Do the Canes Need a True Offensive Coordinator?

Advertisement
"No! Our offense is perfectly fine & Richt is the greatest play caller in College history! We just need to stick with Rosier for a few more years & eventually he'll lead us to a National championship!"

Here we go again. Everybody wants motion and double reverse passes but I'm good with receivers running open with regularity. The QB needs to hit them.

Bottom line is you all can flail and cry all you want but Coach Richt isn't hiring an OC anytime soon. He didn't talk about how much he looked forward to calling plays when he was hired to do so for 2-3 years and give it right back up. Ain't gonna happen.

Everytime I see the phrase fly the banner, I die a little inside. **** is so played out.

Here we go again. Everybody wants motion and double reverse passes but I'm good with receivers running open with regularity. The QB needs to hit them.

Bottom line is you all can flail and cry all you want but Coach Richt isn't hiring an OC anytime soon. He didn't talk about how much he looked forward to calling plays when he was hired to do so for 2-3 years and give it right back up. Ain't gonna happen.

Everytime I see the phrase fly the banner, I die a little inside. **** is so played out.

No one here is requesting him to run a Lincoln Riley type offense. We just don't want to see run up the middle. Loss of yards. Bubble screen gain of 4. Run up middle loss of yards. Punt.

Advertisement
Yes we need an OC drive up to Boca and see FAU's offense go. They are hurry up, jet sweeps, pass on run dwns, run on pass dwns. I knw we play against better talent but we have superior athletes than just about anybody on offense.

Malik ran the same plays every other Richt QB has run, this nonsense about Him watering down the offense because of Malik is unsubstantiated BS.

Yeah, there's no evidence that Richt wants to call some crazy sht but doesn't because of personnel. Real tired of people talking about "vanilla" offense. If th
Definitely needs to be more innovative with playcalling and have more routes that create separation easily. It’s not all bad but some improvements can for surely be made

There are no routes that create separation easily. If there were everyone would run them wouldn't they? And every D would find ways to counter them, wouldn't they?

Advertisement
Yes, there's no question about it.

The biggest indicator of this is our third down conversion percentage. It's abysmal and that's being kind. It shows two things. One, he doesn't know what works. It also shows that defenses have watched what we do and know our tendencies. That allows them to eat us alive on a consistent basis.

This is year three. There is no excuse to not improve drastically in that area as well as others. Another case in point, red zone scoring.

I hope he figures it out. If not, It shouldn't be hard to find someone better as plenty of coaches are doing far more with less.

Maybe here on CIS. In fact, I recall many here on CIS bemoaning the banners when they were flying.

NOW. On WEZ?

They're the ones that flew the banners. WEZ was relentless - followed him to away games.

WEZ are the ones that got rid of the biggest, stinking **** in UM Football history.

WEZ has greater UM fans than CIS - based entirely on necessary action that led to turning around an almost-tanked program.

Here, nothing but hand-wringing, moaning, and whining. There - all action.

Yea he's always been a vanilla playcaller.

May not need a new oc..but i think we need another offensive greybeard on the roster to be able to challenge richt.

Mark was never my first pick for HC but the minute he was fired it was clear he became our next coach. Now that he almost for to get on the ride of the gold ring he will be our coach for the foreseeable future. He thinks giving up play calling was his downfall at UGA(I have no idea if that is correct but he think so). Given that, he is not giving it up again.

We, the fans, proved at the ND game that we can make The Rock our new OB. That gives Mark the place for him to reach the heavens and return THE U to greatness. BUT we are stuck with his offense so what we need is the horses to make it work. Vanilla can work with the right Oline, crushing runners with speed, and receivers who do not drop balls and score from distance. None of those thing are alien to Miami football. Back in the day, how many times did we run that Miami stretch play in a game from the pro set? That one back offense might have been innovated but it was predictable also. Miami talent made both work.

Mark is not changing. The man has a "perfect" way to eat a frigging sandwich, for God's sake. Losing the OB was deadly but now the fans have made a new home. That is a huge fundamental need satisfied. Mark needs to find more of the "big time players making big time plays in big time games." That is what we are missing. No drops on 3rd down. No losing 50/50 battles for pass. No letting QB escape the pocket on 3rd down. No not making the pick. Like every successful coach we have had, it will be the players that make the difference. Mark is not Randy, or Golden. He is not the great coach his lovers make him out to be but he is good enough. Of course, I still pray in Latin and love vanilla ice cream.

Advertisement
And what exactly is a "Richt guy"?

Last I checked Fromm ran "His guy" (Eason) outta Athens.

Last I checked Fromm only became the starter after Eason was injured that’s hardly ran him off. Kayya or Rosier would not have been recruited out of high school by Richt if he had been here at that time. I will say that he should have his guy by this year and it is perplexing that we have the real possibility of rolling out Rosier game 1 vs LSU, but as I said there were numerous times that we had guys running open only for the pass to be nowhere in the vicinity or limit RAC possibilities.

Advertisement
I wish we would get a creative oc but not gonna happen anytime soon. My absolute nightmare is that we squander all this talent on offense we got like LSU did under Les Miles.

90% QB/OL/execution issues
10% on Richts play calling

I'd put it around 75% to 25%.

In year one, I thought his play calling was terrible until the second half of the ND game when he dumped all the I formation junk and sat Kaaya in the shotgun and let him sling it. It's no coincidence that the offense came alive after that.

Last year was masterful considering what he got out of Rosier. Everything was tailored around Malik, playing to his strengths and away from what he can't do. Walton went down and they didn't miss a beat with Homer (a guy who had very little actual playing expeience). The offensive line is and has been a weak link for a while now and doesn't appear to be getting much better. I'd much rather bring in a O-line coach who hasn't been mediocre for his entire career than worry about bringing in a guy to call plays.

No one here is requesting him to run a Lincoln Riley type offense. We just don't want to see run up the middle. Loss of yards. Bubble screen gain of 4. Run up middle loss of yards. Punt.
The problem is smacking you in the face and you can't see it. Our offensive line is abysmal at run blocking, and it was only thanks to having a dual-threat QB contribute 480 yards did we turn in even a mediocre 79th ranked rushing attack last season. No offense looks good when your running game is that poor. Every other team in the final AP top 15 was 54th or higher. We ranked a full 25 places behind the second worse rushing team in the top 15.

And as much as I love Homer--I even prefer his one cut go run style to the shifty guys--you have to have a line that can open lanes for that running style to be effective on any consistent basis. There were times last season where Homer's head first into the hole style hurt us. Below is one such play.

Pardon my crappy paint skills. The play is an RPO with a lead dive option and Berrios running the bubble option. The safety is creeping up on the slot, so the check is to the dive. Trevor Darling gets abused by the DT who also manages to push Herndon back into Homer's face, and we barely manage to get the 2 feet needed to convert.

3rd and 1_2.png

This is where experience comes into play. At the snap, the safety immediately crashes down hard on to take away the Bubble screen. IMO, Walton's vision and experience would have picked up on this, taken a jab step and run right behind the area vacated by the over zealous safety, likely for a score.

3rd and 1_3.png

Let me reiterate before someone thinks I'm bashing Homer, I actually like his run style better, but he is wholly dependent on an offensive line being able to open up running lanes, and we couldn't do that consistently last season. If that improves, People are going to like Richt's play calling a whole lot more.

There are successful coaches who call plays and are HC. Richt is as good and capable as any of those guys. Plus it helps that he has a DC that has a lot of control over the defensive side. I was very pleased with the play calling on the whole when considering the previous staphs (yuck) and, yes, the personnel issues he had to deal with. When you lose Walton early in the year, and a Richards injury status that made game-planning his impact a question mark in the games he did play, until of course he was lost as well, it changes a lot of what you prepared for. Along with the inherent limitations Rosier and the OL presented. When your QB can't consistently complete passes, OL cant run block, missing your best RB and WR, that will effect (and limit) any OC playcalling.

Maybe a true OC would be better, but at this point, with all things considered, if you do think that you simply just like that structure better. Richt's playcalling is NOT what held this team back last season.

I do think he needs to be willing to adjust his offense to his personnel going forward. The Kaaya scenario is a good example of that and I hope that sticks in the back of his mind. But while he is still building his team, he is going to push them fit his vision first, that's no surprise.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back