Does anyone have any theories? (on lackluster recruiting)

It’s not a fair question. We were in the same situation last year. Appears to just be how Mario is doing things.

If June-August is a flop this discussion should be brought up then.

I think our class will always look mediocre on paper in late May.

Valid question in 2 months. This time last year the only 4* we had committed was Robby Washington. Everybody else was 3* or less.

[BGCOLOR=initial]1. This time last year the class was similarly unspectacular (because it is May).[/BGCOLOR]

This is exactly why I created the first tracker boards in 2022. It looked like we were absolutely doing nothing and going nowhere in the 2023 cycle. There was a pattern in the 23 cycle, we just weren't watching it. We have detailed recruiting boards this cycle beforehand. We can see a similar pattern emerging. Do with that info what you will.

Just a reminder about what @Brooklyndee said in the midst of the angst last cycle when it looked like nothing was happening (I bolded the most relevant part of his words)
No need for the sensationalism guys(as a whole) trust we're fine. AGAIN Mario has a timeline and a strategy for everything he's doing. Like it or not that's how it is.

Advertisement
I am wondering if I should put this quote at the top of all the tracker threads, cause this question is going to come up next cycle too (and the one after that also).

Bill Murray Spring GIF by INTO ACTION

Groundhog Day GIF by GIPHY News

I am wondering if I should put this quote at the top of all the tracker threads, cause this question is going to come up next cycle too (and the one after that also).

Don’t hold your breath on the question not arising again. Maybe in a couple of more cycles, Mario’s strategy will have proven itself and the “question” will wane. Nevertheless, there will always be a few that will raise the “question”.

BTW, thanks for all your doing.

...As to why recruiting has been so lackluster thus far? As fans, we all know how this goes...last year we were letting FSU/Gator fans have it for how bad we were killing them in recruiting, now this year we’ve all adopted the “Stars are overrated and our recruits are better than their actual rating” defense. For the record, I have no issue with taking three stars here or there, but it is a little concerning when all but one is a three star with many of them being low three stars, at that. So I’m having a hard time figuring out what’s going on here, and this certainly isn’t up to par with what we’ve come to expect from Mario da God when it comes to recruiting. So is it because last year was such a disaster that we’re paying dearly for it in recruiting? Is there something that has changed with our NIL game, particularly Ruiz? Do we have some guys on staff that just aren’t great recruiters?
Maybe should call ZO & Mario and ask them what they are doing. Listen, with those two men evaluating these players, just sit back and enjoy the process. When this class is finished you will be very happy where we are ranked.

Advertisement
...As to why recruiting has been so lackluster thus far? As fans, we all know how this goes...last year we were letting FSU/Gator fans have it for how bad we were killing them in recruiting, now this year we’ve all adopted the “Stars are overrated and our recruits are better than their actual rating” defense. For the record, I have no issue with taking three stars here or there, but it is a little concerning when all but one is a three star with many of them being low three stars, at that. So I’m having a hard time figuring out what’s going on here, and this certainly isn’t up to par with what we’ve come to expect from Mario da God when it comes to recruiting. So is it because last year was such a disaster that we’re paying dearly for it in recruiting? Is there something that has changed with our NIL game, particularly Ruiz? Do we have some guys on staff that just aren’t great recruiters?
Recruiting is built on hope and established relationships.

Especially elite level players.

1. What was our record last year? 5-7.
2. What Miami team of the last 40 years had the worst offense?
3. How many coordinators have returned from last year?
4. How many assistant coaches have returned from last year?

Essentially we have had to go to square one with relationships because most of the coaches are gone from last year. The head coach is still there, but he helmed a loss to Middle Tennessee State. So there is less hope.

Basically Miami is in that catch-22 situation now where they have to prove on field results before getting truly elite recruits, but need elite players to get those results.

Advertisement
I remember those top-5 rankings….in May.
Good times.

I do think its a fair to ask whether or not Mario's strategy of starting slow, building relationships and getting guys to commit in the June-August time-frame is the right approach. But asking why things are slow in May isn't overly productive given that this is the expected outcome.

I will say this. Under Manny and Richt, we got the reputation of Decommit U and kids doing placeholder commits until something better came along. Last year's class was able to hold together despite a 5-7 season.

I do think its a fair to ask whether or not Mario's strategy of starting slow, building relationships and getting guys to commit in the June-August time-frame is the right approach. But asking why things are slow in May isn't overly productive given that this is the expected outcome.

I will say this. Under Manny and Richt, we got the reputation of Decommit U and kids doing placeholder commits until something better came along. Last year's class was able to hold together despite a 5-7 season.
They prefer it that way us losing kids,but as long as we are ranked high early

Advertisement

In fairness, we developed that rep under Golden. Richt tried to limit visits/offers to push back on it. But by Manny's end, the moniker was squarely back in play.

Advertisement

I was going to add the “De-Com U” rep to my post.
Thank you.

One year does not a tendency make, but all signs are pointing towards a similar approach this year with the hope of a top-5ish finish.
Even with that, I bet we’ll have similar posts next year this time questioning the ‘25 cycle.

Instead of posting the quotes post Mario’s recruiting rankings along with how many of those guys got drafted. Those two data points seem to be the two things most focus on here when making their arguments.

Could be a fun experiment!

Also - you do good work here!!! Thank you for that.

Advertisement
Back