DL Coach search

Advertisement
Out of everything written here in every post BROCK IS SPOT ON ...

HALL OF FAME 1ST BALLOT POST.

Do this and RING follows EPIC

GOCANES

Ummm except that defense lead the nation in Sacks, top 5 for TFL and had 31 turnovers. If we produce that again, increase our 3rd down percentage on D and O and our Pass D, we'll be okay. Our Pass defense was much more of a problem than our Run D, but I expected some growing pains breaking 4 new starters.

Just Saying..

You didn’t disagree with him at all...and he’s right, part of the reason we suck on third down is because our defensive style leads to big holes in the defense if we don’t get the QB.

You didn’t disagree with him at all...and he’s right, part of the reason we suck on third down is because our defensive style leads to big holes in the defense if we don’t get the QB.

A big reason for our success this year was because of our ability to create turnovers. 31 turnovers is a lot, and if can create production, we're going to be exactly where we all want to be. Now, we can get into schematic, as far as why we play zone more on 3rd down. He plays aggressive on 1st and 2nd down to get the team behind the chains, which he did a good job of, and then play conservative on 3rd Down. He needs to mix it up a bit, but if you think getting TFL and a sack is big play, then we disagree on what a big play is. If we can match 31 turnovers, when we the coastal again, if we can get more than that, we're playing in playoffs. Defense wasn't the main problem this year, in fact it kept us in the game when the offense **** the bed, which they did quite a bit this year.

The offense was 125th in 3rd down percentage. If that gets better, I put money that everything else on Defense would get better as well. The fact we went 10-3, with a chance to get into playoffs in December with that stat is amazing. That means we left a lot of table on that side. We were 123 in time of possession. If you don't think those two stats affected the defense, then I don't know what to tell you.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Dont see that happening on defense. Diaz is who he is.

On Offense, all depends on the QB.
Agreed, however... If QB play improves and stays on the field longer, the D won't be giving up as many 3rd downs because they won't be on the field as much. So, in a sense, the O improving 3rd down percentage in a big way will help the D.

The problem is you can't only hire guys you have worked with (and possibly fired) when those guys were not able to get your team over the top in the past.

One of the biggest issues in the NFL is the same recycled coaches yielding the same recycled schemes, culture and results.
I'm not advocating that approach. I'm merely cautioning of its likelihood. I'd be ecstatic with any number of DL coaching candidates.

What will be desultory though is if we grab some unknown who has never done anything in recruiting or coaching of significance.

I'm not advocating that approach. I'm merely cautioning of its likelihood. I'd be ecstatic with any number of DL coaching candidates.

What will be desultory though is if we grab some unknown who has never done anything in recruiting or coaching of significance.

Absolutely agree - i think it's a likelihood as well given the other defensive hires on staff. I just think it's a status quo, ho-hum approach that doesn't take you where you need to be.

Advertisement
With the way the defensive staff recruited this season it’s clear we need a recruiter on that side of the ball.

Advertisement
Agreed, however... If QB play improves and stays on the field longer, the D won't be giving up as many 3rd downs because they won't be on the field as much. So, in a sense, the O improving 3rd down percentage in a big way will help the D.
As much **** as I give Diaz, i think his defense would be just fine, flaws and all, if we were a quick strike offense. Its one thing to have a Diaz defense when your offense goes thtough 2 quarter droughts. Its another to have a Diaz defense when your offebse is scoring at will in 2 min spurts.

As much **** as I give Diaz, i think his defense would be just fine, flaws and all, if we were a quick strike offense. Its one thing to have a Diaz defense when your offense goes thtough 2 quarter droughts. Its another to have a Diaz defense when your offebse is scoring at will in 2 min spurts.

Either case would help the defense. Long drives to give rest (they played a ton of snaps last year) or a high powered offense to make the opposition press and make mental mistakes his attacking style will capitalize on.

Advertisement
Slow
Either case would help the defense. Long drives to give rest (they played a ton of snaps last year) or a high powered offense to make the opposition press and make mental mistakes his attacking style will capitalize on.
slow methodical football just isn’t UM football. These kids do not operate well doing that

A better running game, especially in short yardage, will be a huge plus in 2018. Material improvements from the QB play, whoever starts, should be an added boost to our Def.

I can’t emphasize enough how important this DL hire is. Our Def staff is already green as ****. We must bring in someone with a legit resume, who can recruit and teach. Money should not be an issue

Haven’t read the entire thread to see if his name has been mentioned but another possible candidate with ties to Manny Diaz:

Bo Davis. D-Line coach at UTSA currently. Was at Texas with Manny from 2011-2013. Has been DLine coach for the Dolphins and 2 stunts at Alabama. Proven recruiter and was on a defensive staff for a D that was top 10 in several key categories last year

Advertisement
Back