DL Coach search

Does Rocker prefer Richt and Manny, or does he prefer Pruitt and Sherrer?

Seems like that's the only question that matters ...

Not leaving UGA is one thing. He brought some continuity to Smart's staff. Not leaving Knoxville is something completely different ... Unless he really just clicks with Pruitt, and prefers SEC.

Advertisement
I have to question richt when he says there's a ton of interest for the position honestly..

yah? from where? our 2 main targets noped out of here real fast and we have a bunch of newbies that he's put on staff so far apart from kul

patke is a great example

Who's two main targets, Richt or yours? Because I never heard Richt say those were his top targets. Maybe he did interview him, maybe he didn't, maybe he did and didn't like them. You have absolutely no idea and no reason to even question Richt, especially with how honest he has been since he got here.

Id think with the 10th coach hire of Patke being able to go out and recruit, I think it'd take a lot of pressure off whoever is our DL coach as far as recruiting is concerned.
Obviously you can't ignore it like Kool basically did. But I mean I dont think we need an elite DL recruiter. We just need a good one. Im more worried that who we hire is a good actual Coach.

What proof do we have that Patke can recruit? He gets a visit from Coburn?

He interviewed with bama less than 2 weeks ago. Fact is he didn’t interview with us so we don’t even know if we pursued him like that

I understand that. But sometimes this stuff goes on through back channels. Richt may have reached out to his agent. His agent tells Partridge of the interest, Partridge uses this opportunity as leverage to renegotiate his current contract w/o even having to interview. If you recall, it was reported on here that Partridge came out last spring to observe some practices. So there was a prior relationship between Richt and Partridge that would have made it very feasible that Richt would have reached out to gage interest. Just because he did not interview does not mean that this still did not have an impact. Certainly, getting an apparent bump in salary and job title yesterday after he interviews with Bama a couple of weeks ago does not make sense from the timing aspect.

Advertisement
Since 1 and 2 are off the board, I think we need to give Kenny Holmes a shot. He has the experience as a DL coach, so this wouldn't be new to him.

Since 1 and 2 are off the board, I think we need to give Kenny Holmes a shot. He has the experience as a DL coach, so this wouldn't be new to him.

Not to get into the specific qualifications of Kenny Holmes.

But just as a general principle, we are not some third tier program that should be giving someone “a shot”. That sounds like what mediocre programs with nothing to lose do.

Those of us that contribute money and want results want the best possible candidate, under the current circumstances.

I really don’t care if it’s a name the geniuses at CIS are happy with or not. I do care if I can look at the search and am satisfied it was the best possible combination of actual d-line coach and recruiter they could get, and I don’t care if they get him now or two days before spring practice.

Last edited:

But just as a general principle, we are not some third tier program that should be giving someone “a shot”. That sounds like what mediocre programs with nothing to lose do.

Those of us that contribute money and want results want the best possible candidate, under the current circumstances.

I really don’t care if it’s a name the geniuses at CIS are happy with or not. I do care if I can look at the search am satisfied it was the best possible combination of actual d-line coach and recruiter they could get, and I don’t care if they get him now or two days before spring practice.

I mean, he was a DL coach at New Mexico State, San Diego, Idaho, and now FIU. I'm all for taking the best candidate, but we'll have to pluck a top tier DL coach at this stage, and that will be tough sale. We can do it, Other than Rocker and the dude from Auburn, I can't think of any other DL coach that has resume as similar to Holmes.

I mean, he was a DL coach at New Mexico State, San Diego, Idaho, and the now FIU. I'm all for taking the best candidate, but we'll have to pluck a top tier DL coach at this stage, and that will be tough sale. We can do it, Other than Rocker and the dude from Auburn, I can't think of any other DL coach that has resume as similar to Holmes.

Burton, MSU has coached one of best run defenses in football.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I mean, he was a DL coach at New Mexico State, San Diego, Idaho, and now FIU. I'm all for taking the best candidate, but we'll have to pluck a top tier DL coach at this stage, and that will be tough sale. We can do it, Other than Rocker and the dude from Auburn, I can't think of any other DL coach that has resume as similar to Holmes.

Like I said, I wasn’t referring specifically to his qualifications, or lack thereof. If he’s the best on the board based on availability, their criteria and budget, then fine. Our budget is no longer bottom of the barrel. It’s not going to be a million a year, but I’m sure we’re in the 500k or more per year range for the right guy.

Having said that, I’m a believer in getting the best candidate available, not the best cane available.

Last edited:
The longer this plays out, the more worried I become. We can’t strike out on a DL coach. The trenches is everything.

I’m not worried at all. It’s not like there’s only 3 or 4 guys that are very good at coaching d-lines out there. There are plenty of qualified candidates with experience. Richt already said they’d rather be right than fast.

That is absolutely the right philosophy.

I had a director once that would get really antsy whenever I had a vacant position. He wanted me to fill it right away, but I learned the hard way something one of my first managers taught me “hire in haste, regret in leisure”.

Once you hire somebody, if it’s a bad fit, you’re stuck for a while. It’s disruptive, time consuming, and a pain in the *** to fire people.

Get the right person, that’s most qualified and a good fit for the team. That takes time.

I really don’t care if it’s a name the geniuses at CIS are happy with or not. I do care if I can look at the search am satisfied it was the best possible combination of actual d-line coach and recruiter they could get, and I don’t care if they get him now or two days before spring practice.
These are my thoughts too, we can wait to get the best fit for our program. CMR knows how important this hire is, he will get it right.

Advertisement
Id offer Rocker 750 K plus the AHC title and get a booster to let him live in a house rent free. Gotta play like the big boys on this one.

In what world is that a good resume?

What proof do we have that Patke can recruit? He gets a visit from Coburn?
We shouldn't have had a shot with Coburn, and he got him to OV and actually made it a pretty close decision. And he had like a week to do it. That was pretty good.

But my point was at the very least Patke is an extra guy to help recruit. It is without a doubt going to make the DL coaches job easier recruiting.

Advertisement
The longer this plays out, the more worried I become. We can’t strike out on a DL coach. The trenches is everything.
Taking time to hire a DL coach might have absolutely nothing to do with “striking out.” If Rick is being honest about all the interest in the position, then it’s best to be prudent and cull through all those candidates.

Yea this right here .. For the past 10 years we have been giving people "shots"

Id offer Rocker 750 K plus the AHC title and get a booster to let him live in a house rent free. Gotta play like the big boys on this one.

Is he worth that? No sense in overpaying either, if you don’t have to.

Can we get a better teacher, a better coach, that’s younger, hungrier and that relates to recruits better?

I mean, if I wanted the perfect candidate, that’s what I’d be looking for. But that’s just my own personal bias.

Just asking as devil’s advocate.

I would like to see Kevin Patrick, I think he's the right fit.

Kevin Geene he is currently the OLB's coach for the Packers

haven't heard his name talked about,

and totally just pulled that out of my *** but I hear he is one **** of a teacher at the NFL level, and we all know how passionate that S.O.B is!
he's currently coaching OLB's for the Packers

Advertisement
Back