DJ is going to be GOOD

Status
Not open for further replies.
People forget how many of our CBs weren’t really good until their 4th year on campus. DVD himself, iic. Maxey. MJack got good year 3. Elder really stepped up year 3. It’s not crazy to think Ivey will step up year 4. Not in the position to predict it, and will wait to see, but won’t be surprised to see a big improvement.

Advertisement
Ivey had some technique issues and confidence issues. Good coaching can fix both. Ive never thought he was nearly as bad as the mob does, it’s just when he ***** up he does it big.

I know for a fact coaches and players were surprised at how he looked in spring , noticeable difference. I mentioned it once in an update but I didn’t make a big deal of going forward because I knew what the responses would be.

Watching the spring game I could see he looked really good , well until Avantae **** near dislocated his ankle on Roosters td run. Then everyone here ripped him for missing the tackle lol.

We’ll see more press which will help all of our cb’s, it’s criminal they didn’t do this more or were coaches to do it. I never crown anybody but I expect a good year and wouldn’t be shocked if he is drafted , but he’ll have to Do it when the lights are on.

As I’ve said , I’m confident in the cb room with recruiting and coaching because we finally have somebody who has a clue what they’re doing and that’s huge.
He’s another guy that can have 2 more years, another year with trob may be able to move him up draft boards.

I’ve been disappointed by off-season hype in the past. But just like when Lashlee took over the offense we saw some big improvements, I could see TRob having an impact on Ivey’s development.

The good news is we have 4 serviceable upperclassmen in Stevenson, DJ, ABJ and Couch. And our safeties and strikers will tighten the seams..

65C3AD32-F7B4-46AC-9D6A-DDADC37F7680.gif

Advertisement
The word is, he’s figured it out. T-Rob has been coaching him up. He’s comfortable in press now and his mental errors are going away. I’m told he is playing up to his measurable’s. His confidence is through the roof and we’re in for a surprise. I’m told he will be getting drafted. He’s not the fastest kid in pads, but minus his lack of football speed, everything else is coming together. His peers trust him. It’s time to believe he’s going to be an asset, not a liability. Lastly, he’s got hands and will catch what’s thrown his way.
View attachment 146573

I cannot believe this. Too many CIS porsters have convinced me that DJ is horrible, a bust, and irredeemable. Surely, those message board geniuses know what they are talking about...

I cannot believe this. Too many CIS porsters have convinced me that DJ is horrible, a bust, and irredeemable. Surely, those message board geniuses know what they are talking about...
If you have eyes, you can see what has been clear as day which is Ivey is not a natural CB. He does not possess elite CB traits, and no coach is going to magically develop that for him. Now TRob can definitely make him more serviceable than he has been -- being smarter, using better technique, knowing where the ball is at all times, etc. And I do think with his natural size and competitiveness, he is an asset for us.

But it's not mopey to say simply that DJ is not a CB1 or CB2 at the P5 level, but he can be an asset if coached properly.

Advertisement
If you have eyes, you can see what has been clear as day which is Ivey is not a natural CB. He does not possess elite CB traits, and no coach is going to magically develop that for him. Now TRob can definitely make him more serviceable than he has been -- being smarter, using better technique, knowing where the ball is at all times, etc. And I do think with his natural size and competitiveness, he is an asset for us.

But it's not mopey to say simply that DJ is not a CB1 or CB2 at the P5 level, but he can be an asset if coached properly.

Look, I don't give a ****e about my eyes or your eyes. I care about T-Rob's eyes. And if T-Rob thinks he has some moldable clay, I'll go with his assessment, as he has a much better track record of getting CBs drafted than either you or I have.

But, as is par for the course on this board, someone is distorting what I said. I have no idea whether the original poster will be correct or incorrect, but I am simply observing that we had sooooo many "resident geniuses" tell us that Ivey was a disaster.

I'm not going to get into an argument over "degree". I don't know if T-Rob's optimism on Ivey will be proved to be right. I'm just saying that if you left it up to a CIS vote, Ivey would be tossed off the team.

This is not just "trust any UM coach". This is "T-Rob has a pretty good track record, so I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt".

And I'll let other people obsess about Ivey's hips.

Look, I don't give a ****e about my eyes or your eyes. I care about T-Rob's eyes. And if T-Rob thinks he has some moldable clay, I'll go with his assessment, as he has a much better track record of getting CBs drafted than either you or I have.

But, as is par for the course on this board, someone is distorting what I said. I have no idea whether the original poster will be correct or incorrect, but I am simply observing that we had sooooo many "resident geniuses" tell us that Ivey was a disaster.

I'm not going to get into an argument over "degree". I don't know if T-Rob's optimism on Ivey will be proved to be right. I'm just saying that if you left it up to a CIS vote, Ivey would be tossed off the team.

This is not just "trust any UM coach". This is "T-Rob has a pretty good track record, so I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt".

And I'll let other people obsess about Ivey's hips.
You love to argue about absolutely nothing. No one said get rid of the guy. No one said he is trash. You are doing your usual in taking an extreme view when it's not necessary. It is absolutely realistic to say that Ivey ain't great and no coach can make up for his limitations. Period.

He can be serviceable however, and I think he can help us. But expecting him to be a great CB is foolish when we can all see that he is limited and is average at best.

You love to argue about absolutely nothing. No one said get rid of the guy. No one said he is trash. You are doing your usual in taking an extreme view when it's not necessary. It is absolutely realistic to say that Ivey ain't great and no coach can make up for his limitations. Period.

He can be serviceable however, and I think he can help us. But expecting him to be a great CB is foolish when we can all see that he is limited and is average at best.

What was my "extreme view"? That I am laughing at CIS porsters who have no background in scouting or coaching?

LOTS of people have said Ivey is trash. To say otherwise is to ignore the Ivey hatred that has been posted for years. And nobody is saying that CRITICISM is unwarranted, only that "final conclusions" as to his talent might be a bit premature, especially given his prior coaching.

That is all. There is no "argument". Just me mocking all the "Ivey is the worst" know-nothings.

What was my "extreme view"? That I am laughing at CIS porsters who have no background in scouting or coaching?

LOTS of people have said Ivey is trash. To say otherwise is to ignore the Ivey hatred that has been posted for years. And nobody is saying that CRITICISM is unwarranted, only that "final conclusions" as to his talent might be a bit premature, especially given his prior coaching.

That is all. There is no "argument". Just me mocking all the "Ivey is the worst" know-nothings.
Fair point. I was just concerned that fans would be putting unrealistic expectations onto T Rob. And Ivey for that matter. The guy is what he is, but for sure a good coach can make him a bit better.

Let's just don't go expecting to see him all of a sudden next season as a shut down CB making first team All ACC. That's just not happening. But if he can take that next step, our secondary will be so much better for it.

Advertisement
Advertisement
At some point you have to look at coaching. When someone has all the intangibles and continues to make mental errors, what else could it be? I think T Rob will allow us to separate who is actually talented and who isn’t. Coaching won’t be the issue if our secondary still sucks this year.
It could be a lot things - bytches, weed, da Frat, etc. The most important thing is a made up mind and that comes from within.

People forget how many of our CBs weren’t really good until their 4th year on campus. DVD himself, iic. Maxey. MJack got good year 3. Elder really stepped up year 3. It’s not crazy to think Ivey will step up year 4. Not in the position to predict it, and will wait to see, but won’t be surprised to see a big improvement.
Brandon Mcgee was another one who frustrated people for 3 years, then had a solid senior season and ended up getting drafted and hanging in the NFL for a bit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back