Do the Canes Need a True Offensive Coordinator?

Exactly. He had the heisman trophy winning, #1 pick in the draft QB. (71% completions). Malik, not so much.
So the question should be, how good would our O look with a 71%, Heisman Trophy, 1st pick of the draft QB? Guaranteed Rosier doesn't put up those numbers under ANY coach, but a QB that can put up those numbers can sure make any coach look brilliant.

Advertisement
So the question should be, how good would our O look with a 71%, Heisman Trophy, 1st pick of the draft QB? Guaranteed Rosier doesn't put up those numbers under ANY coach, but a QB that can put up those numbers can sure make any coach look brilliant.

Uh, yeah. That's the point.

You give the dude at OKLA this offensive talent & it would be hilarious what he would do with it. Pair that with our defensive talent & look out. I love Richt but he’s a little outdated.

He would do as well as the great Tom Herman did with all the talent Texas had.

You know, more talent than hes ever had at Houston.

Stop saying what Briles, Riley and other good OCs will do with kids they didn't recruit because you dummies HAVE NEVER SEEN THEM COACH KIDS THEY HAVENT RECRUITED.

Actually the empire worked out rather well...over 500 years (from Julius C to the fall)

Overall Rome ruled the world (republic + empire), more or less, for around a thousand years or more.

Not too shabby. America is just over 200 years as a nation.

So...bad example. It’s football anyway, I don’t see Rick marching into France or England to establish an outpost

No knock against Rome one of the greatest empires of all time. However, I always learned that Nepotism was not that rampant in ancient Rome until later in its history when the Senate became absurdly powerful. Also, it is usually brought up as one of the numerous reasons for the fall of Rome. I was really just making a joke and have no issue with Nepotism(when it works). Giving your son the family business after teaching him the ropes and having him work under you for many years is often times a great tactic. Hiring your son as the OC after a few years as a coach is usually not a good tactic.

Advertisement
No knock against Rome one of the greatest empires of all time. However, I always learned that Nepotism was not that rampant in ancient Rome until later in its history when the Senate became absurdly powerful. Also, it is usually brought up as one of the numerous reasons for the fall of Rome. I was really just making a joke and have no issue with Nepotism(when it works). Giving your son the family business after teaching him the ropes and having him work under you for many years is often times a great tactic. Hiring your son as the OC after a few years as a coach is usually not a good tactic.

I don’t think there’s any danger of him hiring his son as the OC anytime soon, do you?

Yea he's always been a vanilla playcaller.

May not need a new oc..but i think we need another offensive greybeard on the roster to be able to challenge richt.
I keep hearing this vanilla thing and I ain't buying it because if he had it in his repertoire he'd use it. We all know if can't blow people off the ball you get more creative with play calling. I've said it for some time he could do himself and this team a world of good if he hired an top caliber OC. I'll bet my mortgage that he will stay OC until he can hand it over to his QB coach- John Richt.

Advertisement
"No! Our offense is perfectly fine & Richt is the greatest play caller in College history! We just need to stick with Rosier for a few more years & eventually he'll lead us to a National championship!"

You need to let your anger go, or you’ll soon turn to the dark side.

He does have an OC, though. Brown can improve as an OC, and maybe be more of an OC at some point, I don’t think he’s dumb or too old to learn.

I agree with that. I always liked Brown. He does a great job at recruiting and coaching up the RBs. I know he is listed as the OC, but was always told he was more of a run game coordinator. If he can be more of a true OC I think that would be great because it would give Richt more time to work on his HC duties.

I agree with that. I always liked Brown. He does a great job at recruiting and coaching up the RBs. I know he is listed as the OC, but was always told he was more of a run game coordinator. If he can be more of a true OC I think that would be great because it would give Richt more time to work on his HC duties.

Right. That’s my understanding as well.

I do agree that at some point it might serve him best to remove those day-to-day OC responsibilities.

I don’t see it happening for a year or two because I take him for his word that one of the main reasons he wanted back into coaching is that he felt at UGA he was too far removed from the offense.

Right. That’s my understanding as well.

I do agree that at some point it might serve him best to remove those day-to-day OC responsibilities.

I don’t see it happening for a year or two because I take him for his word that one of the main reasons he wanted back into coaching is that he felt at UGA he was too far removed from the offense.

I agree on all points. He seems to really enjoy calling the offense and he did a great job at it at FSU. So hopefully when he gets a QB that can actually hit his targets and a good line we will see the old Richt come out calling plays.

Advertisement
There are some low hanging fruit that Richt has ignored in his offense: pre-snap motion, stack/bunch alignments, heavy personnel groupings, among others. These are methods that can confuse a defense and scheme guys open.

But the talent level on offense has been lousy by Miami standards and it's a group that struggles to execute even simple plays. Rosier is totally inaccurate, Kaaya had major pocket issues, Walton had vision issues, Richards is a raw route runner and the OL can only overachieve so much with so little talent.

Richt hasn't maximized his personnel but he hasn't totally held back the offense either. He typically adjusts between games with stuff like the RPO, midline read, and specific runs. When he spots a weakness he attacks it repeatedly.

I expect some new wrinkles this year but I'll wait until this elite offensive recruiting class is in year 2/3 to bring the full judgment to bear.

Advertisement
After that brutal 3 game in 12 day stretch in 2016 we scored:

27 vs. Notre Dame
51 vs. Pitt
34 vs. UVA
27 vs. NC State (Clemson and FSU needed OT and a final second TD to hit 24)
40 vs. Duke
31 vs. UWV (called off the dogs late)

With competent QB play Richt knows how to score points.

The real question going into this year and maybe beyond is if we have that guy on our roster.

If we don't succeed offensively it will because of that, also his responsibility, not play calling.

Richt has had some competent QB's at Georgia.

And some good rosters.

I’m too late, you’ve already gone over. If only I would have had more time.
image.gif

Yea he's always been a vanilla playcaller.

May not need a new oc..but i think we need another offensive greybeard on the roster to be able to challenge richt.
I think we need a OC...good OC puts his Qb in a position to succeed..I think Richt is a little out of date...**** he is still talking about a fullback

Advertisement
Back