Does anyone disagree? The University of Miami does not care about winning in football, basketball, or baseball.

Advertisement
Since Richt arrived we have more or less the same or better record than USC, Texas, Auburn, Tennessee, Florida, FSU, UCLA, Texas A&M, Michigan and Oregon.

Nearly all of them has recruited more or less the same or better than us.

Do they not care about winning either?

False Narrative:

USC has gone 26-13 w/ two NY6 bowl bids, and two 10+ winning seasons since Richt's hire. The moment they went 5-7, this year, F what happened last year going 11-3; they forced Helton's hand and he fired a good portion of his staff, and they went out and hired one of the hottest names on the OC market.

Texas has improved every year since Richt was hired, including playing for a BIG 12 title in year 3.

Auburn just hired another OC

Tennessee fired their "We are winner's in life" coach and hired someone from Saban's tree, who is now trying to hire a top OC

Florida fired shark boy after year 3, even though he won the SEC East in his first two years.

FSU is already trying to force Willie's hand to make changes and he's only in year 1. lol

Texas A&M just threw a whole lotta money at Jimbo

Michigan made Harbaugh revamp his staff, and word is, more changes will be made or this is it for him.

Oregon is Oregon...an overrated program, no argument from me there.

The point is, the difference between us and the other schools you mentioned is something is being done to rectify their seasons. We are standing pat, and we've been standing pat for a minute under a lot of coaches. We allow the coaches to make decisions, vs. influencing them to re-evaluate their current circumstance.

Well we hired one of the best head coaches in cfb so it’s safe to say the program cares about winning

... not to mention the millions invested in an indoor practice facility as well as the Schwartz Center / football building. For a program that "doesn't care about winning"—facilities have never been better. BoT members also stated Richt will have around $1M to spend on a quality offensive coordinator, if he chooses to go that route. Never before did Miami spend that kind of money on head coaches, assistant coaches or facilities facelifts.

Gotta love it, some are now turning on Jim Larranaga, as well—as if that hire wasn't top notch.

Seems some just refuse to understand that Miami is a private school in a large, diverse metropolitan city—it ain't a state school, with big time boosters, in a podunk college town where sports is literally EVERYTHING.

Based on how big the business of college athletics has become, the University of Miami isn't going to be what it once was—especially in baseball, where private school tuition versus partial scholarships are a HUGE issue and have ZERO to do with Gino DiMare as head coach. Please. If someone here is already blaming DiMare before year one starts—they're clueless as to the bigger picture issues Miami baseball will deal with.

I do think they care, hiring Larranaga was a great hire. At the time the Richt hire looked to be a great hire as well. We will have to wait and see about Baseball.
AD's are not in the business of hiring people to just have someone become mediocre or worse. It's their reputation on the line as well. If the administration really didn't care they would have hired another no name on the cheap

Advertisement
False Narrative:

USC has gone 26-13 w/ two NY6 bowl bids, and two 10+ winning seasons since Richt's hire. The moment they went 5-7, this year, F what happened last year going 11-3; they forced Helton's hand and he fired a good portion of his staff, and they went out and hired one of the hottest names on the OC market.

Texas has improved every year since Richt was hired, including playing for a BIG 12 title in year 3.

Tennessee fired their "We are winner's in life" coach and hired someone from Saban's tree, who is now trying to hire a top OC

Florida fired shark boy after year 3, even though he won the SEC East in his first two years.

FSU is already trying to force Willie's hand to make changes and he's only in year 1. lol

Michigan made Harbaugh revamp his staff, and word is, more changes will be made or this is it for him.

The point is, the difference between us and the other schools you mentioned is something is being done to rectify their seasons. We are standing pat, and we've been standing pat for a minute under a lot of coaches. We allow the coaches to make decisions, vs. influencing them to re-evaluate their current circumstance.
False Narrative:

The point is these all these schools all care about football and have the same or worse results as us. It would hold true even if you went back 5 years.

Trying to equate winning and losing to caring and not caring is a simpleton's knee jerk reaction. Saying that makes as much sense as someone last year saying "Richt got us our first bowl win in years his first season, then to the ACC Championship in his second. We really care about football now!"

Disagree. The administration may not care to win at all costs. They consider themselves an elite private academic institution, and not a football factory school. The two are not mutually exclusive. Miami can have a top football program and maintain their academic integrity. They have yet to make the correct choices to accomplish this goal.

They care about their 3 P's. Prestige. Perception. Profit. They do not care, at all, about winning.

Not one iota - DBC

Last edited:
Advertisement
I'd say they are happy with a participation trophy. Pretty positive they either have a lack of desire or know how to compete. How they can sit back and watch this program wallow in mediocrity is so phucked up. To let a bunch of country hicks out smart them just destroys my faith that city slickers would dupe a bunch of hicks 99 out of a 100.

The point is these all these schools all care about football and have the same or worse results as us. It would hold true even if you went back 5 years.

Trying to equate winning and losing to caring and not caring is a simpleton's knee jerk reaction. Saying that makes as much sense as someone last year saying "Richt got us our first bowl win in years his first season, then to the ACC Championship in his second. We really care about football now!"

And I'm saying there's fallacy in your statement. W/L is not black and white. If a school sees that something is not going according to their plan, they are making changes. You brought up USC, and USC had back to back double digit win seasons w/ their new coach to start his tenure...In Miami's world, that would've been fantastic, but it USC's world, It took them ONE BAD YEAR to say, aight, change this chit up.

You're bringing up Texas and Texas have now had three coaches in 5 years. Why? B/c the latter two coaches weren't cutting it. They kept Mack Brown b/c he was stable, for a while, but after they realized the program was not progressing, they fired him and replaced him w/ Strong. Gave Strong 3 yrs to figure it out, and got rid of him. With Herman, the program is now progressing EACH YEAR.

I'm not going to hash out every single program you listed as to what shows they care as opposed to us. Most teams are not OK with mediocre. The fact is, Richt is the first coach since the 1950's to own 3 seasons in which his team has lost 4 games in a row, and the first coach since the 1970's to do it in back to back seasons. Going from 9-4 to 10-3 would, on paper, look like we improved, but the fact is we truly lucked into 3 of those 10 wins and the slipper finally came off at the end of the 2017 season. As a result, what and who we really are showed itself this season. I don't know what's so hard to get.

If I'm being truly honest, the 2016 team was better than the 2017 team, and that team completely underachieved. Regardless, I'm not here to talk about semantics; the moment this regular season ended, if we "really" cared about football, we would've talked to Richt, b/c what you fail to realize, this wasn't just one bad season. This tendency of this team has reared it's head his entire tenure.

QFT.

That *** clown Ross only cares about the entertainment value. As long as the fans have a good game day experience.

Winning is just a by product.

UM, is the same way. Winning is secondary, as long as the program stays clean.
Definitely believe past problems with football have contributed to this attitude. The thing I can’t understand is the academic side of this school is deteriorating right along with athletics. The whole institution seems to be going downhill. Leadership seems to be really bad at this time everywhere. Is it Frenk? The BOT or WHAT? Very troubling. Makes me think the school is in serious financial trouble (or, more likely, pretends to be broke when it isn’t). The place has always been run poorly, but now, it’s getting worse.

Last edited:
Well we hired one of the best head coaches in cfb so it’s safe to say the program cares about winning
Dog what drugs are u on i need that **** in my life. I want to view Mark as the best cfb coach and think all cane players are number one picks. It beats moping around about the team i love.

Advertisement
They care about winning just not to the point to do what some schools like Bama or UGA are willing to bend the rules etc. its easy to criticize a school admin but lets be real the school should be first and foremost focused on the school. When ppl are paying 40-80k in costs they care more about the degrees than the referees.

bro you made me think of something, not that i'm agreeing with you but, when i was a soph, playing at a big d1, a bunch of players took, get ready, self pace math, thats right lol. It was insane easy, literally 10x5=?, or 100 divided by 10 = ? i took it 2 years lol
This is what we have to do if we dont we r fuqed

False Narrative:

Preach

Advertisement
... not to mention the millions invested in an indoor practice facility as well as the Schwartz Center / football building. For a program that "doesn't care about winning"—facilities have never been better. BoT members also stated Richt will have around $1M to spend on a quality offensive coordinator, if he chooses to go that route. Never before did Miami spend that kind of money on head coaches, assistant coaches or facilities facelifts.

Gotta love it, some are now turning on Jim Larranaga, as well—as if that hire wasn't top notch.

Seems some just refuse to understand that Miami is a private school in a large, diverse metropolitan city—it ain't a state school, with big time boosters, in a podunk college town where sports is literally EVERYTHING.

Based on how big the business of college athletics has become, the University of Miami isn't going to be what it once was—especially in baseball, where private school tuition versus partial scholarships are a HUGE issue and have ZERO to do with Gino DiMare as head coach. Please. If someone here is already blaming DiMare before year one starts—they're clueless as to the bigger picture issues Miami baseball will deal with.
this may all well be true, BUT, you put a damm good football coach in here and he wins in short order, you cant argue that, which pretty much negates everything you wrote

Definitely believe past problems with football have contributed to this attitude. The thing I can’t understand is the academic side of this school is deteriorating right along with athletics. The whole institution seems to be going downhill. Leadership seems to be really bad at this time everywhere. Is it Frenk? The BOT or WHAT? Very troubling. Makes me think the school is in serious financial trouble (or, more likely, pretends to be broke when it isn’t). The place has always been run poorly, but now, it’s getting worse.
great point, i have been saying this all year, how the **** did Ufag pass us academically, that **** aint right, it actually went down under Donna

In football, we have father and son creating the problems that prevent winning.
In basketball, we have father and son creating the problems that prevent winning.
In baseball, we have a son of the program's biggest booster that is likely creating the problems that prevent winning.

This leads me to the conclusion that the President, the BOT and certainly the AD simply have different goals for these teams than do the fans. It appears that so long as there are no major scandals, and revenues cover the costs, they are happy to be slightly above average in the respective sport. They want a family enviornment and do not want the stress of trying to be a champion. I now know that I will not see any more championships during my lifetime. It is sad, because for one night, at the Rock beating the domers, it felt like the old days crushing people in the OB.

Seriously? Are you just looking for attention?

Strong work Rellyrell. That's an excellent post.

The fact that we hired Coker, Shannon, and Golden in sequence speaks volumes about administration's concern for winning at the highest level. The administration does want to be competitive in the Coastal, but they are not working toward winning national championships. That takes establishing priorities, standards, and expectations that must be met or there are real and substantial consequences that will be imposed, if need be, from the top down. It means too that the institution is geared up and committed to the same objective.

Again, it is important that we have a competitive player roster that allows us to match the talent of our opponents, but it is also hugely important that our staff is as capable or preferably more capable than our opponents. Otherwise, we are at a disadvantage relative to our opponents. That's simple logic. Someone should be paying as close attention to that at UM as they clearly do at other schools and demanding Richt to have a plan in place for how to right the ship. Your AD stated in a recent article he's still waiting to speak to Richt about his plan around December 16th, and that as of yet Richt has not suggested any changes other than to say 7-5 isn't acceptable.

Programs that are serious about contending for a national championship constantly look for an edge. Watching how quickly some of these schools moved to address poor performance at critical areas or to just try to get better at a position lets you know how serious they are about winning at the highest level.

Again, very good post.

False Narrative:

Advertisement
Back