DL Coach search

Advertisement
The best part about hiring Simpson is that we’re getting someone who never sat in a recruits living room and talked sh.t about the U.

Very good point and that is why Rumph struggles to keep the top notch CB's and all those American Heritage recruits at home.

Also, it appears as though coaches from OOS are just as successful, if not more successful, than those in state at recruiting S FL talent. These S FL recruits really seem to like those country boys and it isn't just the one's that are seeking $$$.

On its own I really like this hire. However, combined with the Patke hire im a bit worried. Minimal college football coaching experience in our front 7. Add in Rumph and Banda, I can almost guarantee we have the least amount of college coaching experience in th ACC on D.

On its own I really like this hire. However, combined with the Patke hire im a bit worried. Minimal college football coaching experience in our front 7. Add in Rumph and Banda, I can almost guarantee we have the least amount of college coaching experience in th ACC on D.

Agree on face value - a lot of "newbies" on that side of the ball as far as P5 coaching goes.

Advertisement
Advertisement
He’s well respected but we ultimately lack experience on the defensive side of the ball

Rumph 3 year coaching Miami at cb as an assistant
Banda 3rd year coaching safeties as an assistant
Patke 1st year coaching linebackers at Miami(he actually coached them quite a bit last year too)
Simpson 2nd year in college

Hope he and patke can provide some help on the defensive side of the ball recruiting wise...

lmao...Richt is trying to go after GA recruits hard. That dude has a very respected name in that state. He won't have a problem gaining an audience with any recruit or school in that state. Whether he can coach remains to be seen, but I see the direction Richt is trying to go. Savage!

Advertisement
He’s well respected but we ultimately lack experience on the defensive side of the ball

Rumph 3 year coaching Miami at cb as an assistant
Banda 3rd year coaching safeties as an assistant
Patke 1st year coaching linebackers at Miami(he actually coached them quite a bit last year too)
Simmons 2nd year in college

Hope he and patke can provide some help on the defensive side of the ball recruiting wise...

Simpson* but yes, agreed.

I'm not sure if he can recruit but considering the amount of respect he has in GA, it's safe to say that we will be in it for any top talent in that state. All the young athletes in that state know his name. If he can own the Atlanta metro area the way Hartley owns Duval then I'm in!

Advertisement
I think he'll be back in the NFL before then.
So why hire him when we are in the midst of overhauling our dline numbers in the state of Florida’s most talented dline class in along time if there is a chance for him to jump to the league

Well there you go. What are your thoughts D$?

You summed it up very well. Risky, high-upside hire.

I wonder what his personality is like. If he can recruit, his connections become that much more important. That region is loaded with DTs. South Florida produces elite pass rushers and at least one excellent DT per year, but if we can supplement that with big-time DTs from SEC country we are cooking.

So why hire him when we are in the midst of overhauling our dline numbers in the state of Florida’s most talented dline class in along time if there is a chance for him to jump to the league

Because he's a good coach. I've outlined my opinion on why I actually like position coaches that don't stick around too long. Gimme 3-5 years from him and I'll be happy. I don't like "lifers" except at HC. =P

dont like it don like it at all

We just had arguably one of the best teachers of the DL here before him, teachers not recruiter before someone jumps in lol, this guy has no college level experience, same goes with recruiting, the NFL and college are way different when it comes to coaching, this needed to be a homerun hire with a big name DL coach and it just isn’t

Advertisement
Back