Do not try to tell me that Miami is a rebuild...

Advertisement
What I'm saying is these posts that set expectations always lead to later posts with higher expectations. That's not your fault, but it is a fact. There's somebody in here right now who's thinking they need to push this a little more so they can be more of a hero than you if things go well. And that will be followed by some other hero whose highest ideal in life is to be the guy who called it on the internet before it happened. Eventually, guys will be saying there's no reason we can't go undefeated in the coastal, 50% chance to win the ACCCG, a NY bowl win, and a top 3 class. And they won't just be saying there's a chance, that will be their expectation. That sounds silly, but I guarantee that'll be where some porsters are at by August.
We have the most talent in the Coastal. There is 0 reason we should not win the coastal. We have the highest paid coaching staff in the coastal. By far the best QB in the Coastal and more talent than anybody in the coastal. I think we have only a very slim chance of winning the ACC and pretty much no shot of winning a NY6 game.

I said before (and was ridiculed for it) and I will say it again. With Mario's jaw dropping actions he has surprised us with since getting here, In 2-3 years we will be ready to go head to head with Alabama. I will bring back that thread in time, God's willing.

We are about to have 20 player changes on top of the 6 transfer's we have already taken of a 85 man roster. It can be worded however someone would like, that's a rebuild, Jimmy Johnson style in a unbelievably short timeframe. Yes, we have a great QB playing behind a average OL throwing to WR's playing way below their talent level at this moment. We do not have a Harley much less a Rambo at the moment. We have 3 spots that are good right now and it is just the 11th Spring practice. I will wait for our final healthy roster in the Fall to evaluate this team. This will probably take 3 years, 2 if were lucky with very young players, not one off season. Now that's just my opinion. We all have our own.

We have the most talent in the Coastal. There is 0 reason we should not win the coastal. We have the highest paid coaching staff in the coastal. By far the best QB in the Coastal and more talent than anybody in the coastal. I think we have only a very slim chance of winning the ACC and pretty much no shot of winning a NY6 game.
I can’t fault your logic here, but coaching transitions are often harder than people think. It’s been a lot of years since this team was at all reliable, and that won’t go away year one. I think we’re looking at a 1998-99 type situation. We’ll start to see a great team emerging, but we’re still going to have some head scratchers.

Advertisement
Portal needs:

OL - At least 2, maybe 3 if a bad decision is made
DT - At least 1
DE - At least 2
LB - At least 2, depending on the defense we play
CB - At least 2, depending on decisions made

A lot of needs.

Some of it can be done, but gonna need some luck, too.
Facts. People dont understand the difference between good and great is not your starters vs my starters. It's my talent and DEPTH vs your talent and DEPTH. What your sub packages look like whats the rotation look like. I was called and clown when I said it might be close but LSU probably beats us awhile back. Wasn't crowning LSU as much as recognizing we don't have the depth of talent yet. If an injury at a position not Qb can end your season your not ready to compete for championships.

If we weren't in a rebuild, Mario wouldn't be taking this many transfers... He understands we're weak in the trenches which is the most important thing.

Advertisement
I agreed with you until you said slim chance of winning ACC.
We just saw Pitt win it last season so it is not out of the realm of possibility.

Checking the thread again and with spring practice almost over sorry to said but this is a rebuild/transition year we like it or not. There are glamorous holes on this roster. LB, DT, DE and an OT are needed to compete at high level. Even the coastal will be difficult, I fully can envision UVA running all game at our undersize DL and LB. Pitt is though tough game.

We are about to have 20 player changes on top of the 6 transfer's we have already taken of a 85 man roster. It can be worded however someone would like, that's a rebuild, Jimmy Johnson style in a unbelievably short timeframe. Yes, we have a great QB playing behind a average OL throwing to WR's playing way below their talent level at this moment. We do not have a Harley much less a Rambo at the moment. We have 3 spots that are good right now and it is just the 11th Spring practice. I will wait for our final healthy roster in the Fall to evaluate this team. This will probably take 3 years, 2 if were lucky with very young players, not one off season. Now that's just my opinion. We all have our own.
Our roster now and in June will look very different. Expect many transfers in and out.

Advertisement
I can’t fault your logic here, but coaching transitions are often harder than people think. It’s been a lot of years since this team was at all reliable, and that won’t go away year one. I think we’re looking at a 1998-99 type situation. We’ll start to see a great team emerging, but we’re still going to have some head scratchers.

This scenario is our floor.

Our ceiling depends on how quickly we can pull together.

I agreed with you until you said slim chance of winning ACC.
We just saw Pitt win it last season so it is not out of the realm of possibility.
Its not out of the realm of possibility, which is why I said slim. I highly doubt we can win it, but there is certainly a chance.

Advertisement
I wouldn’t call it a rebuild.
It’s a reinforcement or an augmentation.
We have a better qb and a better foundation than Michigan state did last year. People kept mentioning their use of the transfer portal and glanced over it like they got a a few players.
However, the turnover they had last year between transfer portal graduation and just walking papers was pretty remarkable.
So if Mario builds on what we have then we are actually gonna be pretty good. But now I’m pouring the Kool Aid powder in the jug and might add the sugar.
We weren’t anywhere near as bad as sparty was when the new coach got there so we don’t need to be as aggressive.
But this roster can potentially be a monster by game 1 if the pieces start falling into place.

Look at the turnover at sparty: 17 incoming transfers

This scenario is our floor.

Our ceiling depends on how quickly we can pull together.
6 wins is our floor. You're already setting expectations such that a reasonable year will seem a failure. The truth is that if a coach can do better in his first year than the previous year, that's a win. Sure, Mario is a wizard and all that, but there's still a culture of laziness and entitlement to overcome as well as a problematic roster to fix. ****, people are raving about how he doesn't let the kids loaf around at practice. That's like the easiest thing in the world, yet our coaches haven't done it and we think it's amazing. That's where we're at.

Put it this way, for at least 10 years one of my goals at the start of every season has been to see Miami look like they belong in a game with a top teas and with one exception I've been disappointed. This sh*t isn't nearly as easy as you think.

Pitt has had better coaching and been more sound than us for some time. Unlike Miami, Pitt does more with less.
We now have the best coaching staff in the Conference and one of the best in the nation.
We beat Pitt head-to-head at their place without that coaching.

Just because Pitt has good coaching does not mean our chances are slim. That is not logical.

Advertisement
Back