Do the Canes Need a True Offensive Coordinator?

Advertisement
NO
What we need is a good OL coach. :20161020-221306th:

There is nothing our offense could do better without improvement on the OL
I originally snagged these to illustrate how AR sometimes lets the ball come into his body rather than catching it with his hands--in this case a 6'3" 205 receiver is stripped from behind by a 5'9" 175 lb corner, but take a look at St.Louis getting manhandled by the DE here. At the end of the play he's left not even knowing which way his man went...

1st_922.png

1st_922_2.png

There's a reason why HC and OC are different people most places.

For example, play calling aside, there'salso a reason some of our approach to defensive recruiting was questionable compared to the success on offensive.

That's where the boss spends most of his time.

People are complaining about Richt calling runs up the middle.......but we have to be able to run up the middle at some point, don't we?

This ongoing debate about OC-or-not reminds me of the people in my section at the stadium.....our offense runs unsuccessfully, they all yell "THROW THE BALL!" Then when we try a pass play and it doesn't work, those same people are yelling RUN THE BALL.

Advertisement
He should ask the ancient Romans how nepotism worked out for them.

Actually the empire worked out rather well...over 500 years (from Julius C to the fall)

Overall Rome ruled the world (republic + empire), more or less, for around a thousand years or more.

Not too shabby. America is just over 200 years as a nation.

So...bad example. It’s football anyway, I don’t see Rick marching into France or England to establish an outpost

Malik ran the same plays every other Richt QB has run, this nonsense about Him watering down the offense because of Malik is unsubstantiated BS.

or it could be bc the oline cant hold up while ur fantasy play action WR sweep screen option HB fake pass materializes??

Do I believe better Oline play(especially in the short-yardage/goal-line situations) will make this play-calling look better?

Yes.

Will improved QB play- from whoever is behind center - make this system/play-calling look better?

Absolutely.

But do I think this program would be better served having an experienced or cutting edge guy upstairs as another set of eyes to help Richt?

Yeah.

This isn't just a complete black-and-white issue, here

Advertisement
or it could be bc the oline cant hold up while ur fantasy play action WR sweep screen option HB fake pass materializes??
Bingo.

I'm constantly amazed by people who seem to think that a team that cannot properly execute a simple dive play is going to fare any better with guys running all over the place in pre-snap motion and a fly-motion jet sweep. Half the time our pulling guards block NOBODY. Let's master the basics of the inside power before we try to get cute.

You give the dude at OKLA this offensive talent & it would be hilarious what he would do with it. Pair that with our defensive talent & look out. I love Richt but he’s a little outdated.

Lincoln Riley is cutting edge. He can scheme and X-and-O with anybody...

Advertisement
Advertisement
Could you imagine what he would do with Harley, Thomas, & AR? Lmao.

LOL, especially in the Big 12 flag football conference. But what he's doing schematically is being used all over now. Now, would he be able to do this vs better defenses and our Oline? That's the question. But yeah, Riley with UM weapons is a scary thought

LOL, especially in the Big 12 flag football conference. But what he's doing schematically is being used all over now. Now, would he be able to do this vs better defenses and our Oline? That's the question. But yeah, Riley with UM weapons is a scary thought

I don’t think our o-line is really as bad as people make it out to be. Surely OU’s o-line doesn’t have that much higher rated players if at all. Do they?

Here we go again. Everybody wants motion and double reverse passes but I'm good with receivers running open with regularity. The QB needs to hit them.

Bottom line is you all can flail and cry all you want but Coach Richt isn't hiring an OC anytime soon. He didn't talk about how much he looked forward to calling plays when he was hired to do so for 2-3 years and give it right back up. Ain't gonna happen.

Everytime I see the phrase fly the banner, I die a little inside. **** is so played out.

^ Every single thing about this.

Advertisement
Back