Do not try to tell me that Miami is a rebuild...

Advertisement
Just fixing the tackling would be a big boost…
Yes.
Also, a more sound Defense that improves on getting off the field on money downs. Way too many times we allowed teams to get first downs on 3rd/4th and longs and that will simply be unacceptable for Steel and Strong.

Conversely, on offense having a good veteran RB rotation would be a big boost for grinding games out.
We had basically a Covid freshman and two true freshmen play down the stretch which is also unacceptable.

Because Mario is the type of coach that needs a massive talent advantage to win over teams and we don't have a massive talent advantage over Clemson.
He did not have a huge massive talent advantage at one of the toughest places to play in Ohio.

I think you may be exaggerating a bit.

However, I do think beating Clemson will be difficult and will agree that they are the team to beat. We just disagree on the chances of it happening.

He did not have a huge massive talent advantage at one of the toughest places to play in Ohio.

I think you may be exaggerating a bit.

However, I do think beating Clemson will be difficult and will agree that they are the team to beat. We just disagree on the chances of it happening.
That is an outlier. How many times has he lost to lesser talented teams? That is why I said its a slim chance. There is the chance, but only a slim chance, that he pulls an Ohio state and beats Clemson. Especially if Clemson still has DJ as their QB next year. With a guy like TVD we can score on anyone and beat anyone.

Advertisement
Doesn't what Cristobal has done (and is planning to do) go against the notion that it's not a rebuild?

He's targeting 8+ more portal guys, to add to the 6 he's already brought in. Evidently he plans to turn things around quickly here (and you can with great recruiting), but clearly he wasn't impressed at all with the roster when he arrived.
Isn’t there a limit on portal guys, like maybe 7?

That is an outlier. How many times has he lost to lesser talented teams? That is why I said its a slim chance. There is the chance, but only a slim chance, that he pulls an Ohio state and beats Clemson. Especially if Clemson still has DJ as their QB next year. With a guy like TVD we can score on anyone and beat anyone.
We could hypothetically be playing Clemson twice in less than a month so adjustments can be made but we shall see.

I am just looking at odds and chances.
If a team like Pitt can beat Clemson and win the Conference that gives us hope.
Are the odds in our favor? Not really.
But are they slim? I will not say that either.

6 wins is our floor. You're already setting expectations such that a reasonable year will seem a failure. The truth is that if a coach can do better in his first year than the previous year, that's a win. Sure, Mario is a wizard and all that, but there's still a culture of laziness and entitlement to overcome as well as a problematic roster to fix. ****, people are raving about how he doesn't let the kids loaf around at practice. That's like the easiest thing in the world, yet our coaches haven't done it and we think it's amazing. That's where we're at.

Put it this way, for at least 10 years one of my goals at the start of every season has been to see Miami look like they belong in a game with a top teas and with one exception I've been disappointed. This sh*t isn't nearly as easy as you think.

I don’t see this scenario without a CATASTROPHIC run of injuries.

Otherwise it WILL NOT HAPPEN.

Last time we hired a competent football coach with a good quarterback and defensive talent everyone shytted on, we won nine games his first season.

We have better coaches and quarterback than when Richt took over. Some say less than 10 wins is a failure. I agree to an exten, but understand hiccups can,and probably will, happen.

Regardless, I never judge the team by wins and losses. You can play well and lose or poorly and win. I judge by fundamentals and sensible strategy. AI am patient with any coach as long as I see these things.

Advertisement
I wouldn't call it a rebuild. It's more like a reinvigoration of a portal-augmented staff decapitation with a dynamic resuscitation of fundamentals with a corresponding fiscal emancipation by board members undergoing Mario de-emasculation. Not quite a rebuild. But close.

All I know is that the next few years will be very exciting.
I just want to be competitive with the top teams. We have been embarrassed against the likes of Clemson, Alabama, LSU.

We could hypothetically be playing Clemson twice in less than a month so adjustments can be made but we shall see.

I am just looking at odds and chances.
If a team like Pitt can beat Clemson and win the Conference that gives us hope.
Are the odds in our favor? Not really.
But are they slim? I will not say that either.
Narduzzi is also known for playing close and once in a while beating more talented teams. So its apples to oranges.

It may have been many times over last decade+, but Manny is leaving the next coach with an experienced star QB and a 2nd freshman QB that could be even better one day, at least one elite RB, a great young WR room, a nearly can't-miss DT (they are so rare), and 3+ potentially elite high-round NFL DB's and/or strikers. Among other nice young pieces like Arroyo con pollo, Chase Smith and more. We even have our kicker for the next three years.

There is plenty for the next coach to work with and win 10 games next year. TVD and Garcia alone will be a big part of why some coaches might be willing to come. Finding a great QB is the hardest part of coaching. With the right staff, this could be an uber-quick turnaround, especially with the portal being such an effective weapon these days.

LFG.

Go Canes.
It’s a rebuild. Nice write tho

Advertisement
Ppl do realize we’ve been stuck in mediocrity since literally 2005, right?

We’ve had the most talent in The Coastal since 2004, and that’s gotten us exactly 1 Coastal title in 17 yrs. Lol. I’m not sure the avg. fan realize this, but it takes much more than just talent to win. I can tell u there’s a lot of talented guys out there that’s not sniffing the NBA or NFL b/c they weren’t winners. That’s a totally different mindset, folks.

This program has been operating as a mom & pops outfit for almost 2 decades, yet we’re putting the pressure on Mario to undue almost 2 decades worth of bull chit in less than a yr? Lol. C’mon; let’s be reasonable. The facts show even the greats, like the all time greats need at least 2 yrs to overhaul bad habits, let alone 9 months. Lol.

Richt took 2 yrs (twice)
Saban took 2 yrs (twice)
Smart took 2 yrs
JJ took 2 yrs (this coming off a Nat’l Title)
Carroll took 2 yrs
Aranda took 2 yrs
Fickell took 2 yrs
Bowden took 2 yrs
Dabo took 3 yrs
Meyer took 2 yrs
Cristobal took 2 yrs in Eugene

Etc, etc, etc

The data shows when coaches r taking over chit shows, no matter how great they r, no matter the talent on the roster, to weed out the cancerous plague of mediocrity & complacency, it takes 2 no more than 3 yrs. The coaches that come in & win right off the back winning 10+ games r one’s walking into ideal situations (see Coker, Erickson, Meyer (OSU), Miles)

Again, I would strongly caution to temper expectations, focusing on team improvement, player development, weeding out guys who are not Miami caliber (from a mindset standpoint), & getting this chit back on track for the big payback in the next coming yrs. Jmo based upon history.

We’ve had the most talent in The Coastal since 2004, and that’s gotten us exactly 1 Coastal title in 17 yrs. Lol. I’m not sure the avg. fan realize this, but it takes much more than just talent to win. I can tell u there’s a lot of talented guys out there that’s not sniffing the NBA or NFL b/c they weren’t winners. That’s a totally different mindset, folks.

This program has been operating as a mom & pops outfit for almost 2 decades, yet we’re putting the pressure on Mario to undue almost 2 decades worth of bull chit in less than a yr? Lol. C’mon; let’s be reasonable. The facts show even the greats, like the all time greats need at least 2 yrs to overhaul bad habits, let alone 9 months. Lol.

Richt took 2 yrs (twice)
Saban took 2 yrs (twice)
Smart took 2 yrs
Carroll took 2 yrs
Aranda took 2 yrs
Fickell took 2 yrs
Bowden took 2 yrs
Dabo took 3 yrs
Meyer took 2 yrs

Etc, etc, etc

The data shows when coaches r taking over chit shows, no matter how great they r, no matter the talent on the roster, to weed out the cancerous plague of mediocrity & complacency, it takes 2 no more than 3 yrs. The coaches that come in & win right off the back winning 10+ games r one’s walking into ideal situations (see Coker, Erickson, Meyer (OSU), Miles)

Again, I would strongly caution to temper expectations, focusing on team improvement, player development, weeding out guys who are not Miami caliber (from a mindset standpoint), & getting this chit back on track for the big payback in the next coming yrs. Jmo based upon history.
Rome wasn't built overnight....

Rome wasn't built overnight....

Per some, it’s supposed to be, though. I remember I had a talk w/ my ex-wife’s cousin who is the biggest Afro-American Bamer homer I’ve ever met. Lol. We were talking CFB, he’s a big historian. He said, from 1993-2006, I never thought I would see another nat’l title again, that’s how bad things were, but we said the same thing after Bear left, & we’ll probably say the same thing after Saban leaves. But, when u’re a blue blood, all u need is that one coach, & it’ll happen eventually.

I’ve held out that hope; I hoped Richt would fit that bill, recreating some of that old Bulldog fight & magic, but bro was a complete shell of himself. EVEN THEN, we saw a glimpse of what could happen w/ a competent, dedicated coach. I say 2, no more than yr 3, we’re back at the table.

Advertisement

Richt took 2 yrs (twice)
Saban took 2 yrs (twice)
Smart took 2 yrs
Carroll took 2 yrs
Aranda took 2 yrs
Fickell took 2 yrs
Bowden took 2 yrs
Dabo took 3 yrs
Meyer took 2 yrs

Etc, etc, etc

Well said! 💯💯💯

We now have the best coaching staff in the Conference and one of the best in the nation.
We beat Pitt head-to-head at their place without that coaching.

Just because Pitt has good coaching does not mean our chances are slim. That is not logical.
That’s not at all what I said. I’m saying it’s not so surprising that Pitt is defending champ when you look at how well they use the talent they have. Saying even Pitt can win it isn’t quite the knock you think it is.

I’m just saying don’t take it for granted that we win the coastal. We do that every year, because on paper we’re the best team. It takes more than that, and it takes time to build what we need. Maybe we’ll win it maybe not, but it’s no sure thing.

Per some, it’s supposed to be, though. I remember I had a talk w/ my ex-wife’s cousin who is the biggest Afro-American Bamer homer I’ve ever met. Lol. We were talking CFB, he’s a big historian. He said, from 1993-2006, I never thought I would see another nat’l title again, that’s how bad things were, but we said the same thing after Bear left, & we’ll probably say the same thing after Saban leaves. But, when u’re a blue blood, all u need is that one coach, & it’ll happen eventually.

I’ve held out that hope; I hoped Richt would fit that bill, recreating some of that old Bulldog fight & magic, but bro was a complete shell of himself. EVEN THEN, we saw a glimpse of what could happen w/ a competent, dedicated coach. I say 2, no more than yr 3, we’re back at the table.
I think 2-3 years is right. Thing is, it’s going to be real annoying getting through that 1-2 year period where everybody expects greatness right now. Then again, the last 20 years have been real annoying so it shouldn’t be that bad. Buckle up.

Richt took 2 yrs (twice)
Saban took 2 yrs (twice)
Smart took 2 yrs
Carroll took 2 yrs
Aranda took 2 yrs
Fickell took 2 yrs
Bowden took 2 yrs
Dabo took 3 yrs
Meyer took 2 yrs

Etc, etc, etc

Man I don’t have the energy anymore. Let them believe what they want and get hyped..setup for the “Lane bros” in the fall etc etc..I’m just gonna sit back and let it happen

Advertisement
Back