DL Coach search

Advertisement
Advertisement
http://www.gwinnettdailypost.com/ne...cle_b235c6b2-a765-5760-a2d8-6703c809417e.html

Simpson’s official title with the Falcons is defensive assistant, though his duties are a lot more varied than that indicates.

On the field, he will work primarily assisting defensive coordinator Marquand Manuel and defensive line coach Bryant Young in helping prepare a young and improving group of linemen that include holdovers like Grady Jarrett and newcomers like first-round draft pick Takk McKinley and free agent signee Dontari Poe.

But he also will spend plenty of time off the field on administrative duties, such as watching film and evaluating players, duties he admits he’s still getting used to after three months on the job.

“Well, I work with the D-line everyday, so it is defined that way,” Simpson said. “I’m supporting everybody in different roles. I’m studying pass protections or I’m working on installs and PowerPoints for our defense to get to iPads. So there’s a lot of jobs that are really lending themselves towards me learning what we’re doing and helping grow me as a coach.

“You know what? The biggest difference is I’m in a totally new role. Organizationally, I’m totally opposite of where I was. I’m trying to support (Bryant Young), our D-line coach. I’m working with him every day. I’m supporting Marquand every day, and the other coaches defensively. I’m working on projects for Coach Quinn. Everything has really been different, so it’s been a learning curve.”

So far, both Quinn and Manuel have been very pleased with the adjustments Simpson has made to his new job.

Quinn isn’t surprised at all, considering he and Young have known Simpson longer than anyone else on the Falcons’ staff. The head coach remembers the positive first impression Simpson made on them when they first met eight years ago while attending a summer camp at the University of Florida during Quinn’s tenure as defensive line coach with the Seattle Seahawks.

The qualities he saw in Simpson, along with other observations he made while recruiting some of his former players at Buford while defensive coordinator at Florida, are what Quinn says has made Simpson a very quick study and a natural for his current job.

“Learning to evaluate from the college players that are here, so he went through pro free agents and college free agents,” Quinn said. “That’s an important thing to go through. It’s like his first cycle of players. From a pro side, from a college side and then now, getting on the field to work with these guys. Each time he goes through that cycle, it adds to his experience.

“NFL players, they want to see, ‘Can this coach help me?’ You can clearly see the type of teacher he is, the way he communicates, the way he can articulate it, the way he can teach it. He is a teacher at heart.”

From Manuel’s perspective, the biggest thing Simpson has brought to the table thus far is his adaptability and being able to find his specific role with the Falcons rather quickly.

“It’s been real cool with the guys making that transition from high school to college for a little bit and coming right to the league,” Manuel said. “I think he’s done an awesome job just trying to pick up on the speed of the game. Football is football like we always talk about, but trying to find your niche and find your groove, that’s what we’ve been trying to help him with.”

As much as Simpson has relished his new role, the beginning of OTAs has hammered home the role he likes most about his new job — just getting out on the field and coaching.

“Any football coach will tell you the best part of your day is your time on the grass and getting out there and being at practice and being with the players, watching them develop and coming up with a plan for improvement and watching those guys improve,” Simpson said. “Those kind of things are really fun.”

Advertisement
http://www.gwinnettdailypost.com/ne...cle_b235c6b2-a765-5760-a2d8-6703c809417e.html

Simpson’s official title with the Falcons is defensive assistant, though his duties are a lot more varied than that indicates.

On the field, he will work primarily assisting defensive coordinator Marquand Manuel and defensive line coach Bryant Young in helping prepare a young and improving group of linemen that include holdovers like Grady Jarrett and newcomers like first-round draft pick Takk McKinley and free agent signee Dontari Poe.

But he also will spend plenty of time off the field on administrative duties, such as watching film and evaluating players, duties he admits he’s still getting used to after three months on the job.

“Well, I work with the D-line everyday, so it is defined that way,” Simpson said. “I’m supporting everybody in different roles. I’m studying pass protections or I’m working on installs and PowerPoints for our defense to get to iPads. So there’s a lot of jobs that are really lending themselves towards me learning what we’re doing and helping grow me as a coach.

“You know what? The biggest difference is I’m in a totally new role. Organizationally, I’m totally opposite of where I was. I’m trying to support (Bryant Young), our D-line coach. I’m working with him every day. I’m supporting Marquand every day, and the other coaches defensively. I’m working on projects for Coach Quinn. Everything has really been different, so it’s been a learning curve.”

So far, both Quinn and Manuel have been very pleased with the adjustments Simpson has made to his new job.

Quinn isn’t surprised at all, considering he and Young have known Simpson longer than anyone else on the Falcons’ staff. The head coach remembers the positive first impression Simpson made on them when they first met eight years ago while attending a summer camp at the University of Florida during Quinn’s tenure as defensive line coach with the Seattle Seahawks.

The qualities he saw in Simpson, along with other observations he made while recruiting some of his former players at Buford while defensive coordinator at Florida, are what Quinn says has made Simpson a very quick study and a natural for his current job.

“Learning to evaluate from the college players that are here, so he went through pro free agents and college free agents,” Quinn said. “That’s an important thing to go through. It’s like his first cycle of players. From a pro side, from a college side and then now, getting on the field to work with these guys. Each time he goes through that cycle, it adds to his experience.

“NFL players, they want to see, ‘Can this coach help me?’ You can clearly see the type of teacher he is, the way he communicates, the way he can articulate it, the way he can teach it. He is a teacher at heart.”

From Manuel’s perspective, the biggest thing Simpson has brought to the table thus far is his adaptability and being able to find his specific role with the Falcons rather quickly.

“It’s been real cool with the guys making that transition from high school to college for a little bit and coming right to the league,” Manuel said. “I think he’s done an awesome job just trying to pick up on the speed of the game. Football is football like we always talk about, but trying to find your niche and find your groove, that’s what we’ve been trying to help him with.”

As much as Simpson has relished his new role, the beginning of OTAs has hammered home the role he likes most about his new job — just getting out on the field and coaching.

“Any football coach will tell you the best part of your day is your time on the grass and getting out there and being at practice and being with the players, watching them develop and coming up with a plan for improvement and watching those guys improve,” Simpson said. “Those kind of things are really fun.”

Hiring Simpson for DL coach from the sound of what he's doing with Atlanta, seems like it would be a big step down for a rising star like him. His logical next step would be as a DC somewhere.

Simpson said: “You know what? The biggest difference is I’m in a totally new role. Organizationally, I’m totally opposite of where I was. I’m trying to support (Bryant Young), our D-line coach. I’m working with him every day. I’m supporting Marquand ( DC) every day, and the other coaches defensively. I’m working on projects for Coach Quinn( HC). Everything has really been different, so it’s been a learning curve.”

From the way he's performed to date with Atlanta, and considering how the teams that we play increasingly seem to have Diaz figured out, I think he would be a great hire as DL to future DC..... but that's another topic.

So great hire, if we could, but I doubt it would happen. 1st its a step down for Simpson, 2nd Diaz would be against hiring someone for DL coach who while it would help him, would obviously be viewed as his standby replacement.

IF it's Simpson, I don't believe this is an "underwhelming" hire. Patke was underwhelming. This would be outside the box for sure - Simpson has had an unconventional career track - but the fact remains that Quinn thought highly enough of him as a coach to pry him away from his first college gig after two months.

Things I would like about him -

- Apparently very well-respected and as a defensive coach
- NFL experience as an assistant DL coach learning from one of the best minds in the business
- HC experience, albeit at the HS level (but an extremely impressive resume there)
- Very well-connected in Georgia

Things I would be concerned with -

- No college coaching experience (two months at Ga. State doesn't count)
- No recruiting or development "pedigree" - not saying he can't recruit or develop players, but we can't look at his resume and say "he pulled X guy" or "he developed Y guy" at the college level
- This would be almost certainly be a "stepping stone" gig - which I may actually be okay with (see below)

Unconventional to be sure, but right now I'd lean on the side of liking it for a couple key reasons. First, as I've stated elsewhere I love position coaches who are upwardly mobile. Miami was at their best when they had coaches who stayed for 3-5 years and then got coordinator or HC jobs or bounced to the NFL. We've trended in the other direction lately... This guy spent 20 years at Buford and built a powerhouse. Everyone LOVES him in Georgia. His record there was a ridiculous 164-12 so it's safe to say he knows about the culture of winning. I think he felt like he gave all he could to HS coaching and wanted to see where things took him. Apparently they took him to the NFL just weeks after landing a college job.

In reading some of the articles on Simpson, it looks like he just loves to coach. Even the stuff I've read with him as an assistant with the Falcons - his favorite part of the day is getting on the grass and grinding. He might not want to just upload data and organize gameplans for Bryant Young and Dan Quinn all day. Everything I've read indicates he has a real passion for the game, a passion for his players (in a non-Penn-State way), and just loves to coach.

It comes down to whether you look at this as hiring someone without the requisite P5 experience, or getting in on the ground floor of a really good football coach who's trending up in the ranks. If I had to put a word on it, I'd label this hire "risky", but definitely not "underwhelming."

Last edited:
Advertisement
Hiring Simpson for DL coach from the sound of what he's doing with Atlanta, seems like it would be a big step down for a rising star like him. His logical next step would be as a DC somewhere.

Simpson said: “You know what? The biggest difference is I’m in a totally new role. Organizationally, I’m totally opposite of where I was. I’m trying to support (Bryant Young), our D-line coach. I’m working with him every day. I’m supporting Marquand ( DC) every day, and the other coaches defensively. I’m working on projects for Coach Quinn( HC). Everything has really been different, so it’s been a learning curve.”

From the way he's performed to date with Atlanta, and considering how the teams that we play increasingly seem to have Diaz figured out, I think he would be a great hire as DL to future DC..... but that's another topic.

So great hire, if we could, but I doubt it would happen. 1st its a step down for Simpson, 2nd Diaz would be against hiring someone for DL coach who while it would help him, would obviously be viewed as his standby replacement.

Disagree that it's a step down. He's not the DL coach in Atlanta, he's a defensive assistant. From the various articles I've read his real passion is being on the field and coaching every day so I think he'd consider the opportunity to be the guy at Miami. Before Quinn hired him he was hired to be DL coach at Georgia State, so it's not like he was coaching DL at Bama or Ohio State before Atlanta. I think he'd take the DL coach gig here for a few years and then jump to either a DC position somewhere or back to the NFL. And I'm totally fine with that.

Not sure about that. First, we are not sure what he wants to ultimately become. He is basically right now assisting and supporting the DL coach and DC. He is learning his chops to eventually coach. If he truly wants to get his hands dirty coaching guys, then UM may be an opportunity to actually apply to the coaching aspect what he is learning on the technical and evaluating end. DL will be a stepping stone to maybe a DC position if that is his goal. Why not start at NFL U with the right compensation?

And I don't get the sense Diaz is lacking in any confidence about what he does. If he is, he should not be coaching at this level.

Advertisement
The best part about hiring Simpson is that we’re getting someone who never sat in a recruits living room and talked sh.t about the U. That’s at least 50% of the battle right there. Get someone from the sec or acc and they’ve all done it. It’s a bad look as far as integrity to have a recruit trust you when last year you were at his friends house badmouthing the school you now want him to come to.
I would also add that I think that the past 2 drafts have seen more players from Georgia HS’s get drafted than any other state. So don’t downplay the recruiting aspect of this hire if it happens.

I am going to disagree with the majority on this. This dude is very well respected. Very well respected by the SEC. We need more DT's from OOS. He made it all the way to the NFL as a coach. As previously mentioned, he could be our defensive version of Gus Malzahn. He isn't going to be lazy like Kul was recruiting. I think people forget how much recruiting has to go on for a HS team to win that many championships. He is obviously a good coach and motivator as well.

Obviously to make it to the NFL he has to be a good coach. He obviously had to learn a lot about defense in his current position so he can be a big help to Diaz. Being a previous HC that had to manage everything, being a DL coach will be very easy for him. Previous HC's at the HS level usually end up being the best position coaches or more at the next level. If Diaz leaves I bet this guy could take over and the D wouldn't miss a beat and may even improve.

Also, for the naysayers, look at how many HS coaches Dabo Sweeney built his coaching staff with. Nobody is griping about his coaching staff are they. Coach Richt wants coaches committed to him like Dabo has around him. Maybe they have a very good relationship from all of Richt's years at UGA. Jess could end up being our Hartley of Georgia and we have already been recruiting decently up there as it is.

Advertisement
Back