’ve come to expect from Mario da God when it comes to recruiting. So is it because last year was such a disaster that we’re paying dearly for it in recruiting? Is there something that has changed with our NIL game, particularly Ruiz? Do we have some guys on staff that just aren’t great recruiters?

Advertisement
You’re going to get attacked for a fair question. But I’d give Mario a bit more time before we get concerned. Last year was similar until June and July, when things heated up.
Attack!
War Attack GIF by Warner Bros. Pictures

You’re going to get attacked for a fair question. But I’d give Mario a bit more time before we get concerned. Last year was similar until June and July, when things heated up.
I concur, things will heat up and this is how Mario operates. If I had to throw out a theory however maybe the NIL money isn't there like it was last year with LIFW being in the tank and Ruiz pulling back. No idea if thats accurate but makes sense.

I think I would reserve judgment until summer official visits are completed.

Miami has loads and loads of 4 and 5 star talent scheduled for officials this summer including a legends camp.

Also if Miami plays wells this season, some higher ranked kids especially locals may want to jump onboard. I think this season will have a lot to do with the success of the class. Last year we could sell vision and early PT.

I feel this years class will want to see at least some good results.

Advertisement
...As to why recruiting has been so lackluster thus far? As fans, we all know how this goes...last year we were letting FSU/Gator fans have it for how bad we were killing them in recruiting, now this year we’ve all adopted the “Stars are overrated and our recruits are better than their actual rating” defense. For the record, I have no issue with taking three stars here or there, but it is a little concerning when all but one is a three star with many of them being low three stars, at that. So I’m having a hard time figuring out what’s going on here, and this certainly isn’t up to par with what we’ve come to expect from Mario da God when it comes to recruiting. So is it because last year was such a disaster that we’re paying dearly for it in recruiting? Is there something that has changed with our NIL game, particularly Ruiz? Do we have some guys on staff that just aren’t great recruiters?
It’s May still, if our class still looks bad after the early OV cycle, then it’s a story but not until.

It’s not a fair question. We were in the same situation last year. Appears to just be how Mario is doing things.

If June-August is a flop this discussion should be brought up then.

Advertisement
Because we aren't good at the sport
Honestly partly this. But also, Mario's approach seems to be to load up on the late bloomers early - make the evals, get in first and roll the dice. This does two things, first it ensures that if they do blow up senior year, we were there first when the sharks start circling. Second, it creates a bit of scarcity in the class when we start pushing for the big boys in late summer/fall.

I think our class will always look mediocre on paper in late May.

Advertisement
Advertisement
[BGCOLOR=initial]1. This time last year the class was similarly unspectacular (because it is May).[/BGCOLOR]
[BGCOLOR=initial]2[/BGCOLOR][BGCOLOR=initial]. These kids are still juniors and ratings change. Only the final one matters and some of the 3* kids will undoubtedly end up 4* recruits (like last year).[/BGCOLOR]
3. Most of our top targets remain uncommitted and may still commit here (like last year).
4. We are building momentum for a big summer for some of those top targets to commit June/July (like last year).
5. Most people are prisoners of the moment and lack perspective on the class (like every year).

Go back one year at this time and you’ll find similar results. I tbink it’s part of an overall strategy where you secure underrated in state kids and then go big game hunting in June/July. I would be genuinely concerned if it’s a similar story after June.

Advertisement
Back