Do the Canes Need a True Offensive Coordinator?

CANE

The Champ
Head Coach Mark Richt has elevated this program, and brought it back to relevance; but there remain area(s) for improvement.

"...A large part of the blame has to go to Quarterback Malik Rosier however, whose inconsistency halted drives and derailed momentum. With that said, I think some less-predictable play calling, and scheme changes may have helped him..."

Advertisement
Head Coach Mark Richt has elevated this program, and brought it back to relevance; but there remain area(s) for improvement.

"...A large part of the blame has to go to Quarterback Malik Rosier however, whose inconsistency halted drives and derailed momentum. With that said, I think some less-predictable play calling, and scheme changes may have helped him..."

I don't hear many people theorizing that the play calling is limited BECAUSE of the QB. Richt has been at this a loooong time. If he's going vanilla, I suspect there's a reason for it.

I don't hear many people theorizing that the play calling is limited BECAUSE of the QB. Richt has been at this a loooong time. If he's going vanilla, I suspect there's a reason for it.

Yea he's always been a vanilla playcaller.

May not need a new oc..but i think we need another offensive greybeard on the roster to be able to challenge richt.

After that brutal 3 game in 12 day stretch in 2016 we scored:

27 vs. Notre Dame
51 vs. Pitt
34 vs. UVA
27 vs. NC State (Clemson and FSU needed OT and a final second TD to hit 24)
40 vs. Duke
31 vs. UWV (called off the dogs late)

With competent QB play Richt knows how to score points.

The real question going into this year and maybe beyond is if we have that guy on our roster.

If we don't succeed offensively it will because of that, also his responsibility, not play calling.

Look, until we have an OL that can get enough push to convert 3rd and 1 and a QB who can complete 60% of his passes and be a vague running threat, we won't really know what Richt's play calling is worth.

I don't view that as an excuse so much as common sense. That said, this is the last year I'm willing to talk about Richt not having what he needs...after that it's on him and his recruiting.

Advertisement
What we need is a solid oline and a qb who isn’t afraid (kayya) or is accurate (rosier). Fact is our oline has been average since richt has been here and he hasn’t had his guy at qb yet. Let’s see if he has an oline and his guy at qb at some point this season before we say he can’t call plays. Time and time again last year we had guys running open and couldn’t hit them.

Abso-*******-lutely

It would alleviate the minutia of weekly detailed offensive gameplanning and play to play responsibility on gamedays off of Richt's shoulders, I argue it would make him a better head coach by allowing him to oversee the team from a higher altitude...both on gamedays and during the grind of the season.

All that, and he's not very good at it. It's a change that's been long overdue. I'm holding out hope he swallows his pride and hires a dedicated, experienced, quality OC.

And by dedicated, experienced, quality OC I don't mean "promoting" his son.

Remember he was trying run RPOs with Kaaya. Took him til 2nd half vs ND in year 1 to realize his personnel strengths.

Really wish he would have hired KD or brough another experienced guy on O.

Advertisement
Remember he was trying run RPOs with Kaaya. Took him til 2nd half vs ND in year 1 to realize his personnel strengths.

Really wish he would have hired KD or brough another experienced guy on O.
Any qb can run rpo...

Definitely needs to be more innovative with playcalling and have more routes that create separation easily. It’s not all bad but some improvements can for surely be made

What we need is a solid oline and a qb who isn’t afraid (kayya) or is accurate (rosier). Fact is our oline has been average since richt has been here and he hasn’t had his guy at qb yet. Let’s see if he has an oline and his guy at qb at some point this season before we say he can’t call plays. Time and time again last year we had guys running open and couldn’t hit them.

And what exactly is a "Richt guy"?

Last I checked Fromm ran "His guy" (Eason) outta Athens.

Advertisement
After that brutal 3 game in 12 day stretch in 2016 we scored:

27 vs. Notre Dame
51 vs. Pitt
34 vs. UVA
27 vs. NC State (Clemson and FSU needed OT and a final second TD to hit 24)
40 vs. Duke
31 vs. UWV (called off the dogs late)

With competent QB play Richt knows how to score points.

The real question going into this year and maybe beyond is if we have that guy on our roster.

If we don't succeed offensively it will because of that, also his responsibility, not play calling.
Never got to see how potent last year offense could have been with Malik’s inaccuracies the last 7 games(he could have put up a bunch of record breaking stats for Miami if not for that abysmal second half of the season), ahmmon our #1 weapon not being healthy even when he played, walton being injured and missing Herndon the last 2 games

Oh woe is me - we don't/didn't have an offensive line - we had injured players - our QB couldn't hit a bull in the *** with a bass fiddle - it's not the play-calling, it's the execution - blah, blah, blah.

I was ready to shoot the TV a number of times last year - at times the play calling was so vanilla, repetitive, and predictable - I was furious.

Yes, we need a great Offensive Coordinator - a dedicated Offensive Coordinator - and Richt can have his headset on and veto something if he doesn't like the call - but defenses change - and offenses need to change.

A really good, creative, intuitive Offensive Coordinator can change offenses from game to game - and I'm not seeing that. Especially the intuition part.

If your QB has to wind up to throw - don't call plays that require him to wind up - short, quick stuff - that he can hit. UM won some games with some great talented effort last year - in spite of play calling.

If your #2 QB is more instinctive - then of course emphasize the check-downs - but when a receiver says, "Dammit, I'm open!" he should be able to forget his checkdowns and go for that one first.

But RIcht has his staid, sequence - and I think we miss a lot of opportunities on the field.

For most coaches, just being the Head Coach is a full time job. Being an Offensive Coordinator is likewise a full time job.

We're getting screwed somewhere - we have to be.

Advertisement
Exactly...the Eagles 2nd string QB ran it to a SB ring. LOL...some folks act like you need a Super Duper QB to run it.
Yep, You don’t need to be mobile to run it because you aren’t reading the End man on the line of scrimmage but instead the linebacker and by faking it to the rb you draw him to pursuit that and a receiver replaces that area behind him and the qb throws it there. No running involved from the qbs folks lol.

Read option now that’s actually when you are reading the de and based on what he does the qb runs or give It to the running back

Last edited:
Abso-*******-lutely

It would alleviate the minutia of weekly detailed offensive gameplanning and play to play responsibility on gamedays off of Richt's shoulders, I argue it would make him a better head coach by allowing him to oversee the team from a higher altitude...both on gamedays and during the grind of the season.

All that, and he's not very good at it. It's a change that's been long overdue. I'm holding out hope he swallows his pride and hires a dedicated, experienced, quality OC.

And by dedicated, experienced, quality OC I don't mean "promoting" his son.

If he promote little Richt to OC I will personally start flying the banners myself.

Advertisement
Back