Do the Canes Need a True Offensive Coordinator?

Advertisement
Look, until we have an OL that can get enough push to convert 3rd and 1 and a QB who can complete 60% of his passes and be a vague running threat, we won't really know what Richt's play calling is worth.

I don't view that as an excuse so much as common sense. That said, this is the last year I'm willing to talk about Richt not having what he needs...after that it's on him and his recruiting.

Why do we keep giving coaches years to bring in their guys? In year 3 Peterson got Washington to the playoffs. I don’t want to bring up Saban but I will. How did he do after just a year with Shula’s Boys? How did Kirby Smart do after a year with Rick’s boys?

I’m not giving this staff anymore time sorry not in this environment where players contribute as true freshman and transfer like the wind. Put up or shut up it’s that simple..

Why do we keep giving coaches years to bring in their guys? In year 3 Peterson got Washington to the playoffs. I don’t want to bring up Saban but I will. How did he do after just a year with Shula’s Boys? How did Kirby Smart do after a year with Rick’s boys?

I’m not giving this staff anymore time sorry not in this environment where players contribute as true freshman and transfer like the wind. Put up or shut up it’s that simple..

We can argue if it's fair to blame Richt at this point or not, but the fact remains that our OL/QB play has been pretty poor. My point is that an OC would be nice, but it's not what's holding us back.

People keep talking about the offense being "vanilla" (which is a real stupid term btw) and that we need to "get guys in space", but that's just some crap they heard some guys say one time. The truth is that our guys get open but our QB doesn't get them the ball enough. Our RB are good, but our OL can't get them holes often enough. At times we struggle to do the basics, so I don't see how a fancier O is the answer. Go back and watch the VT game (not the highlights, the actual game) and you'll see Thomas/Richards being overthrown, passes thrown into traffic and picked off, and a fairly mobile QB getting sacked because the OL completely collapsed, not to mention a team that struggles to score from inside the red zone. We're the only team that's got a better chance at a TD from the 30 than from the 5. There was a whole lot of good stuff in that game too, but it should have been a huge *** whipping, not a comfortable win.

Again, blame Richt for his recruiting or not getting more out of the guys he has, but an OC isn't what's holding us back at this point.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I think an improved OL will fix a lot of what ails us from an offensive execution stand point. OL is one of the few position groups that you can't be really successful unless they are good to great.

I would never compare Rick to Saban, but since you did, in Saban’s second season he was only one game better than Rick. He lost 2 straight to finish the season, whereas Rick lost 3.

A one game difference.

Nice effort, though. Good try.

Lincoln Riley is cutting edge. He can scheme and X-and-O with anybody...

Riley is innovative, to be sure, but it doesn't hurt to have a QB what wins the Heisman and is first pick in the NFL draft. Even then, he only managed to 'scheme' 10 points in the second half and overtime in the Rose Bowl against UGA.

Advertisement
I would never compare Rick to Saban, but since you did, in Saban’s second season he was only one game better than Rick. He lost 2 straight to finish the season, whereas Rick lost 3.

A one game difference.

Nice effort, though. Good try.

What about Peterson you failed to mention him? I guess we might put Rick in the second tier of coaches? My point is in year 3 no one should get a pass it’s time to deliver.

We can argue if it's fair to blame Richt at this point or not, but the fact remains that our OL/QB play has been pretty poor. My point is that an OC would be nice, but it's not what's holding us back.

People keep talking about the offense being "vanilla" (which is a real stupid term btw) and that we need to "get guys in space", but that's just some crap they heard some guys say one time. The truth is that our guys get open but our QB doesn't get them the ball enough. Our RB are good, but our OL can't get them holes often enough. At times we struggle to do the basics, so I don't see how a fancier O is the answer. Go back and watch the VT game (not the highlights, the actual game) and you'll see Thomas/Richards being overthrown, passes thrown into traffic and picked off, and a fairly mobile QB getting sacked because the OL completely collapsed, not to mention a team that struggles to score from inside the red zone. We're the only team that's got a better chance at a TD from the 30 than from the 5. There was a whole lot of good stuff in that game too, but it should have been a huge *** whipping, not a comfortable win.

Again, blame Richt for his recruiting or not getting more out of the guys he has, but an OC isn't what's holding us back at this point.

I wouldn’t blame him for the last 2 years but I am not giving him a another pass in year 3. We will see what happens. I just don’t understand those already looking forward to 2019 like this year is another mulligan year. It isn’t and it shouldn’t be.

Advertisement
Someone may have said this but Richt covering offensive coordinator duties allows UM to pay the assistants a lot more money as there's one less mouth to feed. This is pretty important given the limited budget compared with some other schools.

Do I believe better Oline play(especially in the short-yardage/goal-line situations) will make this play-calling look better?

Yes.

Will improved QB play- from whoever is behind center - make this system/play-calling look better?

Absolutely.

But do I think this program would be better served having an experienced or cutting edge guy upstairs as another set of eyes to help Richt?

Yeah.

This isn't just a complete black-and-white issue, here

Rick's stardom days calling plays as an Offensive Coordinator? He was up in the BOX!

I wouldn’t blame him for the last 2 years but I am not giving him a another pass in year 3. We will see what happens. I just don’t understand those already looking forward to 2019 like this year is another mulligan year. It isn’t and it shouldn’t be.

Look, I'm saying a lot of negative things about our QB situation, the OL, and the fact that we probably won't be able to count an eleventy jillion TOs this year, but I still expect 10+ wins. I still expect us to get back to the ACCCG and to at least look like we belong there. I expect a bowl win. These are the things I expect, I'm just realistic enough to know they may not happen and to understand that there may be reasonable reasons for that.

Advertisement
What about Peterson you failed to mention him? I guess we might put Rick in the second tier of coaches? My point is in year 3 no one should get a pass it’s time to deliver.

You already had one questionable example, that was Saban.

Why didn’t I bring up Peterson? Another really dumb example, because Richt has only completed 2 years.

How’s that?

Do I believe better Oline play(especially in the short-yardage/goal-line situations) will make this play-calling look better?

Yes.

Will improved QB play- from whoever is behind center - make this system/play-calling look better?

Absolutely.

But do I think this program would be better served having an experienced or cutting edge guy upstairs as another set of eyes to help Richt?

Yeah.

This isn't just a complete black-and-white issue, here

This is exactly right.

It's not a mulligan year, but it's not a do or die year either (maybe for Searles cough cough), like some here might want it to be. I want to beat (crush and destroy) FSU, win the coastal again, and see the team improve further. As a fan, as long we keep momentum, take another step forward, whatever that ends up meaning, I will call it a success. A title next year would still be ahead of schedule IMO But definitely possible... and exactly what the team should be expecting I agree with you there.

Why do we keep giving coaches years to bring in their guys?
In year 3 Peterson got Washington to the playoffs. I don’t want to bring up Saban but I will. How did he do after just a year with Shula’s Boys? How did Kirby Smart do after a year with Rick’s boys?

Context is important in life. Learn to use it.
-In year 3 Peterson did get Washington to the playoffs (even if Oregon, USC, and Stanford were down that’s great). However in year two he was 7-6. Richt is still ahead after two years.
-Kirby took over a 10 win UGA team and led them to the playoffs with 33 seniors. (Miami had 12 this year)
-Saban already had a championship when he got to Bama so a better look would be his time at LSU. It was his 5th season when they won he championships (ironically how long it takes to get all of “your guys”) and in his third year at LSU he was 8-5

See how context just demolishes the argument that the Canes should be winning championships just two years after Al Golden.

Advertisement
Back